• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

The Official Los Angeles Angels 2023-2024 Hot Stove Offseason Thread

Chuck

35 minutes ago, Blarg said:

They can't trade Anderson after last season's performance, so you might as well clear that from your head. 

Of course he can be traded.  If the Angels wanted to reduce the number of left handed starters they have, it would be a swap of bad contracts where the Angels get something different.

12 minutes ago, Dtwncbad said:

Of course he can be traded.  If the Angels wanted to reduce the number of left handed starters they have, it would be a swap of bad contracts where the Angels get something different.

That does nothing to improve the team or reduce payroll, that's why I say he can't be traded. It's a lose/lose. So you might as well see if he can rebound under new coaching. 

Leave it to ABC7 news to show the most detail regarding the Angels. They're the onyl people that have openly said the Angels feel confident in retaining him...... No writer really knows at this point. HA.

3 minutes ago, angelsnationtalk said:

Leave it to ABC7 news to show the most detail regarding the Angels. They're the onyl people that have openly said the Angels feel confident in retaining him...... No writer really knows at this point. HA.

Pretty sure they’re just piggybacking off what ESPN said.

Some ESPN article reported that yesterday.

4 minutes ago, Blarg said:

That does nothing to improve the team or reduce payroll, that's why I say he can't be traded. It's a lose/lose. So you might as well see if he can rebound under new coaching. 

The premise (from someone else) was an objective to not have as many left handed starters.  If they decided that would improve the team, then that’s something you can argue with them.

17 minutes ago, angelsnationtalk said:

It would be idiotic at this point to invest $600 million on Ohtani after not even recovering from elbow surgery and won't pitch until 2025. It would be idiotic to make that offer even if he hadn't required a second Tommy John surgery. These are athletes not some piece of artwork you store in a climate controlled environment. 

Yesterday Trevor Lawrence had his own lineman step on his ankle, taking him out of the game and possibly the season. Anything can happen to an athlete on the field so these 10 year contracts are stupid, the investment drawing nearly 1/4 of payroll on one player is stupid.

I hope Minasian doesn't end up as the donkey that writes up one of these contracts. 

I agree with your statment Blarg but we are not in the buisness of selling tickets and ad's, If it wasnt for Ohtani No one outside of Orange county would watch the Angels or buy anything Angels he made the Angels relavent over the last few injury riddled years even Angel fans on here talk about how they only pay attention because of him. He moves the neddle so In Artes eyes he may be worth 600 mil and he is a place that if it dont work he sells the team makes billions and walks away.

35 minutes ago, Chitown27Fan said:

My feelings is that if any team has to wait for Ohtani to sign before they can fill their glaring needs they probably should not be trying to sign him in the first place becasue you are looking at the next 10-12 years of looking for ways to cobble a team together around a huge chunk of your payroll. So its either go big and blow your wallet and shop at TRADER JOES  now and the next 10 years tax be damed or go back to your office and shop with the middle class at WALMART. 

I've always found Trader Joe's to be pretty inexpensive and great deals on their stuff.  I shop there like twice a week.  Now Whole Foods -- that's an over priced store.  

1 minute ago, Chitown27Fan said:

I agree with your statment Blarg but we are not in the buisness of selling tickets and ad's, If it wasnt for Ohtani No one outside of Orange county would watch the Angels or buy anything Angels he made the Angels relavent over the last few injury riddled years even Angel fans on here talk about how they only pay attention because of him. He moves the neddle so In Artes eyes he may be worth 600 mil and he is a place that if it dont work he sells the team makes billions and walks away.

Winning teams sell tickets. There have been lots of empty seats at Anaheim over the last 5 years even with Trout and Ohtani on the roster and that is because of the losing. I'd rather the Angels have the resources to win than banners for MVPs and 4th place finishes in the division. 

1 hour ago, Blarg said:

They can't trade Anderson after last season's performance, so you might as well clear that from your head. 

i dunno. i'm sure pittsburgh has a 26 year old in single A they'd be willing to unload.

1 hour ago, Angel Oracle said:

Only worry is then having too many lefties in the rotation.   Would then have to consider trading Anderson, especially if going with a 5 man rotation.

put me on record as someone who doesn't mind having too many good pitchers on our staff. i couldn't care less if they're all L or R. 

1 minute ago, Tank said:

put me on record as someone who doesn't mind having too many good pitchers on our staff. i couldn't care less if they're all L or R. 

And in a related subject, put me on record as firmly saying there is no such thing as a batting lineup being “too right handed.”  Right handed major league hitters can hit right handed pitching, otherwise they wouldn’t be in the majors.  If they are good hitters, there is no such thing as a lineup being “too right handed.”

There are tons of examples of everyday left handed hitters that are particularly vulnerable to left handed pitching, but they get by because they mash right handed pitching.  If you have too many of these guys a good lefty can dominate that team that day.

You really can’t find everyday right handed hitters that are highly vulnerable to right handed pitching.  If they are right handed and are highly vulnerable to right handed pitching they probably are not big leaguers at all.

1 hour ago, Blarg said:

Not even throwing in half the salary?   Frees up $6.5m from AAV.

Someone out there could use him for $6.5m per season through 2025?  He does eat up innings (162 innings average since 2021 with 4.10 ERA).

Edited by Angel Oracle

48 minutes ago, Angels in 2030 said:

I've always found Trader Joe's to be pretty inexpensive and great deals on their stuff.  I shop there like twice a week.  Now Whole Foods -- that's an over priced store.  

TJ’s salads, mac&cheese pizza dinners, and Carolina Gold bbq sauce are all really good.

Edited by Angel Oracle

6 minutes ago, Angel Oracle said:

Someone out there could use him for $6.5m per season through 2025?  He does eat up innings (162 innings average since 2021 with 4.10 ERA).

Would be foolish to sell him. The coaching screwed him up last year. Would bet he'll be improved this season. 

14 minutes ago, Angel Oracle said:

His contract is reasonable enough and his track record decent enough that there is a solid chance he pitches well enough next year to where you might not have to eat it.

He wasn’t great but we’re still in need of pitching, even if it’s bulk innings, and saving even half the money doesn’t really tilt the needle much. 

I’d rather they roll the dice with him and hope he bounces back well enough next year to be either useful or be tradable to the point where we don’t need to eat money. 

I’ll again cite Kyle Gibson and his Rangers contract and subsequent seasons as a decent comp.