• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Never have I ever ....

Witnessed a pro team (any sport) have such a high % of their active roster out with injuries.

The odds of this many guys getting hurt, have to be astronomical.   Even Pro football rosters are never this decimated.

Ohoppe, Moore, Neto, Gio, Druery, Rendon, Ward,Trout, Adell,  Stassi.

This is even with the players getting "rest days".  

Is this just how things are going to be from here on out?  Does MLB need to Reduce to a max of 4 games per week?  Todays players just don't seem able to shake off the nicks like players of the past. 

Winning Baseball has become more dependent on which teams stay healthy, as opposed to the best roster the GM puts together. 

it honestly sucks for the fans.  It sucks for the owners to see $50 mil + sitting out at any given time.

The game needs fixing.

Edited by Swordsman78

16 minutes ago, Swordsman78 said:

Witnessed a pro team (any sport) have such a high % of their active roster out with injuries.

The odds of this many guys getting hurt, have to be astronomical.   Even Pro football rosters are never this decimated.

Ohoppe, Moore, Neto, Gio, Druery, Rendon, Ward,Trout, Adell, Moore. Stassi.

Is this just how things are going to be from here on out?  Does MLB need to Reduce to a max of 4 games per week?  Todays players just don't seem able to shake off the nicks like players of the past. 

Winning Baseball has become more dependent on which teams stay healthy, as opposed to the best roster the GM puts together. 

it honestly sucks for the fans.  It sucks for the owners to see &50 mil + sitting out at any given time.

The game needs fixing.

I posted something in the Gameday Thread about this.  The Angels are only something like 6th or 7th in days lost to the IL so far this year, and all but one team with more days lost has a better record than the Angels. 

13 minutes ago, jsnpritchett said:

I posted something in the Gameday Thread about this.  The Angels are only something like 6th or 7th in days lost to the IL so far this year, and all but one team with more days lost has a better record than the Angels. 

Can you give an example of one of the teams ahead of them and which players they lost ?

This post is referrring to quantity of position players out as opposed to # of days missed. 

12 minutes ago, Swordsman78 said:

Can you give an example of one of the teams ahead of them and which players they lost ?

This post is referrring to quantity of position players out as opposed to # of days missed. 

Off the top of my head without doing any research at all, I know the Yankees were at the top of the list and they've lost Judge, Stanton, and Bader, plus Cortes and Rodon from the pitching staff for long stretches. I'm sure they've lost others. 

Just now, jsnpritchett said:

Off the top of my head without doing any research at all, I know the Yankees were at the top of the list and they've lost Judge, Stanton, and Bader, plus Cortes and Rodon from the pitching staff for long stretches. I'm sure they've lost others. 

So they lost about 1/3 of what the Angels lost.  Not even close.

Exactly why #days out is not a relevant metric

53 minutes ago, Swordsman78 said:

Ohoppe, Moore, Neto, Gio, Druery, Rendon, Ward,Trout, Adell, Moore. Stassi.

it honestly sucks for the fans.  It sucks for the owners to see &50 mil + sitting out at any given time.

The game needs fixing.

The inuries suck.   They have decimated the team.  You are right.  However bad mouthing the players for "being soft" because they are injured then you are a loser!

1 minute ago, jsnpritchett said:

Lol.  Your original post didn't make it clear that you meant only position players (you list Moore among the injured--in fact, you list him twice).

Thx I corrected that, but i also probably left off someone too.

The entire post was about "guys out", never mentioned #days.

3 minutes ago, stormngt said:

The inuries suck.   They have decimated the team.  You are right.  However bad mouthing the players for "being soft" because they are injured then you are a loser!

It was an "observation".  I think the big contracts = more caution.

I can tell you that guys have played with contusions over the years alot, and did not need 7+ games off.

3 minutes ago, Swordsman78 said:

Thx I corrected that, but i also probably left off someone too.

The entire post was about "guys out", never mentioned #days.

Both are important to look at. 

My point was not to say that the Angels haven't had a lot of injuries.  Of course they have. But other teams have had several impact players hurt for extended periods of time and have managed to weather it. 

Injuries are a major component of the Angels struggles--but so is underperformance by any number of players. 

8 minutes ago, jsnpritchett said:

Both are important to look at. 

My point was not to say that the Angels haven't had a lot of injuries.  Of course they have. But other teams have had several impact players hurt for extended periods of time and have managed to weather it. 

Injuries are a major component of the Angels struggles--but so is underperformance by any number of players. 

Several is < 7 position starters at the same time for extended periods

Not aware of any team with this amount of injuries ever.

Even with the underperforming, the Angels were contending prior to the rash of injuries 

Edited by Swordsman78

It's not just the quantity of injuries, but the quality and position of the players lost. The entire infield have been/will be without starters for significant lengths of time. Leading to out of position and out of sync defense and a patchwork batting order. Plus acquiring older depreciating veterans to fill in who they probably wouldn't go after otherwise. 

For those who follow hockey, the Ducks also had a terrible injury season. The second worst overall. And the Canadiens followed up their 2022 most injured status with the third most in 2023. And recently fired their entire training staff. 

Hard to say how much could be prevented or minimized by changing  trainers, therapists, conditioning personnel and putting in new people with different approaches and routines.

Athletes will get hurt. It goes with the territory. The severity is a matter of luck, physiology and recuperative capacity. Presumably all major sports teams have cutting edge technology and medical resources. But when the same franchises are always highly injury prone you wonder if there is a common factor or it's just bad luck. 

How much does it it even matter. During this losing stretch our pitching has been atrocious...no? I don't watch games cause i would rather do literally anything else, so maybe I'm wrong.

Every year you guys place the blame on injuries. 

This team just isn't good. The only other AL teams with a worse team ERA than us are in last place in their divisions.  And just like the fans here love to blame this orgs failures on injuries every year, you guys also love to overrate the younger players.

5 hours ago, jsnpritchett said:

From the game a few days ago, so it's only gone up since then. Was talking to my cousin when this came on, and I sent him the picture. 

Agree that it's not just the quantity, but the quality. 

20230705_171426.jpg

34 minutes ago, Angels 1961 said:

Dodgers have lost many of their pitchers to injuries. Dodgers have depth in pitching in minors. At deadline Dodgers will go out and get what they need to make playoffs again. I hate the Dodgers but a very well run organization but no WS title since 1988.

The Dodgers just won the WS in 2020...