• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

SI: Angels take Shohei Ohtani off trade market, will buy

mmc

2 minutes ago, Blarg said:

Oh for fucks sake, Wallach wouldn't hit water if he fell out of a boat because his bat is dry docked. He fucking sucks at the plate his entire fucking career and 4 more hits over the next three months isn't going to power the team anywhere but the basement. 

He is a DFA if the Angels even had a substandard replacement. You can't be hitting .194/.275/.380/.655 in the majors and it is definitely a cut line in the minors. The sooner the Angels part ways with him the better. 

Careful, you have a lot of posts, and because of that you will pray on guys with less posts.

5 minutes ago, totdprods said:

I'm gonna weigh in here...it's not Wallach's production I'm worried (well, it's a small part) about when I say we need a catcher. It's the depth that I'm worried about. 

When O'Hoppe is back, Wallach gets waived. Probably claimed. Say something happens to O'Hoppe or Thaiss (or even Okey) in September. The Angels are competing or better yet, make the playoffs. Anthony Mulrine? Zach Humphreys? Scramble to see which vet catcher is sitting around without a job and get him up to speed with the staff? Even if nothing like that happens, rolling into the stretch run on the backs of a a kid who has less than 100 MLB PAs coming off shoulder surgery and a guy who has less than 1,000 innings of MLB catcher experience seems like a recipe for...not disaster, but, maybe a Josh Paul-level blunder that could have been avoided. O'Hoppe hasn't even started a rehab yet.

I'll admit it's an unlikely scenario, but it's a highly specialized and critical position where the Angels have no depth, a position that is rarely available to add to in August and September, and a need that should be able to be filled relatively cheaply now. It's hardly unusual for playoff teams to grab vet catchers this time of year for exactly this reason, why shouldn't the Angels do the same? We're super fortunate Thaiss and Wallach held up as long as they did.

Snag someone like Gomes or Barnhart, waive Wallach now (who knows, maybe we sneak him to AAA or if not, have two months to find another AAA guy), and roll with 3 catchers when O'Hoppe returns and proves healthy. Thaiss can take Escobar's 1B/3B PAs if need be.

You're banking on this September catcher injury and I gotta say, it's kinda awkward. Dude, if shit hits the fan, I'm a million times more fine with Okey over Wallach/Thaiss (I mean, both suck defensively anyway) than I am with Velazquez over Neto. What if Neto gets injured again? Trade for a shortstop.

You play out the rest of the season from this point assuming no one will get injured and you fill the biggest needs from there. Catcher ain't one of them. Pitching, pitching, pitching.

Wanna really play it safe? Trade for Goldschmidt and get Cabbage off the roster since he doesn't belong here.

2 minutes ago, VladdyforHOF said:

How they doing in OPS with runners on base bright guy?

OPS with the bases empty doesn't score many runs.

Look it up and tell me, how many runs do they average per game and where does that rank? 

Let me save you some time. They are 6th highest in runs scored per game in baseball. 4th highest in the American League.

You are at the adult table, come prepared with facts.

1 minute ago, Blarg said:

Look it up and tell me, how many runs do they average per game and where does that rank? 

Let me save you some time. They are 6th highest in runs scored per game in baseball. 4th highest in the American League.

You are at the adult table, come prepared with facts.

Haha.  

So some people think the team should trade for offensive improvement, when the offense is already a powerhouse in their mind. Oh, and grab like 3 pitchers too.

Take out the Colorado game and this team has a negative run differential.

So we really gotta improve on our catching position that has overperformed offensively this season compared to the last 2 decades of Angels catching.

Got it.

I’m happy they are making a run to the playoffs. If you told me the angels were in the running for a wild card spot and still had an outside shot of the division at the end of July even with all the injuries and non effective starters, at the beginning of the season I would have been thrilled. 

we have a pretty solid path to the playoffs, keep winning series and you’re in.