• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

The Official Los Angeles Angels 2023-2024 Hot Stove Offseason Thread

Chuck

In a 24 hour span we have reports that we are finalists for Imanaga by two reporters, then told we aren't serious for Imanaga by another. One report that essentially says Snell is ours but it will have to wait till spring training, then told angels wont spend big this offseason... Not even annoyed by it, it's just humorous to follow the crap thrown at the wall by reporters in a slow news cycle. As others have mentioned though Murray does seem to know the most about the Angels out all baseball reporters. He did say today in his podcast that the Angels have checked in on any and every player possible this offseason. Clearly Minasian is working the phones trying to make this team better but dominoes havent started to fall quite yet.

10 minutes ago, Angel Oracle said:

Some compare Duvall to Renfroe.

But Duvall’s RISP OPS puts Renfroe’s to shame (career RISP OPS over .800, including over 1.100 in 2021 and a solid mark in 2023).

RISP we were awful last year.

I'm on the opinion that it is a skill set- some call it the clutch factor.

I'm more open to Duvall and JT than T Hernandez for our team. 

That's not even the best aspect of Duvall. Last year for Boston he hit .278 with a .933 OPS in home games, and .219 with a .745 OPS in away games. Not to mention he's only entering his age 35 season, so he probably hasn't even reached his peak yet.

Wait a minute...

1 hour ago, Ochocinco! said:

In a 24 hour span we have reports that we are finalists for Imanaga by two reporters, then told we aren't serious for Imanaga by another. One report that essentially says Snell is ours but it will have to wait till spring training, then told angels wont spend big this offseason... Not even annoyed by it, it's just humorous to follow the crap thrown at the wall by reporters in a slow news cycle. As others have mentioned though Murray does seem to know the most about the Angels out all baseball reporters. He did say today in his podcast that the Angels have checked in on any and every player possible this offseason. Clearly Minasian is working the phones trying to make this team better but dominoes havent started to fall quite yet.

Glass Half Full GIF by GIPHY News

https://www.mlb.com/news/yankees-rumors-latest-trades-and-signings

Jan. 8: Yankees, RHP Stroman have 'mutual interest' (report)
The Yankees don't have much to show yet for their efforts to upgrade their starting rotation this offseason. They lost out on Yoshinobu Yamamoto. They aren't considered among the reported finalists for Shōta Imanaga. MLB Network insider Jon Heyman recently wrote in the New York Post that the Yanks "remain apart in negotiations" with top free-agent starters Blake Snell and Jordan Montgomery.

But as the Yankees' push for pitching continues, perhaps they will come to an agreement with Marcus Stroman. According to USA's Today Bob Nightengale, the two sides have "mutual interest," something which began during the GM Meetings in November. This comes one day after Nightengale wrote that Stroman told the Yanks that "he's seriously interested in signing with them, but the Yankees have declined to make an offer."

The Giants, Angels, Orioles and Red Sox have also been connected to the 32-year-old right-hander, and a reunion with the Cubs "can't be ruled out," according to MLB.com's Mark Feinsand. On Friday, MLB Network insider Jon Paul Morosi mentioned the Phillies as "a really good possibility" for Stroman.

1 hour ago, Angel Oracle said:

Some compare Duvall to Renfroe.

But Duvall’s RISP OPS puts Renfroe’s to shame (career RISP OPS over .800, including over 1.100 in 2021 and a solid mark in 2023).

Just a similar profile. Low BA, low OBP, high SLG. 
I mean, .239/.300/.478/.777 to .232/.291/.472/.763? About as close to identical slashes as two MLBers could be. 

image.png

24 minutes ago, totdprods said:

Just a similar profile. Low BA, low OBP, high SLG. 
I mean, .239/.300/.478/.777 to .232/.291/.472/.763? About as close to identical slashes as two MLBers could be. 

image.png

Duvall doesnt start with Ren so thats a big -  and he also doesnt look like trout....so thats a huge negative. His middle name is Zanzibar which is all he has going for him.

27 minutes ago, jsnpritchett said:

If someone like Duvall is the main option at this point, I'd honestly just rather send Adell/Moniak out there for the full year and finally answer where either/both of them can hack it.  

I agree let Adell and Moniak get the AB but DH is open but I do not sign Duvall. His road numbers were not good last year.

1 hour ago, jsnpritchett said:

If someone like Duvall is the main option at this point, I'd honestly just rather send Adell/Moniak out there for the full year and finally answer whether either/both of them can hack it.  

Duvall can also platoon with Schanuel at 1B at times, and Adell can pick up DH ABs too. 

There’s also still a chance Ward doesn’t come back and hit. 

It’s one of those situations where having more guys than necessary at the onset is probably okay because it will resolve itself one way or another by June.

I would’ve liked to have aimed higher, but at this point Duvall is as strong an option as any for a right-handed hitting platoon OF/1B with some pop that would come cheap. On board with this.

Edited by totdprods

13 minutes ago, totdprods said:

Duvall can also platoon with Schanuel at 1B at times, and Adell can pick up DH ABs too. 

There’s also still a chance Ward doesn’t come back and hit. 

It’s one of those situations where having more guys than necessary at the onset is probably okay because it will resolve itself one way or another by June.

I would’ve liked to have aimed higher, but at this point Duvall is as strong an option as any for a right-handed hitting platoon OF/1B with some pop that would come cheap. On board with this.

Fine, but I'd still prefer Adell and Moniak to get the vast majority of ABs, rather than a 35+-year-old guy who won't play any role in the future of the Angels.

EDIT: Also, he hasn't played 1B since 2018 and not with any regularity since 2014.

Edited by jsnpritchett

17 minutes ago, jsnpritchett said:

Fine, but I'd still prefer Adell and Moniak to get the vast majority of ABs, rather than a 35+-year-old guy who won't play any role in the future of the Angels.

EDIT: Also, he hasn't played 1B since 2018 and not with any regularity since 2014.

I don’t think we always realize just how many guys are unsigned. I know I don’t. 

Without checking, Bellinger, JDM, Soler, Turner, Duvall, Taylor, Hoskins, Mous, Snell, Montgomery, Hader, Stroman, Imanaga, Stephenson, Brasier, Ryu, Paxton

There’s a ton more. Nobody has really done anything yet besides the Dodgers. So I don’t think we have any idea what the Angels are trying to do. 

8 hours ago, ThisismineScios said:

I don’t think we always realize just how many guys are unsigned. I know I don’t. 

Without checking, Bellinger, JDM, Soler, Turner, Duvall, Taylor, Hoskins, Mous, Snell, Montgomery, Hader, Stroman, Imanaga, Stephenson, Brasier, Ryu, Paxton

There’s a ton more. Nobody has really done anything yet besides the Dodgers. So I don’t think we have any idea what the Angels are trying to do. 

Arizona, Yankees, Atlanta, St Louis, KC, have done a lot. You are right lot of players still on FA market. Ton of RP and starters that could help even on short deals. 

27 minutes ago, EdmontonAngelsFan said:

Nobody has a clue.

I'm thinking we'll hear a decision today. The deadline is Thurs at 5pm Eastern. Not sure if that deadline means that a final deal has to be signed by then (meaning with medicals cleared, etc.), but if it does, then you'd think he'd need to decide today or tomorrow at the latest in order for all that to get done in time. 

6 minutes ago, jsnpritchett said:

I'm thinking we'll hear a decision today. The deadline is Thurs at 5pm Eastern. Not sure if that deadline means that a final deal has to be signed by then (meaning with medicals cleared, etc.), but if it does, then you'd think he'd need to decide today or tomorrow at the latest in order for all that to get done in time. 

Yes what I read EVERYTHING has to be done by the deadline. I don't see him ending today not signed.