• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

The Official Los Angeles Angels 2023-2024 Hot Stove Offseason Thread

Chuck

1 hour ago, Erstad Grit said:

Yes I have heard that argument. 

How in the world you think you would know what I've heard or read is insanely ridiculous. 

Ok. My bad. No logical person has said we are better without Ohtani.  

Well I will say this Perry is truly picking at every peanut shell left on the floor and praying there is a nut inside still. I mean if he stands just right you could confuse him with Bellinger if you turn your head and hold your breath I guess lol 

56 minutes ago, Chitown27Fan said:

Well I will say this Perry is truly picking at every peanut shell left on the floor and praying there is a nut inside still. I mean if he stands just right you could confuse him with Bellinger if you turn your head and hold your breath I guess lol 

The depth pieces in minors costing Arte peanuts.

36 minutes ago, Fullmer17 said:

Well… that’s a surprise considering the Astros need to lock up some big names this next year

Bregman will cost over 200 mill and will test the market. He might be a player Angels go after. Astors would have great pen with Hader in it and that is no bull.

2 hours ago, Chitown27Fan said:

The original "clean peanut" metaphor (coined by @tdawg87) involved poop.

35 minutes ago, EdmontonAngelsFan said:

Robert Murray Angels news:

-Not wanting to add a DH but are talking to everyone. Very wide net cast in FA

-Says he's heard nothing is close

-Don't know what will happen when Arte is the owner. Could wake up one day and spend.

-Doesn't see us adding a big name

This sounds like just more of the same that everyone has been saying for a few weeks now.

I don't feel bad for Perry in any way, not that anyone asked. 

I am not "mad" they haven't signed an expensive or big name guy. I'll be fine if they do, probably not too upset if they don't.

But when you talk the way he's talked (more on that in a minute), hire Ron Washington+Porter+EYS, lose Ohtani (more on that), brag about it, then Ron talks the way he's talked about running down the West, returning to greatness, and winning...you had better show everyone that you mean it. And I think blaming the market or Arte for a lack of progress is pretty ignorant. It doesn't seem like he has a plan. 

Perry has said the following quotes about the offseason:

"There's lots of players that would love to play for [Wash]. We've heard that echoed all offseason."
"There's still a ton of players out there; guys that can help this team, make this team better and we will explore."
"We want guys that want to play. We have some guys that are motivated. We want to add to that, bring some edge to the group." 
"(Pitching) is definitely a priority, whether it's the rotation or the bullpen. We can use help in both areas." 
Garcia and Cimber improved the "depth overall of the bullpen."
“This is a group that wants to win ... It's still early in the sense of a market standpoint and what's available. So we'll continue to have discussions, whether it be free agents or whether it be through trade, and we'll see where the offseason takes us.”
(On the White/Thomas deal:) "The deal gave us some financial flexibility, which will allow us to pursue some other players. 

"You can never have enough (starters), right?" 
“We're looking to improve, and we’re looking at all areas...I know everybody rolls their eyes. But you guys watched this. We can improve everywhere. I don't think anybody's gonna argue with me on that. We can improve in the bullpen, in the rotation, the lineup, from a run-prevention standpoint and defensively.”

He said this on the possibility of losing Ohtani: 

“We've spent a lot of time up to this point, going through 1,000 different scenarios.” Minasian said. “So 'difficult' would be the wrong word. I think we have to be able to make adjustments. We have to have a Plan A, Plan B, Plan C, Plan D and be able to think on our feet. We have to explore the trade market, maybe more than we have in the past. There are some interesting names on the trade front that we’ve had discussions about.”

So they've gone through 1,000 scenarios, had Plans A - D, thought on their feet, explored the trade market (more than the past, which was already a fair amount)...and produced this? It's not so much that there are a lot of free agents left, but they weren't even in on Imanaga, Teoscar, Stroman, Sonny Gray, E Rodriguez, Y Rodriguez, Hicks, Flaherty or Bader. Essentially, I don't believe there's any reports that they made a serious push for any of these guys.

A GM that talks like this surely would be active on the FA and trade fronts, right? I don't think it matters if he went in saying it's a transition year, they're retooling, reshuffling, and stacking the deck for 2025 or something. Perry put all his eggs in winning and improving right now. And he's done not a single significant thing this offseason. Not a single move that really adds wins to this team. If Arte is letting him spend $4 million on Garcia and $1 million on essentially AAA depth, I don't for a second believe he is "not allowed" to make smaller, mid-level signings. Or trades--why would Arte tell him he can't make a trade? The Diamond money was always going to be guaranteed (by all accounts), so can we stop saying Arte froze Perry's credit card until he knew? At this point, I just am kind of tired of Perry promising to compete, do everything he can to improve, wanting to win, guys wanting to play for Wash, ownership always spending, and having plan after plan after plan, then doing nothing at all. 

Finally, the reason I don't feel bad for him is that in addition to promising the world and delivering a gas station sandwich collection of pitchers so far, HE is choosing to work for Arte. If Arte is really as controlling as some think, refusing to allow Perry to make a single move or transaction, why would you ever want to work for someone like that? I get there are only 30 GM jobs and the prestige, but it makes Perry seem like an extremely incompetent GM. You're fine being seen as a joke and the guy that lost Ohtani, wasted Trout, and couldn't surround him with talent so you could be a figurehead GM? That's not worth it to me. Go be an AGM somewhere and prepare for the next job. 

30 minutes ago, ThisismineScios said:

So they've gone through 1,000 scenarios, had Plans A - D, thought on their feet, explored the trade market (more than the past, which was already a fair amount)...and produced this? It's not so much that there are a lot of free agents left, but they weren't even in on Imanaga, Teoscar, Stroman, Sonny Gray, E Rodriguez, Y Rodriguez, Hicks, Flaherty or Bader. Essentially, I don't believe there's any reports that they made a serious push for any of these guys.

Plans A-D kind of go out the window when nobody wants to play on your team.

39 minutes ago, ThisismineScios said:

I don't feel bad for Perry in any way, not that anyone asked. 

I am not "mad" they haven't signed an expensive or big name guy. I'll be fine if they do, probably not too upset if they don't.

But when you talk the way he's talked (more on that in a minute), hire Ron Washington+Porter+EYS, lose Ohtani (more on that), brag about it, then Ron talks the way he's talked about running down the West, returning to greatness, and winning...you had better show everyone that you mean it. And I think blaming the market or Arte for a lack of progress is pretty ignorant. It doesn't seem like he has a plan. 

Perry has said the following quotes about the offseason:

"There's lots of players that would love to play for [Wash]. We've heard that echoed all offseason."
"There's still a ton of players out there; guys that can help this team, make this team better and we will explore."
"We want guys that want to play. We have some guys that are motivated. We want to add to that, bring some edge to the group." 
"(Pitching) is definitely a priority, whether it's the rotation or the bullpen. We can use help in both areas." 
Garcia and Cimber improved the "depth overall of the bullpen."
“This is a group that wants to win ... It's still early in the sense of a market standpoint and what's available. So we'll continue to have discussions, whether it be free agents or whether it be through trade, and we'll see where the offseason takes us.”
(On the White/Thomas deal:) "The deal gave us some financial flexibility, which will allow us to pursue some other players. 

"You can never have enough (starters), right?" 
“We're looking to improve, and we’re looking at all areas...I know everybody rolls their eyes. But you guys watched this. We can improve everywhere. I don't think anybody's gonna argue with me on that. We can improve in the bullpen, in the rotation, the lineup, from a run-prevention standpoint and defensively.”

He said this on the possibility of losing Ohtani: 

“We've spent a lot of time up to this point, going through 1,000 different scenarios.” Minasian said. “So 'difficult' would be the wrong word. I think we have to be able to make adjustments. We have to have a Plan A, Plan B, Plan C, Plan D and be able to think on our feet. We have to explore the trade market, maybe more than we have in the past. There are some interesting names on the trade front that we’ve had discussions about.”

A GM that talks like this surely would be active on the FA and trade fronts, right? I don't think it matters if he went in saying it's a transition year, they're retooling, reshuffling, and stacking the deck for 2025 or something. Perry put all his eggs in winning and improving right now. And he's done not a single significant thing this offseason. Not a single move that really adds wins to this team. If Arte is letting him spend $4 million on Garcia and $1 million on essentially AAA depth, I don't for a second believe he is "not allowed" to make smaller, mid-level signings. Or trades--why would Arte tell him he can't make a trade? The Diamond money was always going to be guaranteed (by all accounts), so can we stop saying Arte froze Perry's credit card until he knew? At this point, I just am kind of tired of Perry promising to compete, do everything he can to improve, wanting to win, guys wanting to play for Wash, ownership always spending, and having plan after plan after plan, then doing nothing at all. 

Finally, the reason I don't feel bad for him is that in addition to promising the world and delivering a gas station sandwich collection of pitchers so far, HE is choosing to work for Arte. If Arte is really as controlling as some think, refusing to allow Perry to make a single move or transaction, why would you ever want to work for someone like that? I get there are only 30 GM jobs and the prestige, but it makes Perry seem like an extremely incompetent GM. You're fine being seen as a joke and the guy that lost Ohtani, wasted Trout, and couldn't surround him with talent so you could be a figurehead GM? That's not worth it to me. Go be an AGM somewhere and prepare for the next job. 

After all is said and done by Perry more will be said then done. Many were drinking the Kool-Aid he was selling. This season could be fun watching young players develop as this teams forms a new identity.

1 hour ago, ThisismineScios said:

I think blaming the market or Arte for a lack of progress is pretty ignorant. It doesn't seem like he has a plan. 

This is really kind of a stupid post. If Arte won't spend money, you're gonna blame the GM? You can sprinkle sugar on that shit, but don't call it candy. 

1 hour ago, ThisismineScios said:

This is why I wish they'd just drop that narrative and call it what it is (or should be, IMO, for 2024 at least), and stop putting these expectations on young players and the fanbase. We've spent the last decade aggressively promoting and rushing prospects due to a bloated payroll and neglected minor league development system in this desperate attempt to win during the Trout/Ohtani window and I can't imagine that pressure is good for a bunch of kids. Professional athletes they may be, but there's no good reason to put that on them now so why bother?

It also makes it more digestible for fans if they opt to do things like sign Enrique Hernandez or friggin' Joey Votto or Moustakas or any other has-been retread, because they can at least tout it as an addition intended to help develop the youngsters into a future vet leadership core.