• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Top Priorities for 2024

Just now, jsnpritchett said:

Yep, pretty much what I've been saying.  I'm concerned that too many of us have invested too much in O'Hoppe and the reality is we don't know yet. 

Hes a lot more likely to be Max Stassi than he is JT Realmuto. And even if he is Realmuto this team has a long way to go towards being competitive.

Trout was a 3-4 win player yet again this year, we are losing 10 wins off of Ohtani. All the work they put in to making this team a contender improved them maybe 5-10 wins over last year. The minor league system really doesn't have anything. Bottom line is, at some point they are going to need to face reality and aim for competing at some point in the future.

9 minutes ago, AngelsLakersFan said:

O'Hoppe looked great before he got hurt, but hes far from establishing himself. Neto has had a great year and hes definitely a building block. Moniak is a platoon outfielder, with maybe Joc Pederson upside, but thats not a difference maker. Adell is, who knows.

They have some pieces for sure but this is a long way off from having a legitimate winning core. 

You have to start somewhere. Trout will be back along with Rendon. If Ohtani leaves opens up DH spot. People forget Ward also will be back. I do believe Sandoval, Detmers and Canning will improve with experience. For 2024 I try and resign Moore, Lopez, Moose and Ursela. Thaiss and O'Hoppe behind the plate. I just do not think it is all gloom and doom. 

On 8/12/2023 at 1:22 PM, Stradling said:

He’s such a cancer that when he’s in the lineup, the team actually performs better. Again, this isn’t me defending ran down as much as it is defending against nonsense. Fans don’t like him but the team doesn’t seem to mind him in the line up. 

I have totally soured on Rendon BECAUSE he is productive when in the lineup, even at a seemingly reduced capacity. Unfortunately, he rarely IS in the lineup. Therein lies the problem.

Because of the financial commitment to Rendon the Angels are forced to manage around him, thereby clogging up a roster spot for a player who’ can’t regularly take the field even when he is on the active roster.  We have seen multiple instances this year where Rendon couldn’t play for a couple days and/or extended stretches yet the club refused to put him on the IL. Essentially the club was forced to play short handed in that span.  It’s tough to quantify the actual W/L impact to the club, but suffice to say playing short handed does not put the odds in one’s favor. 

Furthermore, if Rendon reports to spring training 2024 “healthy”, the Angels will be grossly negligent if they dont roster two other players who can provide depth - one player to take the full time reps and a second player who could cover multiple positions.  If Ohtani walks and they reserve the DH slot for Rendon, that will go a long way to ameliorating the roster problem.  

I fully agree that even a diminished Rendon inexplicably makes the lineup function better when he is in there.  Unfortunately that benefit isn’t great enough to offset the handicaps and strain he places on the active roster.  My frustration comes from the unwillingness of the team to part ways due to the financial commitment.  I certainly understand the “why”, I just don’t like it.  

1 minute ago, Angels 1961 said:

You have to start somewhere. Trout will be back along with Rendon. If Ohtani leaves opens up DH spot. People forget Ward also will be back. I do believe Sandoval, Detmers and Canning will improve with experience. For 2024 I try and resign Moore, Lopez, Moose and Ursela. Thaiss and O'Hoppe behind the plate. I just do not think it is all gloom and doom. 

It's yet another year with .500 type upside

3 minutes ago, jsnpritchett said:

Yep, pretty much what I've been saying.  I'm concerned that too many of us have invested too much in O'Hoppe and the reality is we don't know yet. 

Of all of the players that the Angels will be featuring in 2024, I believe O'Hoppe will be the one player that excels beyond expectations. This guy is going to be the Angels Gary Carter. 

14 minutes ago, Blarg said:

Of all of the players that the Angels will be featuring in 2024, I believe O'Hoppe will be the one player that excels beyond expectations. This guy is going to be the Angels Gary Carter. 

Well I guess its good that we are replacing one hall of famer with another... now about the rest of the team...

48 minutes ago, Blarg said:

But you're doing exactly what I'm concerned about.  You're setting the bar for him at the level of Hall of Fame catcher based on a very small sample.  Are you going to be disappointed if he's Charles Johnson instead of Gary Carter? I think you're just setting yourself up for disappointment. 

1 hour ago, jsnpritchett said:

But you're doing exactly what I'm concerned about.  You're setting the bar for him at the level of Hall of Fame catcher based on a very small sample.  Are you going to be disappointed if he's Charles Johnson instead of Gary Carter? I think you're just setting yourself up for disappointment. 

I saw him last year when he was called up, this season and over at Rancho last week. Gary Carter used to hang out with my brother and I see the same leadership and intensity in O'Hoppe as I did Carter when he was a three sport athlete at Sunny Hills. This guy is the real thing. 

Just now, Blarg said:

I saw him last year when he was called up, this season and over at Rancho last week. Gary Carter used to hang out with my brother and I see the same leadership and intensity in O'Hoppe as I did Carter when he was a three sport athlete at Sunny Hills. This guy is the real thing. 

You didn't answer my question, though. Are you going to be disappointed if he's a Charles Johnson type (i.e., a very good catcher for several years) rather than a Hall of Famer?

3 hours ago, jsnpritchett said:

As we all know...many players have trouble living up to an expectation (ie "a bar being set") & could very well be one of the underlying problems with the current squad. I mean, take how some of the young players were rushed in their development only to, now, face the incessant pressure (especially this season) to "win now or we'll lose #17" further pressed by a rabid media as well. I mean...it hasn't been talked about much here but if the pressure to make the playoffs has been felt by the fans (as I can attest I've experienced) isn't it likely to be many times worse for the players in that clubhouse & could be a reason why some have regressed? I know it's fun to blame Wise but could this, also, be a contributing factor? As it might explain Ohtani's pitching problems/physical ailments this season. As, maybe, he's been pushing himself even harder not just to win but, because he wants to stay an Angel? 

4 hours ago, Angels 1961 said:

Those guys and their 2023 situation can't get much worse.

1 hour ago, jsnpritchett said:

You didn't answer my question, though. Are you going to be disappointed if he's a Charles Johnson type (i.e., a very good catcher for several years) rather than a Hall of Famer?

I rather doubt he will be disappointing and you asking the same question doesn't change that. But you are more than welcome to start being disappointed now just in case you are right and can avoid any anticipation of success.

32 minutes ago, Blarg said:

I rather doubt he will be disappointing and you asking the same question doesn't change that. But you are more than welcome to start being disappointed now just in case you are right and can avoid any anticipation of success.

I think everyone except you will be shocked if OHoppe is a hall of famer.

Penciling him in for that kind of production would be criminal.

3 hours ago, jsnpritchett said:

It will not be the first time for me. Rick Reichardt, Brandon Wood, Jackie Warner, Dallas McPherson the list goes on and on. Besides if O'Hoppe does not work out we have that 20 year old at AA right.

50 minutes ago, Blarg said:

Lol. My point is that if he has the career of someone like Charles Johnson, that's objectively a great outcome! I personally would jump for joy if that's the outcome of his career. It's only a "disappointment" if you're expecting Gary Carter, who's one of the greatest catchers ever. 

8 minutes ago, jsnpritchett said:

Lol. My point is that if he has the career of someone like Charles Johnson, that's objectively a great outcome! I personally would jump for joy if that's the outcome of his career. It's only a "disappointment" if you're expecting Gary Carter, who's one of the greatest catchers ever. 

This reminds me of the Jo Adell should be better than Justin Upton argument.

If Arte is not going to sell the team, then give Theo Epstein whatever he wants to become President of the Los Angeles Angels. With complete control of the franchise, and absolutely no meddling from the owner. If he wants to do a full rebuild from the ground up fine. This organization sucks, and is going nowhere fast.

On 8/13/2023 at 6:55 PM, Angels 1961 said:

You have to start somewhere. Trout will be back along with Rendon. If Ohtani leaves opens up DH spot. People forget Ward also will be back. I do believe Sandoval, Detmers and Canning will improve with experience.

If we’re counting on that, prepare for a disappointing year yet again.  We need to sign Ohtani.  Period.