• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

The Official Los Angeles Angels 2023-2024 Hot Stove Offseason Thread

Chuck

8 hours ago, jsnpritchett said:

It's still below MLB average.

It doesn’t mean it’s good.  One of the ways that the current roster improves is by reducing strikeouts, Trout included.  Without Ohtani, the Angels will need everyone to improve, and adding strikeouts to the offense doesn’t do that.

For me, what would make this offseason a success would be if one of the more impactful free agents saw their market disappear and ended up landing in the Angels lap on a one year contract so they could flip him at the deadline for a good prospect. Someone like Rhys Hoskins or JD Martinez. 

I find that unlikely though. 

The other thing that would make it a success would be someone offering up a significant prospect package for Rengifo/Ward. Again, unlikely. 

The likely outcome here is....

A. The Angels continue to round out the edges of the roster with inexpensive vets like Kike or Tim Anderson, start to rebuild their farm and save their money, and then rotate the DH spot for Rendon and Trout. 

B. Overspend on Bellinger and Snell, hope for the best, surrender their draft picks and figuratively kick the can down the road. 

Disappointing as it is, I'm hoping for option A. I loved watching Snell in San Diego. When he's right he's an ace, no doubt about it. But I want the Angels to have no part of him just because I think they need 7 inning quality starts more than 5 frame shutouts. 

2 hours ago, Second Base said:

But I want the Angels to have no part of him just because I think they need 7 inning quality starts more than 5 frame shutouts. 

Nobody pitches 7 innings anymore. A handful of pitchers average 6, but we don't even see all that many complete games these days. Personally, I'd take 5 shutdown innings in a heartbeat. 

5 hours ago, AngelStew43 said:

It doesn’t mean it’s good.  One of the ways that the current roster improves is by reducing strikeouts, Trout included.  Without Ohtani, the Angels will need everyone to improve, and adding strikeouts to the offense doesn’t do that.

Let me be clear: I don't want the Angels to sign him. All I'm saying is that Ks really aren't a huge problem for him. He's been terrible at the plate the past two years, his defense is slipping, and he's coming off of double hernia surgeries. 

6 hours ago, Pancake Bear said:

Nobody pitches 7 innings anymore. A handful of pitchers average 6, but we don't even see all that many complete games these days. Personally, I'd take 5 shutdown innings in a heartbeat. 

More than anything though, the issue is the 2 out of 6 seasons where he exceeded 130 innings.

$200 million is a lot for that.

42 minutes ago, Chuck said:

Lugo is supposed to be the best one right?  I think ranked as high as 8 by BA and ranked like 34 by MLB.  They gave him 2.3 million to sign.  What’s the best international signing the Angels have done in the last 10 years? Like Suarez or Barria? Maybe Quero would have been?

Edited by UndertheHalo

11 minutes ago, UndertheHalo said:

Lugo is supposed to be the best one right?  I think ranked as high as 8 by BA and ranked like 34 by MLB.  They gave him 2.3 million to sign.  What’s the best international signing the Angels have done in the last 10 years? Like Suarez or Barria? Maybe Quero would have been?

The one and only Roberto Baldoquin

11 hours ago, Second Base said:

For me, what would make this offseason a success would be if one of the more impactful free agents saw their market disappear and ended up landing in the Angels lap on a one year contract so they could flip him at the deadline for a good prospect. Someone like Rhys Hoskins or JD Martinez. 

I find that unlikely though. 

The other thing that would make it a success would be someone offering up a significant prospect package for Rengifo/Ward. Again, unlikely. 

The likely outcome here is....

A. The Angels continue to round out the edges of the roster with inexpensive vets like Kike or Tim Anderson, start to rebuild their farm and save their money, and then rotate the DH spot for Rendon and Trout. 

B. Overspend on Bellinger and Snell, hope for the best, surrender their draft picks and figuratively kick the can down the road. 

Disappointing as it is, I'm hoping for option A. I loved watching Snell in San Diego. When he's right he's an ace, no doubt about it. But I want the Angels to have no part of him just because I think they need 7 inning quality starts more than 5 frame shutouts. 

The 5.0 inning thing for Snell is overblown because he pitched 180 innings in 32 starts that's 5 2/3 innings average. 17 of his 32 starts last year were 6 inning starts, and 3 were 7 innings. In the other 12, he was pulled early from three. All early season starts. They were being cautious. 

He pitched 5 innings 9 times. Does he go deep into games? No, but he's not a 5 inning guy usually either. 2/3 of his starts were longer than 5 innings. 

Also his 2023, he allowed 0 runs in 13 starts. 1 run in 4. and 2 runs in 8 starts. He allowed 3 runs in 5 more. And more than 4 in just 2. 

He was the Cy Young winner and was flat out dominant. 

At the reported 9 years 270 I balk too, but 8 years at a 24-26 M a year average, is fine for your Ace. And you build up the pen and the rest of the rotation. 

Sign him.

41 minutes ago, Hubs said:

The 5.0 inning thing for Snell is overblown because he pitched 180 innings in 32 starts that's 5 2/3 innings average. 17 of his 32 starts last year were 6 inning starts, and 3 were 7 innings. In the other 12, he was pulled early from three. All early season starts. They were being cautious. 

He pitched 5 innings 9 times. Does he go deep into games? No, but he's not a 5 inning guy usually either. 2/3 of his starts were longer than 5 innings. 

Also his 2023, he allowed 0 runs in 13 starts. 1 run in 4. and 2 runs in 8 starts. He allowed 3 runs in 5 more. And more than 4 in just 2. 

He was the Cy Young winner and was flat out dominant. 

At the reported 9 years 270 I balk too, but 8 years at a 24-26 M a year average, is fine for your Ace. And you build up the pen and the rest of the rotation. 

Sign him.

Look beyond last year plz.

2022: 10 of 24 starts were 5 IP or less.
2021: 19 (!!!) of 27 starts were 5 IP or less.
2020: obviously a weird year, never pitched more than 5.2 IP
2019: 11 of 23 starts were 5 IP less.

Discounting 2020, 40 of his 74 starts were 5 IP or less. More than half. The track record of him being a ~5 IP pitcher is much lengthier than 2023. 

No one is denying that when Blake Snell is on, he's one of the best pitchers in baseball. The problem is he really has been on for two seasons, and the rest of the time he's just another decent to solid SP, another Patrick Sandoval, and I don't know how long you can expect him to maintain that going forward. If the Angels were built to contend in '24, I'd feel a little differently, but odds are the likeliest years we get GOOD Blake Snell are the next two years, when we're not likely to contend.  He is, in my opinion, the perfect guy for a team to sign that already has a clear #1 and a path to the playoffs. Not a staff ace. If they definitely think they'll sign Fried or Burnes or Bieber or Buehler next year, then I'd be a little more open to signing Snell this year, but hard to ensure that'll happen.

Edited by totdprods