• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Paul Goldschmidt?

Skimming a somewhat clickbaity MLB.com article about the Cards possibly moving Goldschmidt, with the Angels listed as a potential destination.

If St. Louis really was open to it, sure would make a lot of sense. He doesn’t have a huge commitment remaining for salary, gives Angels some Trout/Ohtani insurance this year and next, immediately fills a need at 1B.

Angels could conceivably part with guys like Quero or any of the IF prospects now with Neto seemingly locking in SS, one of Adams, Adell, or Moniak, and have decent enough pitching depth to part with some guys there. Jack Flaherty would be a solid SP addition too, and being local, a feasible extension candidate (if not already a possible off-season target?)…I would be real hesitant, but Detmers would be big on their wish list given his St. Louis history too. 

What I’m saying is that we match up well, at the very least, for both teams’ wants and needs.

8 minutes ago, totdprods said:

Skimming a somewhat clickbaity MLB.com article about the Cards possibly moving Goldschmidt, with the Angels listed as a potential destination.

If St. Louis really was open to it, sure would make a lot of sense. He doesn’t have a huge commitment remaining for salary, gives Angels some Trout/Ohtani insurance this year and next, immediately fills a need at 1B.

Angels could conceivably part with guys like Quero or any of the IF prospects now with Neto seemingly locking in SS, one of Adams, Adell, or Moniak, and have decent enough pitching depth to part with some guys there. Jack Flaherty would be a solid SP addition too, and being local, a feasible extension candidate (if not already a possible off-season target?)…I would be real hesitant, but Detmers would be big on their wish list given his St. Louis history too. 

What I’m saying is that we match up well, at the very least, for both teams’ wants and needs.

If the Cardinals decided to do this, they need to do it this season.  He'll have 10/5 veto rights at the end of this season. 

9 minutes ago, totdprods said:

This would go a long way to beefing up the offense, though arguably, we need an TOR SP more (If the Cubs are serious about moving Stroman...)

1 minute ago, REDneck said:

Sexy name to pencil into the MOTO on a daily basis..for sure!

This team has a big time power outage from traditionally positions where you need power.

First and Third.

The Angels are 3rd in the AL for home runs. 5th in all of baseball. They are also 3rd in the AL in OPS. So it matters little where the power comes from and there is something to say about spreading it around so there is no reliance on a couple players providing all of the big hits. 

28 minutes ago, Blarg said:

A trade for Goldschmidt would be salary relief for the Cards, I would not include any of Adell, Moniak or Adams in the deal. That's just giving away talent for a guy they would want to unload while rebuilding, so if anything you give them Walsh and a couple of lower prospect players. 

This, im not giving up those guys and taking back the contract.  Id love to see this but i think the contract is not something Arte will assume.

He isn’t due a massive financial commitment. Something like $26m this year and next year, I think. And he’s still good. So yes, salary relief for sure, but it’s not like it’s a pure salary dump. 

Have to think Houston is already looking at him too…

Flaherty, Mikolas, Matz…I’m sure cardinals would love to drop some salary from the rotation too. Any of those guys could help stabilize the rotation. They’ve got some relievers to shop from too.

A good match-up overall and either way for both clubs.

45 minutes ago, Blarg said:

so if anything you give them Walsh and a couple of lower prospect players

Fan proposals are usually pretty funny to me.  This one is no exception.  I'm sure the Cardinals could get much more than that for him. 

At the end of the day, I'd much rather see them add to their pitching.

26 minutes ago, Blarg said:

The Angels are 3rd in the AL for home runs. 5th in all of baseball. They are also 3rd in the AL in OPS. So it matters little where the power comes from and there is something to say about spreading it around so there is no reliance on a couple players providing all of the big hits. 

That's why I said traditionally.

But, you are correct sir!

1 hour ago, T.G. said:

Fan proposals are usually pretty funny to me.  This one is no exception.  I'm sure the Cardinals could get much more than that for him. 

Not on a salary dump. 

13 minutes ago, Erstad Grit said:

Can't remember last time Cardinals were looking to rebuild, even minimally.  

1B seems to be the most glaring hole on our team. 

It wouldn't be a full rebuild, more of a retool. 

They have guys like Gorman, Walker, Carlson and Edman who I'm sure they'll build around.

Masyn Wynn and Ivan Herrera up soon. 

1 hour ago, Blarg said:

and Goldy's defense has always been elite. He has 4 gold gloves and has always been one of the better all-around 1B's in the league. 

It would be amazing if Perry could get Goldy without unloading any top prospects. 

also shows Ohtani the Angels mean business this year. As someone mentioned if it could be Goldschmidt plus another unwanted contract and we didn’t have to give up a bunch of young talent, I mean that would be wild. 

2 hours ago, T.G. said:

They can do both..But this topic is on 1B, which has been a black hole offensively and the defense has been below average whenever Walsh, who cannot seem hit anymore, doesn't play. 

2 hours ago, aznhockeyguy said:

If the Cardinals decided to do this, they need to do it this season.  He'll have 10/5 veto rights at the end of this season. 

How has he been on the Cardinals for 5 years? WOW...

I don't think they trade him, but if they could get Flaherty and Goldschmidt the value there would be like 38 on BTV.

That would be like Quero, Adell, and Suarez, plus another reliever likely..