• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Quick and dirty 2024 lineup assessment

Angelsjunky

7 minutes ago, ScottT said:

Mickey Moniak is not gonna hit .290 and slug .500 if he has the worst walk rate and the six worst strikeout rate in MLB.

Yeah, I'm just taking this year as a nice flash in the pan, best possible case scenario for Moniak.

He has a 2.8% BB rate and around a .400 BABIP.  I'm thinking more like a .240/.270/.440 line is more realistic.

18 minutes ago, Reveille1984 said:

Yeah, I'm just taking this year as a nice flash in the pan, best possible case scenario for Moniak.

He has a 2.8% BB rate and around a .400 BABIP.  I'm thinking more like a .240/.270/.440 line is more realistic.

Which is worth something.  With good defense.  A cheap salary.  Maybe he and Adell are part timers next year.  They really need Ward to come back and play well.  Oh, that Trout guy, too.

4 hours ago, Angelsjunky said:

Ward: .290/.380/.500, 28 HR, 140 G

Trout: .285/.400/.570, 35 HR, 130 G

Moniak: .290/.320/.500, 25 HR, 120 G

Adell: .250/.300/.470, 25 HR, 120 G

Walsh: .270/.330/.500, 28 HR, 130 G

this would end up being the most impressive power displayed by a five man outfield in the history of the game.

10 hours ago, Jeff Fletcher said:

If the bold numbers happen, the Angels will be good. Doesn't even matter what the other numbers are.

That being said, good luck with that.

Over the last 3 years, only 17 teams had even 7 different guys play 120+ games. Ten of them made the playoffs.

9 hours ago, AngelStew43 said:

The only player on this list even close to his number of games played is Drury, & he’s at 113 with 12 games left.  So, 125.  This group has shown that they are exceptionally brittle, so I wouldn’t count on anything as far as games played.

7 hours ago, Tank said:

this would end up being the most impressive power displayed by a five man outfield in the history of the game.

As I said in the post, those numbers are not predictions of what will actually happen, but what those players are capable of if healthy.  My point was to illustrate the talent of the lineup, not to predict what will actually happen. Obviously many/most of those games played won't be reached, and certainly not from the five outfielders, but looking at each player individually, that's what I see their 2024 potential being.

If the bold numbers happen, the Angels will be good. Doesn't even matter what the other numbers are.

That being said, good luck with that.

Sadly enough that was the first thing that popped into my head. And not with just the usual suspects.

I'd also caution anyone (from AJs post here) to expect anything from Ward and and Walsh. And that's not me hating on either. But Ward is a giant question mark until we see otherwise, and Walsh is an even bigger one.

Let's hope for good luck for a change.

6 hours ago, REDneck said:

A singles hitter with a broke ass leg...that's what the team needs more of.

To be fair, Urshela was brought in as insurance for Rendon.

And a broken leg guy who hits singles is.... pretty much mission accomplished.

Credit Minasian for recognizing Urshela could be that guy.

It's almost uncanny.

16 hours ago, Angelsjunky said:

"Quick and dirty" because I'm not thinking too deeply into this, just spouting what comes to mind.

Bold as default starter. Plain text as back-up/bench.

Catcher: Logan O'HOPPE, Max Stassi, Matt Thaiss

I'm happy with this group. O'Hoppe will continue to improve - hopefully the plate discipline comes to pair with the power...we could have an .850 OPS catcher. Thaiss was solid with the bat in the first half, then fell apart. Not sure what happened. Stassi is the wildcard - if he can come back like he played in 2020-21, he'll be a nice weak-side platoon for O'Hoppe. If not, well, it sure would be nice to have Quero still in the minors.

First Base: Nolan SCHANUEL, Jared Walsh

What a weird triple-slash: .294/.412/.353. Love the BA and OBP - I think those are sustainable, and enough to earn him a starting job. I imagine the power will come, at least to .400-.450. Could be a borderline stud and just what the team needs, as far as OBP. Walsh's micro-comeback is intriguing and I don't see why it can't be sustainable.

Second Base: Brandon DRURY, Luis Rengifo

Drury has been a pleasant surprise - not great, but solid. I suppose he's the starting second baseman next year, with Rengifo as super UT.

Shortstop: Zack NETO, Luis Rengifo, David Fletcher

It has been a rough return to action, but not surprising. Neto will just continue to improve. He probably won't break out next year, but should at least be solid.

Third Base: Anthony RENDON, Luis Rengifo

Rendon is another important player for next year, who could really be a positive if he has a surprisingly healthy year. But the Angels have to assume he isn't playing much and adjust accordingly. We'll probably be seeing a lot of Rengifo at 3B, who will get a full season's worth as a super UT guy at 2B/SS/3B.

Outfield: Mike TROUT, Taylor WARD, Mickey MONIAK, Jo Adell, Jared Walsh

It really isn't that bad, especially if Walsh is back. Funny how that Marsh-Trout-Adell outfield has (possibly) turned (back) into Ward-Trout-Walsh. Oh well. As for Moniak, while he crashed big time, he was actually pretty good over his last two weeks before getting hurt: .311/.326/.489 in his last 12 games. I could see him settling in as a .280/.310/.480 guy...not sexy, but not the worst player to have around. Why do I still have hope for Adell? I just can't shake it. 

DH: Platoon. Assuming Ohtani isn't back, we're going to see DH as a "half-rest" stop for a bunch of guys, and to get others into the lineup. I could see half a dozen guys getting double-digit starts at DH.

So what do the Angels need? They could use a solid minor league veteran catcher, depending upon Stassi's outlook. They could also use another bat, although I'm not sure where he would fit. One option would be trade one or more of Moniak, Adell and Walsh for a new outfielder/DH, but with Trout and Ward's injury history and Adams not (yet) a major leaguer, they'll probably want to hold onto all five. They could probably also use a guy who can play a decent 3B, as we don't really want 100+ games from Rengifo at the hot corner. I don't think Paris will figure into the infield until the second half, and maybe not until 2025.

In other words, the success of the offense--once again--rides on the health of Trout and Rendon and, to a lesser extent, guys like O'Hoppe, Neto, and Ward. Schanuel's presence will improve the lineup and Walsh could be a surprise difference-maker. But the bottom line is that they really need at least 120 games from Trout. Something (anything!) from Rendon would be nice, but more of a plus at this point.

Rendon lol

This lineup is the least of our concerns honestly.  It’s not that bad if everyone is healthy (excluding Rendon of course)

Pitching is what’s a potential horror movie.  Starters and Pen.  

so many flashes of excellence followed by disasters from top to bottom.  Estevez is a perfect example

has anyone been consistently good in the bunch?