• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Angels Managerial Search Thread

BTH

8 hours ago, disarcina said:

Torri Hunter likely too smart to take this job.   Besides, Arte really should have brought him back after that great final season he had with the Halos.  Torri was a huge fan favorite and wanted to come back to the Angels.  Arte made public statements indicating a return was quite possible - that  quickly turned from that to the 'we don't have the money to keep him' front office mantra.  Angels fans were willing to begrudging accept that reality.  Can't keep Torri, fan favorite, a guy. who just had a great season in the field and at the plate - particularly the second half --oh well.

And then Arte signed Josh Hamilton to a long term contract for way too much money.  A guy with substance abuse issue to a long term contract over Torri Hunter -   In a history full of terrible free agent contract signings, Josh Hamilton's contract may be the all time worst -- and WE COULD HAVE BROUGHT BACK TORRI !!!  (Gary Matthews Jr. , Kevin Appier, Vernon Wells, Mo Vaughn (although he did put up decent stats one season), some folks would include Albert Pujols (despite his terrible start with the Angels which got all the 'first impression' attention - Albert actually put up decent numbers during his Halos time - not Cardinals years numbers but seriously - did any one expect that?).

I always liked Arte - he seems above his head now fighting the corporate and major partnership owners flush with cash -  but really felt he did Torri Hunter wrong in that whole situation. I think that may have been the start of Arte losing the support of the fans to low level it is now.  So why would Torri want to come here to work under Arte's ownership/ direction?

I would think this is water under the bridge for Hunter.  He wanted to stay longer and that didn’t pan out.

If Hunter actually wants to manage, I really really doubt him not getting re-signed here is going to get in the way.

It is probably more likely he would view managing this team as making up for a previously missed opportunity to be here.

3 minutes ago, Fullmer17 said:

Honestly, what the hell is going on? The small amount of rumors or any legit info makes it seem like Arte is in complete control of this “process.” Have we even conducted interviews? This is the weirdest coaching search cycle they’ve had. 

The team is constantly stealth in every move they make.  This shouldn’t be looked at as a bad thing but rather a boring thing.

2 hours ago, Fullmer17 said:

Honestly, what the hell is going on? The small amount of rumors or any legit info makes it seem like Arte is in complete control of this “process.” Have we even conducted interviews? This is the weirdest coaching search cycle they’ve had. 

Just keep in mind that “rumors” are reliably going to be in the camp of the “Arte is too controlling” or “Arte is meddling” narrative.

That’s not to say he hasn’t earned that narrative.  I am just saying in the absence of any real reliable information, you should expect everything speculated to be along those lines.

I can only hope that what is being reported is, indeed, genuine. As, if so, the light may have indeed "gone on" (albeit very oddly) for Arte while giving hope to many fans as well...

https://www.si.com/mlb/angels/news/angels-owner-keeping-managerial-decision-and-front-office-future-close-to-the-vest-according-to-reporter-pw2001

After firing their manager Phil Nevin as the Angels' season collapsed, Arte Moreno is reportedly interested in hiring a President of Baseball Operations. Perry Minasian is the Angels' general manager. It is unclear what the addition of a PBO would do to Minasian's responsibilities.

According to FanSided's Robert Murray, Moreno is leaving much room for speculation as the Angels front office could evolve in the offseason.

There [were] reports out from The Athletic that the Angels were looking for a President of Baseball Operations…” “All I’ve gotten back is ‘ask Arte.’ And it’s people that you think would know, and they don’t know.”

(Via Robert Murray, The Baseball Insiders

6 minutes ago, Blarg said:

This is inaccurate. Nevin was not fired, he just wasn't given a contract extension after the season ended. 

Yeah well, obviously Mr. Warren got that wrong. But, he attributes Arte's supposed interest in a president of baseball operations to what The Athletic is reporting...

14 hours ago, Dtwncbad said:

I would think this is water under the bridge for Hunter.  He wanted to stay longer and that didn’t pan out.

If Hunter actually wants to manage, I really really doubt him not getting re-signed here is going to get in the way.

It is probably more likely he would view managing this team as making up for a previously missed opportunity to be here.

You're probably correct about this.  I'm just still upset that good guy  Torri Hunter was treated that way.

I think good guy Torii was treated like a 37 year old free agent. He fell victim to the old adage it’s better to give up on a player a year early than a year late, something the Angels have been horrible with in free agency. They earmarked their free agent money for pitching and when that fell through they signed Hamilton. Hunter was one of the first free agents signed that off season so it wasn’t like they could pivot back to him.  

Free agency starts five days after the series ends and the Angels as usual are dependent on whatever whims the inscrutable Arte is governed by at any given moment. Hardly an attractive environment for managers or players. 

https://www.si.com/mlb/angels/news/angels-owner-keeping-managerial-decision-and-front-office-future-close-to-the-vest-according-to-reporter-pw2001

1 hour ago, Dtwncbad said:

We have no documented new news about what the Angels are doing today.

What does this tell us?

Obviously Arte is acting in secrecy to disguise his meddling.

It tells me Halos do not know what direction to take. No need to rush for manager until after Ohtani decides what he is doing. Once he signs with Dodgers and Trout will ask for a trade a retooling around young players Angels have will begin. Drury, Carlos E will be traded as will Tyler Anderson. Saving money on roster will be big priority as Arte will once again put Angel's up for sale. The new face of Angel's will be photo of all the young players. Rendon will be on IL to start the season. Angel's will be a fun team to weatch as young players grow and in 2026 will have a good chance at making playoffs. Swordsman will all his support to new manager. 

1 hour ago, Angels 1961 said:

It tells me Halos do not know what direction to take.

it tells me they aren't ready to announce anything.

you and i have the same amount of knowledge of what they've been doing behind closed doors. maybe they've reached some decisions and are just waiting, or maybe they're still figuring out what's next, or maybe they're waiting on people to give them an answer. there's a whole lot of possibilities, eeyore.

I wouldn't be surprised to see Arte try something outside the box. Hiring a POBO helps because Minasian is no longer a lame duck--the POBO would likely have input on the managerial hire. 

Only great managers truly make a difference. I would be fine with Hunter or Erstad. They'd at least have the players respect. I am more interested in who is leading the pitching staff. I think that is the most impactful coaching position because it involves sequencing, location strategy, and mentality. Hitting coaches and managers are vastly overrated--offensive doesn't require as much strategy as pitching. Strom and Haren have taken the DBacks staff and really elevated them. Although I will say a great hitting coach like Ecker or Cintron can really raise the floor. 

In order of hires this offseason, I care most about

POBO
Pitching Coach
Manager
Hitting Coach
3B Coach

56 minutes ago, Tank said:

it tells me they aren't ready to announce anything.

you and i have the same amount of knowledge of what they've been doing behind closed doors. maybe they've reached some decisions and are just waiting, or maybe they're still figuring out what's next, or maybe they're waiting on people to give them an answer. there's a whole lot of possibilities, eeyore.

First and last sentences ring more true than you know

6 minutes ago, Taylor said:

This is the beginning of the point every year when fans ignore the Angels' decade track record of failure and insist that Arte and co. are suddenly competent at their jobs.

Who is insisting that Arte and co are competent at their jobs?