• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

SI: Angels take Shohei Ohtani off trade market, will buy

mmc

Just now, totdprods said:

And we're a September injury away from banking on Okey as our secondary. Wallach is probably claimed when O'Hoppe returns. We still need catcher depth, and it's an easy thing to try and pick off cheaply now. 
May not be necessary, but if a need arises, it sure will feel good knowing it was addressed now.

So I’m not the only one who thinks we need a catcher?  That’s weird. 

1 minute ago, Stradling said:

Read the board, there’s a few of us who’ve noticed that Wallach doesn’t have a single hit the last 5-6 weeks. It was like June 13th the last time he had a hit. So yea upgrading him is a good idea while we wait for Yogi. 

Cool story bro, he's due then. If you were the manager, Mickey Moniak would never face a LHP in his entire career from now. Because he was 0-35 or something. While the rest of us can see improvement.

Just now, HBAngel13 said:

Grandal isn’t great but he has postseason experience and some nitro left in his bat.  Taking him on in a bigger package that includes Cease or Giolito could lessen the prospect hit. 

His defense scared the ever-loving hell out of me in that CWS series. I'd rather look at Gomes or Barnhart from the Cubs or Hedges from Pittsburgh. It's a back-up catcher, so honestly whoever gives you the absolute best defense. 

Also could keep Tampa (Mejia) and the Yankees (Trevino) from checking off a need.

2 minutes ago, VladdyforHOF said:

Cool story bro, he's due then. If you were the manager, Mickey Moniak would never face a LHP in his entire career from now. Because he was 0-35 or something. While the rest of us can see improvement.

Yes he’s now had three hits against them this year.  And Wallach being due would mean he has a history of success which he doesn’t. 

So I’m not the only one who thinks we need a catcher?  That’s weird. 

Did you provide insight on why they should go after a catcher like totdprods did? No, you never do. You're simply a talking head here to back up a few quality posters here. You don't have your own opinions that are actually worth sharing.

Just now, VladdyforHOF said:

Did you provide insight on why they should go after a catcher like totdprods did? No, you never do. You're simply a talking head here to back up a few quality posters here. You don't have your own opinions that are actually worth sharing.

I told you that Wallach hasn’t had a hit in 6 weeks, which is context, but you chose to ignore that.  I shared my own opinion, sorry again because I am constantly rubbing you the wrong way. You can find my opinions all over this board, remember you gave me shit for the number of posts I have.  

10 minutes ago, Stradling said:

Read the board, there’s a few of us who’ve noticed that Wallach doesn’t have a single hit the last 5-6 weeks. It was like June 13th the last time he had a hit. So yea upgrading him is a good idea while we wait for Yogi. 

Context.  

Also, O'Hoppe is starting to resume activities, sure, and seems to be on-track...but he's still not exactly ready. Still could have a setback, injury, struggle...and as good as he is, not much MLB experience. I can't imagine it wouldn't be a savvy move to have a really experienced MLB vet back there to help him during the stretch run. 

7 minutes ago, Stradling said:

I told you that Wallach hasn’t had a hit in 6 weeks, which is context, but you chose to ignore that.  I shared my own opinion, sorry again because I am constantly rubbing you the wrong way. You can find my opinions all over this board, remember you gave me shit for the number of posts I have.  

Yeah and keep pretending that Wallach had another 6 week stretch this season without a hit.

Do you know what he was hitting before that? Well over .200? With 6 homers?

You're worried about a 2nd string catcher that isn't hitting when the whole lineup has been generally bad at hitting for large stretches of time this season. The whole entire offense has a terrible approach with RISP and you're sitting there worried about hitting at the catching position.

I'm sure you wanted Trout traded after his 0-26 last year, didn't ya.

Just now, VladdyforHOF said:

Yeah and keep pretending that Wallach had another 6 week stretch this season without a hit.

Do you know what he was hitting before that? Well over .200? With 6 homers?

You're worried about a 2nd string catcher that isn't hitting when the whole lineup has been generally bad at hitting for large stretches of time this season. The whole entire offense has a terrible approach with RISP and you're sitting there worried about hitting at the catching position.

I'm sure you wanted Trout traded after his 0-26 last year, didn't ya.

No. But you comparing Trout’s slump to Wallach’s slump says a lot about you. One is an inner circle HOFer the other is a career .197 hitter with 10 career homers. Also if we are going to make a run improve the team, catcher is one of those places you can improve as is starting pitching and relief pitching.

No. But you comparing Trout’s slump to Wallach’s slump says a lot about you. One is an inner circle HOFer the other is a career .197 hitter with 10 career homers. Also if we are going to make a run improve the team, catcher is one of those places you can improve as is starting pitching and relief pitching.

I didn't compare Trout to Wallach. Just pointing out how I think your brain works.

1 minute ago, VladdyforHOF said:

Don't rely on yourself to propose a package for this though. Just agree with whatever Second Base comes up with and if anyone disagrees with you then they are just wrong.

Ok.  Hey @Second Base would you say I agree or disagree with you on most things?  I have been wrong plenty of times. Sometimes I am right and people who disagree with me are wrong.  

10 minutes ago, VladdyforHOF said:

I'm gonna weigh in here...it's not Wallach's production I'm worried (well, it's a small part) about when I say we need a catcher. It's the depth that I'm worried about. 

When O'Hoppe is back, Wallach gets waived. Probably claimed. Say something happens to O'Hoppe or Thaiss (or even Okey) in September. The Angels are competing or better yet, make the playoffs. Anthony Mulrine? Zach Humphreys? Scramble to see which vet catcher is sitting around without a job and get him up to speed with the staff? Even if nothing like that happens, rolling into the stretch run on the backs of a a kid who has less than 100 MLB PAs coming off shoulder surgery and a guy who has less than 1,000 innings of MLB catcher experience seems like a recipe for...not disaster, but, maybe a Josh Paul-level blunder that could have been avoided. O'Hoppe hasn't even started a rehab yet.

I'll admit it's an unlikely scenario, but it's a highly specialized and critical position where the Angels have no depth, a position that is rarely available to add to in August and September, and a need that should be able to be filled relatively cheaply now. It's hardly unusual for playoff teams to grab vet catchers this time of year for exactly this reason, why shouldn't the Angels do the same? We're super fortunate Thaiss and Wallach held up as long as they did.

Snag someone like Gomes or Barnhart, waive Wallach now (who knows, maybe we sneak him to AAA or if not, have two months to find another AAA guy), and roll with 3 catchers when O'Hoppe returns and proves healthy. Thaiss can take Escobar's 1B/3B PAs if need be.

Edited by totdprods

I understand and get it that we need both starting and relief pitching but does anyone think we should make a try at getting Paul Goldschmidt? Since Walsh never came back we still don't have a 1B that can be a MOTO. I know I'll probably get skewered for this and I certainly agree that pitching is the main priority but I wonder if the Cards might just be ready to throw in the towel and move on from Goldie and start working towards next year.

Just my .02

~ArkyAngelsFan~

2 hours ago, tdawg87 said:

We're like, a weekend away from season over. 

Ok.

It's not so much the 16 straight games before the next off day, but the following 12 games that could bury us. Houston, Texas, Tampa, and Cincinnati. This month-long stretch is brutal. We need Trout back, Neto, O'Hoppe, and some upgrade of the bullpen.

8 minutes ago, VladdyforHOF said:

Oh for fucks sake, Wallach wouldn't hit water if he fell out of a boat because his bat is dry docked. He fucking sucks at the plate his entire fucking career and 4 more hits over the next three months isn't going to power the team anywhere but the basement. 

He is a DFA if the Angels even had a substandard replacement. You can't be hitting .194/.275/.380/.655 in the majors and it is definitely a cut line in the minors. The sooner the Angels part ways with him the better. 

1 minute ago, Blarg said:

Oh for fucks sake, Wallach wouldn't hit water if he fell out of a boat because his bat is dry docked. He fucking sucks at the plate his entire fucking career and 4 more hits over the next three months isn't going to power the team anywhere but the basement. 

He is a DFA if the Angels even had a substandard replacement. You can't be hitting .194/.275/.380/.655 in the majors and it is definitely a cut line in the minors. The sooner the Angels part ways with him the better. 

Why u gotta be so logical man?