• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

The Trout Era Angels in One Graph

Angelsjunky

image.png

I know, more kvetching. But is there a more essentializing chart than this one? The MVP or runner-up in 10 out of 12 seasons, including 5 actual MVPs. In only three of those did they finish within 5 games of first place (green), and in only one did they reach the postseason.

Nothing we don't all know, but Shohei's MVP just reminded me of the "star and scrubs" approach of the last dozen years and how it just hasn't amounted to much, especially over the last eight years. It is one reason why I won't be all that sad to see Shohei go. It was fun, but time to turn the page and take another approach. 

2 minutes ago, Angelsjunky said:

image.png

I know, more kvetching. But is there a more essentializing chart than this one? The MVP or runner-up in 10 out of 12 seasons, including 5 actual MVPs. In only three of those did they finish within 5 games of first place (green), and in only one did they reach the postseason.

Nothing we don't all know, but Shohei's MVP just reminded me of the "star and scrubs" approach of the last dozen years and how it just hasn't amounted to much, especially over the last eight years. It is one reason why I won't be all that sad to see Shohei go. It was fun, but time to turn the page and take another approach. 

I agree but is it also time for Trout trade? I say this only if Trout wants to move to a contender.

1 hour ago, Angelsjunky said:

image.png

Trout won MVP in 2021 and 2023?

On 11/17/2023 at 8:01 PM, Angelsjunky said:

No, but an Angel did. The chart depicts the Angels during the Trout Era, not Trout only.

This was obvious to anyone who wasn't rushing to the keyboard to be the first obnoxious, hairsplitting smartass with no actual contribution to make to the thread

In Trout's mighty grasp,

Playoff dreams dance and recede,

Repeat, year by year.

Mike Trout, so sublime

Angels' star, yet no playoffs

Diamond dreams deferred

Trout's bat, Ohtani's pitch,

Angels battle, but fall short,

No postseason joy.

Trout's bat hits a high,

Ohtani's speed makes fans sigh,

Playoffs pass them by.

Angels play with heart,

Trout and Ohtani excel,

Postseason goodbye.

It's really sad that with Trout and Ohtani in their prime the team couldn't even finish above .500 and be in legitimate wild card contention. And with two other big contract players (Pujols and Rendon) on the roster at different times over that span. Obviously those other two compounded the problem in multiple ways. 

Insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results. Arte must be too tone deaf and stubborn to see this model has been an abject failure. 

It would be depressing to see both Trout and Ohtani gone at the same time. But maybe a radical rebuild is necessary. 

It might be painful at first. But really, will it be worse than the last couple of years? Failing to come close to expectations is pure frustration. A young team being assembled at least comes with longer term hope. And perhaps the chance to see young talent mature together into the next team core. 

Trading Trout would have to bring back multiple high end prospects however. And not something to rush into. And Washington's vision of the team is also a factor. Is he on board for a big rebuild or more focussed on patching together a lineup that can possibly over achieve and get into wild card contention? 

An interesting off season just getting started. 

1 hour ago, jsnpritchett said:

In Trout's mighty grasp,

Playoff dreams dance and recede,

Repeat, year by year.

Mike Trout, so sublime

Angels' star, yet no playoffs

Diamond dreams deferred

Trout's bat, Ohtani's pitch,

Angels battle, but fall short,

No postseason joy.

Trout's bat hits a high,

Ohtani's speed makes fans sigh,

Playoffs pass them by.

Angels play with heart,

Trout and Ohtani excel,

Postseason goodbye.

Wrong thread.

32 minutes ago, mmc said:

Agree on not really caring to see Ohtani back next year, or Trout for that matter.  Moving on from both is perfectly fine with me and has been for a few years now.  Would much prefer a full on fire sale rebuild than the way Arte has forced the team to operate for the last 10 years

What, exactly, would a fire sale look like?

2 hours ago, mmc said:

Selling off everyone on the roster with value (which should’ve started with Ohtani last offseason).  Only guys you keep are O’Hoppe, Neto, Detmers, and Schanuel

Ok, what players are you selling off? You have to form a 25 man roster so details are important.  

Their one chance at a significant fire-sale was this year in July, and they understandably--but unfortunately, imo--choose to go for it, and failed in spectacular fashion.

At this point, I think the best approach would be to just sort of accept a longer term rebuilding. Keep the young core, avoid big free agent contracts, build up the farm. If the Angels were really disciplined and made a savvy move or two, they could be back in contention in a few years.

But of course we all know Arte won't accept that, so we'll see more of the same this year and beyond, and the vicious cycle will continue indefinitely. The lone silver lining is, as I said in another thread, the Texas Rangers (or the Angels in 2002). Occasionally the stars align just right. 

So yes, I'm saying there's a chance.