• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Draft lottery will be on MLB Network and MLB.com today at 2:30 Pacific - Angels are selecting 8th overall

And despite the Angels losing a couple slots again, it doesn't seem like it'll be a big deal. The guys available at the 6th pick and 8th are pretty comparable. 

Typically the top 3 guys really separate themselves. And everything after that 4-15ish is close in value, and 15-30 as well. 

This last draft was the strongest in YEARS. So picks 1-5 were all elite and the guys taken at the end of the first round were typically guys you get in picks 10-15 in a normal class. The biggest difference really was the 2nd round. Many of those guys were legit 1st rounders any other year. And wouldn't you know, the Angels just happen to not have a 2nd round pick the year where it actually means something. Mariners made out like bandits though. 

Edited by Second Base

20 hours ago, Second Base said:

And despite the Angels losing a couple slots again, it doesn't seem like it'll be a big deal. The guys available at the 6th pick and 8th are pretty comparable. 

Typically the top 3 guys really separate themselves. And everything after that 4-15ish is close in value, and 15-30 as well. 

This last draft was the strongest in YEARS. So picks 1-5 were all elite and the guys taken at the end of the first round were typically guys you get in picks 10-15 in a normal class. The biggest difference really was the 2nd round. Many of those guys were legit 1st rounders any other year. And wouldn't you know, the Angels just happen to not have a 2nd round pick the year where it actually means something. Mariners made out like bandits though. 

That sounds reasonable enough.  However, i'd still prefer to be picking at #6 than #8.

On 12/5/2023 at 4:17 PM, cals said:

I guess I don’t understand why they need a lottery.  W-L itself was a pretty good indicator of who sucked and who needed higher draft picks.  The lottery hurts competitive balance, it doesn’t help in any way.

I'd have less problem with the lottery if it didn't set the order from round one on to the end. Keep the lottery for the gimmick (it's not preventing tanking) and then from round 2 on it's where each teams record placed them. 

So this year the Angels take the 8th pick in the first round and then 6th the rest of the draft. 

38 minutes ago, Blarg said:

I'd have less problem with the lottery if it didn't set the order from round one on to the end. Keep the lottery for the gimmick (it's not preventing tanking) and then from round 2 on it's where each teams record placed them. 

So this year the Angels take the 8th pick in the first round and then 6th the rest of the draft. 

That's exactly what it does. It only applies to the first round.