• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Gameday Thread (6/17/23): Angels @ Kansas City

34 minutes ago, VladdyforHOF said:

It's also just very hard to explain/understand sometimes. Like in this case losing this game without even using your closer who is one of the best right now. I don't see the sense of urgency with these decisions sometimes. Why be greedy enough to try to end it with Devenski there?

Clown tier 

Nevin got too cute. 

Under the circumstances of this season you have to bury a team you have on the ropes. Not take a lead for granted to experiment with. Especially with a team in desperation for a win. And now it inadvertently opens up questions about the reliability of the bullpen. And whether there are underlying issues with Estevez. If he was healthy he should have been used. It's not halfway through the season, and he was just rested recently. Fatigue shouldn't yet be an issue, Securing a win is his role. 

That said, sweeping teams isn't so easy. They have to bounce back hard tomorrow and wipe this abomination away. It's just one game, but the kind that can lead to doubts and a downward spiral. Take the series and try to regain confidence against the Dodgers.

20 minutes ago, Duren, Duren said:

Nevin got too cute. 

Under the circumstances of this season you have to bury a team you have on the ropes. Not take a lead for granted to experiment with. Especially with a team in desperation for a win. And now it inadvertently opens up questions about the reliability of the bullpen. And whether there are underlying issues with Estevez. If he was healthy he should have been used. It's not halfway through the season, and he was just rested recently. Fatigue shouldn't yet be an issue, Securing a win is his role. 

That said, sweeping teams isn't so easy. They have to bounce back hard tomorrow and wipe this abomination away. It's just one game, but the kind that can lead to doubts and a downward spiral. Take the series and try to regain confidence against the Dodgers.

Agreed. Best to move on. Can't win them all. Get the W tomorrow and this team is still in decent shape. Sweeping the Dodgers would be appreciated. 

18 games left before the ASB. Getting at least 12 of those would be great.

Estevez warmed up Sunday in a save situation and was ready to pitch the 9th inning, but the Angels scored 2 runs in the bottom of the 8th and Estevez wasn't used. He then closed on Monday and Tuesday. He pitched Thursday and couldn't find the strike zone and was pulled after 3 batters. Nevin probably decided that the almost close, followed by 2 closes, 1 day off and a horrible performance the next game, that Estevez was overused and decided to give him 2 days off. 

Using Ingram with a 6 run lead is fine, but why would you let him pitch to a 4th batter, when he looked like crap? Why would you not let Webb start the 8th, since you only have 2 reliable pitchers left (Devenski and Soriano) and hope that both are on their game? Why would you not pull Soriano, who couldn't find the strike zone, when you pulled Estevez in the same situation 2 days ago?

Also, why bring Ingram up at all, since they have gone away from soft tossers, and not bring up Wantz who can hit 96 and shown he can people out most of the time?

1 hour ago, drpiranha said:

Estevez warmed up Sunday in a save situation and was ready to pitch the 9th inning, but the Angels scored 2 runs in the bottom of the 8th and Estevez wasn't used. He then closed on Monday and Tuesday. He pitched Thursday and couldn't find the strike zone and was pulled after 3 batters. Nevin probably decided that the almost close, followed by 2 closes, 1 day off and a horrible performance the next game, that Estevez was overused and decided to give him 2 days off. 

All this is spot on.

Nevin said he decided on Thursday that Estévez was getting 2 days off. 

4 hours ago, Angel Oracle said:

After 7 straight losing seasons, and being a fan since 1966, I have my right to vent as long as it’s only in the game day thread!

I don’t tell others to shut up.

I never got why that is a thing.

This is a message board with varying opinions.

I give credit where it’s due, critique when it’s due, and vent when it’s due.

Simple as that

Okay they have been playing good ball and their worst pitchers in the bullpen piss 1 game away and you post some stupid post about they will lose 5 of 6, as if the sky is falling. 

4 hours ago, rafibomb said:

It sucks because he’s a rookie but this game is on Ingram. The script was too perfect. Canning goes 6 innings and you have a 6 run lead against the worst team in baseball. You have a taxed bullpen that’s been so good lately and a chance to save them. He absolutely shit the bed and I feel for him.

The Pen gave up 5 runs without Ingram

57 minutes ago, Jeff Fletcher said:

All this is spot on.

Nevin said he decided on Thursday that Estévez was getting 2 days off. 

Curious why he didn’t decide to also give Soriano more time off.

He pitched 4x in 8 days.

May not seem like a lot on the surface, but he’s also fairly new to the bullpen.

4 minutes ago, Trendon said:

That part of the pen has been used a lot lately and wouldn’t have been needed if Ingram does better.

Or if the Halo SP can actually get through 7 once in a while.   Even  2 of 6 starts would greatly help.

Edited by Swordsman78

10 hours ago, Trendon said:

That part of the pen has been used a lot lately and wouldn’t have been needed if Ingram does better.

But you would expect Ingram to dominate his first apoearance.  I like him coming in with a 6 run lead because i expected him to have jitters.

Fact is Royals had tp score 5 more runs despite Ingram.  The loss isnt on him.

Edited by stormngt

14 minutes ago, Vlad27Trout27 said:

if there worried about overusing the BP, you call up Wantz and also let Tucker pitch in blow outs.

Of course you failed to let everyone know this prior to the game.  Next time we'd appreciate your roster suggestions prior to the game instead of waiting for things to go wrong, saving us the anxiety and devastation of a loss.

17 hours ago, Trendon said:

Curious why he didn’t decide to also give Soriano more time off.

He pitched 4x in 8 days.

May not seem like a lot on the surface, but he’s also fairly new to the bullpen.

I am sure he wanted to but after it got within 3 they had to do what they had to do to win the game.