• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

The Official Los Angeles Angels 2023-2024 Hot Stove Offseason Thread

Chuck

Totally off-topic - I was browsing the Giants rotation and saw Ross Stripling listed, and it got me thinking back on that supposed Arte-nixed deal of Rengifo and Ward (and maybe a prospect?) for Pederson, Stripling, and Pages...and how it was actually a good non-trade. Pages would've been a good get, but neither Stripling nor Pederson have been all that great (especially in the subsequent year or two following that near-trade) whereas Rengifo and Ward have been at least as productive, if not better. Perhaps a rare instance where Arte's meddling was good?

Edited by totdprods

3 minutes ago, jsnpritchett said:

Interesting that they're saying he's going to be converted to a starter.  Maybe that was the deciding factor for him. 

Apparently he’s said in the past that he still wants to start, so it likely was the deciding factor.

I wanted him for the Angels, but that contract is about the max I thought he’d get & I wouldn’t offer him a chance to start.

4 minutes ago, totdprods said:

Totally off-topic - I was browsing the Giants rotation and saw Ross Stripling listed, and it got me thinking back on that supposed Arte-nixed deal of Rengifo and Ward (and maybe a prospect?) for Pederson, Stripling, and Pages...and how it was actually a good non-trade. Pages would've been a good get, but neither Stripling nor Pederson have been all that great (especially in the subsequent year or two following that near-trade) whereas Rengifo and Ward have been at least as productive, if not better. Perhaps a rare instance where Arte's meddling was good?

The only thing I wonder is if the Angels might’ve made the playoffs in 2020 if they had Stripling and Pederson.

They only missed the playoffs by 3 games, and that was with Julio Teheran’s 10.05 ERA making 9 starts.

Both had bad 2020s, but we don’t know how they play if they’re on a different team.

Edited by BTH

7 minutes ago, BTH said:

The only thing I wonder is if the Angels might’ve made the playoffs in 2020 if they had Stripling and Pederson.

They only missed the playoffs by 3 games, and that was with Julio Teheran’s 10.05 ERA making 9 starts.

Both had bad 2020s, but we don’t know how they play if they’re on a different team.

Angels were 10 games back in west that year

22 minutes ago, Chuck said:

Damn I really wanted Hicks. FFS, do something Arte. 

He's had such a weird career.  Goes from High A where he was primarily a SP to MLB at age 21 in 2018 pitching out of the pen.  Sits out 2020 because of Covid.  Plays in the AZ Fall League in 2021, years after he had already established himself as a MLB player.

Agree he would have been a nice signing.

10 minutes ago, EdmontonAngelsFan said:

There really aren't many "big" free agents left.  Snell and Bellinger, as Rosenthal mentions.  Then Montgomery (who pretty much everyone seems to think will ultimately end up back with the Rangers), Chapman (who really doesn't make sense for the Angels unless they move Rendon to full-time DH), Hader (who I've said elsewhere would be a bad signing for the Angels), and maybe Soler/Martinez if you want to play loose with the definition of "big"?

I still think Snell and Bellinger are huge risks, but it wouldn't surprise me if Arte wanted one/both of them to make some sort of splash.

7 minutes ago, BTH said:

This seems to go against what many (Heyman, Murray, AngelsWin) have said about the Angels being in a holding pattern.

Does it though?  The Angels could be in on these guys and still be in a holding pattern.  Hell they will be in a holding pattern until they spend money.  The Cubs were in a holding period until this week. Most MLB teams are in a holding pattern.  

4 minutes ago, Stradling said:

Does it though?  The Angels could be in on these guys and still be in a holding pattern.  Hell they will be in a holding pattern until they spend money.  The Cubs were in a holding period until this week. Most MLB teams are in a holding pattern.  

Rosenthal is saying he expects them to do something big.

Whereas Heyman said that “at the moment, I don’t think the Angels are doing anything.”

And Murray said “I don’t think they’re going to spend big, big money this offseason.”

Just now, BTH said:

Rosenthal is saying he expects them to do something big.

Whereas Heyman said that “at the moment, I don’t think the Angels are doing anything.”

And Murray said “I don’t think they’re going to spend big, big money this offseason.”

Spending $28 million on a player and leaving $40 million left before the tax is both.