• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

The Official Los Angeles Angels 2023-2024 Hot Stove Offseason Thread

Chuck

2 minutes ago, Erstad Grit said:

Random vent since nothing is happening.

I really wished we signed Sonny Gray. Outside of a trade with Brewers which I've not read any actual rumors for, it appears we're either going to massively overpay for Snell or go cheap for someone like Stroman.

Gray was the guy.

With so many teams still wanting starters Stroman could be an overpay.

15 minutes ago, Inside Pitch said:

I don't believe people that have watched him play believe he's anything but a spent shell at this point. 

He was massively hyped coming out of college, possibly because as you pointed out he came out of a school famous for producing college/pro catchers -- Varitek, Matt Weiters, Kevin Parada a couple years ago.  But he's always had holes and his defense was always kind of hyped.

The Giants promoted him pretty quickly at every level, some talent evaluators argued felt this masked his deficiencies because the leagues rarely got to see him more than once or twice in a season.

I think they may have hurt him in the same way the Angels did Adell, but the fact that his defensive game has been so bad makes him sort of useless.

I don't disagree with anything you said about him in this post or the other one in which you comped him to Thaiss--but I do still think that there are enough people in baseball who still like to give former hyped guys like Bart another chance. 

3 minutes ago, jsnpritchett said:

I don't disagree with anything you said about him in this post or the other one in which you comped him to Thaiss--but I do still think that there are enough people in baseball who still like to give former hyped guys like Bart another chance. 

I wouldn't be surprised, I just don't think they could really get much anymore.

There are always teams that think they can unlock a guy, and like I said, I think he suffered a bit from being promoted prematurely through the minors.  But watching him play -- he just doesn't look like a MLB catcher at this point, not when you consider his focus has been entirely behind the plate.

34 minutes ago, Angels 1961 said:

Bellinger 7 years for 180 with opt out after year 2.    Make the splash Arte.                                                                                                                       

Sounds like it's Blue Jays for Bellinger. They are currently the front runner.

So now that pickings are slim out of who is left only in FA what is your top 3 position wants and say top 3 pitching wants and 2 stay away from guys I'll go first 

Mitch Garver can catch and play first DH 

Aldaberto Mondasi still young can maybe come back and build value if he ever stays healthy that is 

Isaha Kiner Falefa i'm sure I spelt this wrong but can play lots of spots and the Angels always have spots to fill 

Bonus pick  Jorge Solar 

Frankie Montas 

Brandon Woodruff 

Jordan Hicks 

Stay away from 

Cody Bellinger feel like we would get the last dodger belly not the cubs version 

Josh Hader only because of cost for a closer he is going to get paid 

On 12/11/2023 at 1:07 PM, Inside Pitch said:

Dude has an almost Pujolsian way of hitting a ball 239 MPH right at the SS or 3B.  He absolutely tears into balls but seems to find a fielders glove a lot.

Ahhh, but you forget is the Anaheim plate missalignment that sunk Wells hitting, would actually help Chapman by throwing off those hard hit balls by X° which would make them out of a fielders reach.

The One Where Estelle Dies Episode 15 GIF by Friends

14 minutes ago, Chitown27Fan said:

So now that pickings are slim out of who is left only in FA what is your top 3 position wants and say top 3 pitching wants and 2 stay away from guys I'll go first 

1. Soler

2. Hoskins

3. Pederson

1. Snell

2. Montgomery

3. Stroman

(assuming Yamamoto isn’t an option)

Stay Away:

1. Bellinger

2. Hader

3 minutes ago, Angels 1961 said:

1. Mitch Garver                                                                                                                                                                                       2. Tim Anderson  (Washington can turn him around)                                                                                                                       3. Bellinger (he is healthy cut down on K's need protection for Trout want to compete need to gamble)                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                  1 Clevenger                                                                                                                                                                                           2. Yariel Rodriguez                                                                                                                                                                               3. Matsui                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                               Stay away from                                                                                                                                                                                    Stroman                                                                                                                                                                                                Snell

'61 I know you're somehow reading the forum via a 1970s IBM Selectric III typewriter.  You may want to check your indent setting.

ibm3.jpg

3 minutes ago, Lazorko Saves said:

'61 I'm okay with your list except for Garver.  Isn't it gonna take $10m plus for Garver, and multiple years?  Why would we want to block or backup O'Hoppe at this point?  Or are you putting Garver in a platoon at 1B with Schanuel?

Garver might be a primary DH, occasional C/1B at this point in his career.

17 minutes ago, Lazorko Saves said:

'61 I'm okay with your list except for Garver.  Isn't it gonna take $10m plus for Garver, and multiple years?  Why would we want to block or backup O'Hoppe at this point?  Or are you putting Garver in a platoon at 1B with Schanuel?

Garver can catch twice a week DH and play 1B. He would backup O'Hoppe. Garver play 5 times a week good middle order bat. Trout needs some protection.

2 minutes ago, Chuck said:

I do think Garver would be a solid solution as a part time 1B/C and DH, but more is definitely required.

Still think a lefthanded bat with pop is really needed in the middle of the lineup.

So who else do you want Chuck of what there is out there what is the best you think we could do ? I mean I want Yamamoto my heart said but my brain kicks in and says pipe dream I'm sure he dont want to be on the team that Sho just left and be compaired to him all the time I'm guess one of the New York teams get him. 

I like the idea of going after Garver or Hoskins much more than Soler or Pederson or Teoscar at this point. Don't think either will cost much. Garver gives the Halos some catching depth that is sorely needed without really taking away any development time from Thaiss or playing time from O'Hoppe, and frees up the need of having a 3rd-string catcher at AAA that either is worth a 40-man or is at risk at being lost to waivers when everyone is healthy. That effed the Angels some last year, but not as bad as it could have been if Wallach and Thaiss had sucked. Halos were lucky. 

Hoskins and Garver could get regular time at DH and platoon with Schanuel at 1B. I don't expect it, but Schanuel still could struggle or could benefit from a bit of AAA seasoning if the MLB team's healthy and clicking and doesn't see any subtractions. Wouldn't hurt to get some OF reps for Schanuel either, would be good for him while he's still able. 

I'll add that Harrison Bader would be an intriguing outfield add. Excellent defense and baserunning. Bat has been real mixed, health has been a constant issue, but he'd give the Halos some valuable defense-plus insurance across all positions and a natural Moniak platoon partner if Adell or Ward struggle. Also frees those guys up for trade talks.

If I could snap my fingers right now...

• Hoskins or Garver, 2/$30m
  • Stroman 3/$66m
  • Hicks 3/$30m
  • Maton 2/$18m
  • Bader 1/$6m

About $60m added, no prospects or players lost.  Maybe one of those guys cost a few mil more, if so, there's still room in budget for that. It's not a great team. Not a bad team. 
Feels very similar to last winter's distribution of money.

• Rotation: Sandoval, Stroman, Detmers, Canning, Anderson (Silseth, Daniel, Bachman, Kochanowicz next in line)
  • Bullpen: Hicks, Estevez, Maton, Garcia, Cimber, Kolarek, Soriano, Suarez (Joyce, Herget, Wantz, Caceres, Mederos next in line)
  • Starting 9: O'Hoppe C, Schanuel 1B, Drury 2B, Neto SS, Rendon 3B, Ward LF, Trout CF, Moniak RF, Garver/Hoskins DH
  • Bench: Thaiss C, Rengifo UT IF, Adell OF, Bader OF 

Payroll isn't clogged too badly, all of the vets under contract except Trout and Rendon are fairly moveable in a trade, no prospects or players lost in a trade, plenty of versatility to absorb injuries again, no playing time really blocked except a little bit in pen and 1B, but those aren't too difficult to clear if needed.

Pen is immensely deepened, IMO, and it should be a pretty good defensive unit. Offense is extremely dependent on guys like Trout, Rendon, Drury, Garver/Hoskins driving in runs and guys like Ward and Rengifo getting OBP, and the rotation REALLY needs to step up. 

Edited by totdprods