• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Do we want to give the Ohtanisan buku money to DH?

Mega Monies poll  

21 members have voted

1. 1. Give Shohei the monies$$$$?

• Yes
    • No

I think he is worth keeping. I can see him agreeing to a 2 year deal with the Angels while he rehabs. I imagine it would be much more comfortable to him to rehab with a team and fanbase he is already familiar with as opposed to the high pressure and expectations placed on him from rehabbing with another team.

But then again, maybe he is done with the Angels. Blowing his arm out on a failed team he has been carrying on his back could be the last straw

1 minute ago, UndertheHalo said:

Look.  It’s all the money.  

I was thinking like 40 million+ aav. Still a at least 5 or 6 year deal.

Ken Rosenthal thinks he can still get a $500M deal:

Closing paragraph of the article:

"Wednesday’s distressing news will bring a certain sobriety to Ohtani’s free-agent process that might have been lacking otherwise. Teams cannot pay him as a two-way superstar when his future dominance as a pitcher is much more in question. But they still can pay him for who he is virtually certain to remain, one of the sport’s top offensive players. That’s worth $500 million. At least that."

I've said all along and I'll say it again now: I don't want any part of a contract at that level for him or any other player, unless Moreno (or whoever the eventual long-term owner will be) commits to upping the payroll on an ongoing basis.

5 minutes ago, jsnpritchett said:

Ken Rosenthal thinks he can still get a $500M deal:

Closing paragraph of the article:

"Wednesday’s distressing news will bring a certain sobriety to Ohtani’s free-agent process that might have been lacking otherwise. Teams cannot pay him as a two-way superstar when his future dominance as a pitcher is much more in question. But they still can pay him for who he is virtually certain to remain, one of the sport’s top offensive players. That’s worth $500 million. At least that."

I've said all along and I'll say it again now: I don't want any part of a contract at that level for him or any other player, unless Moreno (or whoever the eventual long-term owner will be) commits to upping the payroll on an ongoing basis.

Fuck the bow tie.  

also, I don’t care.  Give him that.  Whatever. 

The "best hitter in the game" is true if you look at this year only. For this, let's look at wRC+, which I think is the best overall stat for offensive value.

2023:

1. Ohtani 181
  2. Betts 167
  3. Acuna 165
  4. Freeman 164
  5. Diaz 160

But that's qualified only. If we broaden PA a bit, you've got Seager at 186 and Judge at 182, both slightly ahead of Shohei.

2021-23:

1. Judge 180
  2. Trout 163
  3. Alvarez 159
  4. Ohtani 157
  5. Freeman/Soto 151

So obviously he's among the best, but Judge probably gets the edge in terms of per plate appearance - he's just been so damn good the last two years. Trout is in the running, but can't stay healthy. Betts' best years are up there and Acuna has been great, but is more of an overall player - and possibly the best position player in the game right now.

Either way, Shohei is one of the two or three best hitters in the game. The problem is that he's shown us three different versions the last three years. If he keeps hitting like 2023, then he's worth $40M even as a DH. But 2022 is more of a $25M guy, and 2021 more of a $30-35M guy. So really, as a DH only, he's probably "worth" $35M a year.

3 minutes ago, Angelsjunky said:

The "best hitter in the game" is true if you look at this year only. For this, let's look at wRC+, which I think is the best overall stat for offensive value.

2023:

1. Ohtani 181
  2. Betts 167
  3. Acuna 165
  4. Freeman 164
  5. Diaz 160

But that's qualified only. If we broaden PA a bit, you've got Seager at 186 and Judge at 182, both slightly ahead of Shohei.

2021-23:

1. Judge 180
  2. Trout 163
  3. Alvarez 159
  4. Ohtani 157
  5. Freeman/Soto 151

So obviously he's among the best, but Judge probably gets the edge in terms of per plate appearance - he's just been so damn good the last two years. Trout is in the running, but can't stay healthy. Betts' best years are up there and Acuna has been great, but is more of an overall player - and possibly the best position player in the game right now.

Either way, Shohei is one of the two or three best hitters in the game. The problem is that he's shown us three different versions the last three years. If he keeps hitting like 2023, then he's worth $40M even as a DH. But 2022 is more of a $25M guy, and 2021 more of a $30-35M guy. So really, as a DH only, he's probably "worth" $35M a year.

426/10

2 minutes ago, Angelsjunky said:

I wouldn't be surprised to see him get a heavily incentivized contract, something like:

10/$350M base, which basically covers hitting.

+$1M for every 20 IP pitched, or maybe $500K per start. He could make $45-50M a year, depending up how much he pitches.

But Ohtani doesn't care about money, am I right? He just wants to win.

5 minutes ago, fan_since79 said:

How does signing him help this team to sniff the postseason? A lot of major problems have to be solved first before this team can compete with the big boys. 

How does losing him help?

you don’t like the losing? Imagine losing and being fucking boring.  No thank you imo. 

Edited by UndertheHalo

“If” the UCL injury drops his AAV a bit, the marketing revenue and brand notoriety probably pays for the contract in sheer dollars and cents. 

The issue remains whether or not Arte will allow Perry to round out the other gaps in the roster.  At best, Ohtani wouldn’t be a rotation force again until late 2025, more likely 2026. As such, you have a rotation spot to cover AND there is no incumbent ace.  A lot different to cover 1-2 starter than a 3-4 starter. 

The good news is they have a decent collective of young MLB talent to offset the Ohtani/Rendon/Trout money. Ward coming back strong and Adell establishing himself as a capable MLB player would be a huge help

He's not getting the mega 600 million contract now in free agency, and I feel bad for the guy, even if it's like some have said that he doesn't care about money. It's plausible that this injury will cost him 300 million++. That's a huge chunk of change to lose, it's generational money. It's gotta sting the guy. Yes I know he's still filthy rich, but are his great grandchildren still filthy rich?

My point is I see a few posters putting forward the notion that the Halos should offer him a relatively modest 2 or 3 year contract at 30 or 40 mil annual.

There is still going to be a franchise that offers him a couple hundred million contract..200/300 million contract. If your Shohei at this point being damaged goods to an extent, why do you not take the bigger contract for financial security from a better franchise who is competitive?

Why would he want to sign a 2 year 80 million contract with the crappy Angels?

Someone is still going to pay the man, it just will not be in the 600M range.

On another note since Ohtani has been dictating his workload , if he had decided to shut it down pitching wise after his arm fatigue recently do you know how much shit this board would of gave him. It would have been the right decision for him personally esp since the team was done.

Yes, but only to a point. If his surgery can make him good to pitch regularly again, That probably means no pitching in 2024,which is very inconvenient for his free-agency campaign. Half-a-billion or more would be a gamble that even the Mets' owner might shy away from.

As a regular outfielder or first-baseman, surgery permitting, he'd be reasonable at Trout or Judge money. The contract would not be a decade, unless there's an out for both sides or full-insurance.

EDIT;

BTW, it's "beaucoup bucks."