• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Angels place Anthony Rendon on IL (left wrist contusion), select Kevin Padlo, move Jose Suarez to 60-day IL

mmc

• mmc changed the title to Angels place Rendon on IL, will select Kevin Padlo
7 hours ago, Chuckster70 said:

I bet they call up Kevin Padlo or Jake Lamb (hope not). 

5 hours ago, Trendon said:

Problem with calling either of them up is then you have to DFA them after.

So in the interest of retaining depth, Cabbage, Fletcher, or Soto may be the best options.

Season 4 Success GIF by The Office

As part of today's roster moves, the Angels announced the release of Aaron Whitefield, Ryan Aguilar, and Kevin Maitan. We thank them for their contributions to the Trash Pandas and the Rocket City community these past two seasons, and we wish them well on their next endeavors.

3 hours ago, ten ocho recon scout said:

This was mentioned on here a few days ago. And in all honesty it's not fair.

To Hamilton.

They both put up a 110 ops+ as Angels. But Rendon needs 10 more HRs and another 13 RBI to catch Hamilton.

Those obviously aren't the only stats that matter. But it really says something...

To be fair, Hamilton also played in 50 more games as an Angel. 

In 2 years.

And I'm not super confidant we'll see Rendon hit 10 home runs over his next 50 games. 

And we've paid Rendon about the same amount to this point as Hamiltons whole contract.

Rendon is far more likeable than Hamilton. And getting hurt isn't his fault. But there's no way to ignore it. The Rendon deal has been just as bad. 

Seemed like a great add at the time, but so did Hamilton. So did Upton. Etc etc

Ya I mean as far as on the field, Rendon is easily the worst right now.  

Upton turned out not great but he hit some dongs and produced in that first full year.  Good club house guy it seemed like.  So I don’t really put him into the S tier disasters.  Standard disaster.  Upton is a typical contract. 

1 hour ago, Revad said:

I’m so confused.  Maybe just buying time to let Renfroe practice at 1b?  I don’t understand this move unless Fletcher is still unavailable?  How’s Padlo’s defense at 1st?

The Angels needed someone who could play 3B.  We have Rengifo and that's about it, so it makes sense to call up someone who can play 3B.

Notably, Padlo plays 3B/1B, which is effectively what Urshela covered.  Given Urshela is likely out for a long time (the rest of the season?), it seems to make sense to call up someone who covers the same positions he did.

7 hours ago, Trendon said:

Problem with calling either of them up is then you have to DFA them after.

So in the interest of retaining depth, Cabbage, Fletcher, or Soto may be the best options.

I am thinking that Padlo may end up sticking on the roster even after Rendon comes back.  Stefanic can probably be optioned back, and Padlo will serve as a backup for 3B/1B.  Drury will mainly cover 2B, but so can Rengifo, etc.

9 minutes ago, DMVol said:

Drury has played a lot of 3b….just slightly less than 2b….

https://www.baseball-reference.com/players/d/drurybr01.shtml

7 minutes ago, arch stanton said:

But he's much better at 2nd which is why Rengifo is playing 3rd and not Drury

Yeah, this.  Given how they've deployed Drury, it seems they essentially have him pegged as our 2B/1B coverage.  I'm sure they could slide him over to 3B as needed, but would probably like to keep that as an "as needed" basis and not routinely scheduled.

From what I've read, it seems Padlo is a fairly decent defensive 3B.  Not sure how he'll fair offensively, but he's had a solid year in AAA with a good BB% and a respectable K%.  He'll probably slide into the Urshela role for now, and may get a fair amount of starts until Rendon returns.  We'll see how he fares in the big leagues.