• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Andrew Velazquez claimed off waivers by the Braves

mmc

34 minutes ago, Swordsman78 said:

Another tool out of the managers tool box for the rest of the year, but may hopefully contribute to getting under the luxury tax thresh hold.

Velazquez is below league average defender with a 48 OPS+ bat. 100 is league average. As far as tools go he is like trying to rebuild an engine with only a pair of vise grips. 

9 minutes ago, Blarg said:

Velazquez is below league average defender with a 48 OPS+ bat. 100 is league average. As far as tools go he is like trying to rebuild an engine with only a pair of vise grips. 

I agree. Good move but further evidence that the FO isn't concerned about  wins or losses for the remainder of the season 

15 minutes ago, Swordsman78 said:

I agree. Good move but further evidence that the FO isn't concerned about  wins or losses for the remainder of the season 

Velazquez does not provide a greater opportunity to create wins over Kyren Paris. Velazquez is a negative WAR player which means every time he enters the game the leneup is devalued. 

This is why so many think you haven't a clue how teams win games. 

10 minutes ago, Blarg said:

Velazquez does not provide a greater opportunity to create wins over Kyren Paris. Velazquez is a negative WAR player which means every time he enters the game the leneup is devalued. 

This is why so many think you haven't a clue how teams win games. 

Maybe so, but if you pile this move onto the 5-6 other potential starters that were released, without any corresponding MLB proven adds, it is apparant that the FO is waving the white flag on the remaining games.

BTW I agree with this move, and the others, and would also not have a problem with releasing Rendon, or making him play out the rest of his contract in AA ball.

Do you think they have a shot at the playoffs, still?

Of course not, so it's a white flag, and their focus is more player development than anything else. You have the Salt Lake Bees out there and guys that should have been on the Bees instead of getting yanked out the minors early.

So what if they aren't going to win a bunch of simply meaningless games. At least they might improve their draft pick instead of the asinine winning streak in September to end up in 3rd place in the division and picking 18th. Nothing that happens in the last month is going to carry over to next season. Nothing. 

1 hour ago, jsnpritchett said:

Braves put him at AAA. He can't qualify for their playoff roster, so I'm guessing they're just stashing him as depth in case something catastrophic happens in the next few weeks and they need a warm body to finish out the regular season. 

What makes you say that just curious how that works 

26 minutes ago, Blarg said:

Do you think they have a shot at the playoffs, still?

Of course not, so it's a white flag, and their focus is more player development than anything else. You have the Salt Lake Bees out there and guys that should have been on the Bees instead of getting yanked out the minors early.

So what if they aren't going to win a bunch of simply meaningless games. At least they might improve their draft pick instead of the asinine winning streak in September to end up in 3rd place in the division and picking 18th. Nothing that happens in the last month is going to carry over to next season. Nothing. 

Again,  I am perfectly fine with the moves and also agree with you about the remaining games not being relevant.  

Just don't agree with guys blaming Nevin for a prolonged losing streak in Sept 

Edited by Swordsman78

3 hours ago, Ron Mexico said:

What makes you say that just curious how that works 

What makes me say what?  Anyone brought into an organization after September 1 isn't eligible for a playoff roster.  That's the rule.  They sent him to their AAA team.  So the only way he'd be brought up is if they have a rash of injuries or just want to give someone a break the last week of the season or something.

Edited by jsnpritchett

1 hour ago, Ron Mexico said:

I thought he was just sent down and not put on Waivers 🤔

They did both obviously. 

They didn’t need to put him on waivers since he had options, but I guess they figured they were going to need 40-man spots for when all these guys come off the 60-day so May as well see if anyone wants him. 

They were pretty fed up with him after the stolen base attempt on Saturday. 

3 minutes ago, Swordsman78 said:

Again,  I am perfectly fine with the moves and also agree with you about the remaining games  it being relevant.  

I bet many have no specific ax to grind with Nevin when there are lots of other more obvious things to look at that made 2023 a lousy year.  But at the same time, Nevin has done nothing to establish himself as the “answer” to who is the best choice to manage the team going forward.

Don’t worry.  He won’t keep or lose the job based on wins and losses in September.

But he hasn’t earned the 2024 job either.  The team is going to be wide open to an upgrade, as they should be.

29 minutes ago, Swordsman78 said:

Edited by Swordsman78

This thread has nothing to do about Nevin. You complain about hijacking threads and yet here you are talking about Nevin.

4 minutes ago, Blarg said:

This thread has nothing to do about Nevin. You complain about hijacking threads and yet here you are talking about Nevin.

You are obviously feigning ignorance to the "game within the game" that goes on here.  Thats fine, but we see you.

You would be in the minority if you are stating that the roster moves over the past 2 weeks were made to increase the chances of winning games in Sept.   You did allude to this thought based on your comment about Paris WAR compared to squids.

1 hour ago, Jeff Fletcher said:

They did both obviously. 

They didn’t need to put him on waivers since he had options, but I guess they figured they were going to need 40-man spots for when all these guys come off the 60-day so May as well see if anyone wants him. 

They were pretty fed up with him after the stolen base attempt on Saturday. 

Exactly.  Neto is going to return, Paris can hold it down in the meantime, Rengifo can handle SS, we also have Soto and Fletcher, who has obviously fallen out of favor. 

4 minutes ago, Swordsman78 said:

All I did was preemptively take away future talking points.  Probably yours included.  Which I will catch you on, no doubt.  

Cram it. Nobody but you have Nevin running through their brains like some junkie on meth.