• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Paul Goldschmidt?

2 hours ago, Blarg said:

The Angels are 3rd in the AL for home runs. 5th in all of baseball. They are also 3rd in the AL in OPS. So it matters little where the power comes from and there is something to say about spreading it around so there is no reliance on a couple players providing all of the big hits. 

Exactly. Wallach can't do it all.

2 hours ago, totdprods said:

He isn’t due a massive financial commitment. Something like $26m this year and next year, I think. And he’s still good. So yes, salary relief for sure, but it’s not like it’s a pure salary dump. 

Have to think Houston is already looking at him too…

Flaherty, Mikolas, Matz…I’m sure cardinals would love to drop some salary from the rotation too. Any of those guys could help stabilize the rotation. They’ve got some relievers to shop from too.

A good match-up overall and either way for both clubs.

Gallegos is a pen guy I could see being included if Arte paid the whole contract. 

6 minutes ago, Chuckster70 said:

Chad has really channelled his dad Tim Wallach with the bat this season.

You love to see it. 

This season, Angels catchers are tied for third in the Majors with 11 home runs and rank second with a .811 OPS.

How much a boost has Thaiss been? I've been pulling for him the past few years, and he's successfully been in my group of quiet favorites that has sucked.

Suddenly this year he shocks everyone.

No matter what happens going forward, he gets credit for being a huge part of why we're still in the race. I don't think anyone (me included) expected much out of him.

2 hours ago, Blarg said:

The Angels are 3rd in the AL for home runs. 5th in all of baseball. They are also 3rd in the AL in OPS. So it matters little where the power comes from and there is something to say about spreading it around so there is no reliance on a couple players providing all of the big hits. 

The Angels may lose Ohtani, Renfoe and Urshela to FA, so it would be nice to have someone that could potentially replace a portion those numbers.

20 minutes ago, ten ocho recon scout said:

How much a boost has Thaiss been? I've been pulling for him the past few years, and he's successfully been in my group of quiet favorites that has sucked.

Suddenly this year he shocks everyone.

No matter what happens going forward, he gets credit for being a huge part of why we're still in the race. I don't think anyone (me included) expected much out of him.

Ironically, if Stassi didnt go on the IL, it was very likely that Thaiss gets DFA at the start of the season.

1 hour ago, Chuckster70 said:

You love to see it. 

This season, Angels catchers are tied for third in the Majors with 11 home runs and rank second with a .811 OPS.

Great to see former Titans succeeding with the Halos.

3 minutes ago, steveuk said:

That’s a weird thing T.G. I would spell it aging but the corrective text thingy changed it to ageing so I thought maybe that’s the American way? Anyway, I was only being facetious re Albert as I think people realised 😉

Indeed, it was well played.

1 hour ago, Chuckster70 said:

You love to see it. 

I keep calling him Chad Walbeck thinking of former Angel catcher Matt Walbeck.

Chad's first game with us this year I was sitting first row right by the pen and I told him congrats and welcome back and he gave me a very nice thank you. That game he hit a bomb too. Seems like a really cool guy and I'm happy for him. He's crushing. 

2 hours ago, Hubs said:

How has he been on the Cardinals for 5 years? WOW...

I don't think they trade him, but if they could get Flaherty and Goldschmidt the value there would be like 38 on BTV.

That would be like Quero, Adell, and Suarez, plus another reliever likely..

Hubs, you are adding more players to try and justify losing more prospects but the real deal is paying salary over prospects. Goldschmidt's contract reduces prospect value so you are not giving up a top prospect like Quero and taking on salary.

Quero and O'Hoppe are the best combination the Angels could ever hope for as a catching duo, it's like having Yadiar and Carter on the same team, so why flush half of that away for a year and a half of 36 year old Goldschmidt? It makes no sense. Pay the salary, keep the talent top talent. 

I was sort of browsing around the other day at where I would upgrade the offense.  

1b seemed like an obvious choice at first but they've got Drury, Thaiss, Ward and Urshela to back it up now that Walsh really does look broken.  

Another way to go would be to give Thaiss more time there and back fill with a rental at C.  

You could also add at 2b and kick rengifo to the curb with the Drury/Thaiss combo at 1b.  

17 minutes ago, Blarg said:

Hubs, you are adding more players to try and justify losing more prospects but the real deal is paying salary over prospects. Goldschmidt's contract reduces prospect value so you are not giving up a top prospect like Quero and taking on salary.

Quero and O'Hoppe are the best combination the Angels could ever hope for as a catching duo, it's like having Yadiar and Carter on the same team, so why flush half of that away for a year and a half of 36 year old Goldschmidt? It makes no sense. Pay the salary, keep the talent top talent. 

He's the reigning NL MVP. He's going to cost multiple prospects and young players. The Angels would likely insist on Flaherty (who is a free agent at years end) if they parted with any of their top 7 starters).

The only reason the Cardinals do this is to get young nearly major league ready pitching talent. They do not need to reduce salary or rebuild. They need pitching pitching and more pitching. 

The article says they want multiple top 100 prospects for him. And they presumably would play top prospect Jordan Walker at 1st, and they already have OF...so no need for Walsh. Plus they have good OF, so maybe they don't want Adell.

They have Contreras under contract so if you don't trade Quero, who do you give up? Assuming they want quantity over quality, or the other way around?

If it's just pitching I don't see how it gets done, short of sending Detmers and Adell for Goldschmidt and Flaherty. And that doesn't really do it for me. And it might cost more.

Bush, Suarez, Davidson, Sandoval for Goldy and Flaherty? 

4 minutes ago, Docwaukee said:

I was sort of browsing around the other day at where I would upgrade the offense.  

1b seemed like an obvious choice at first but they've got Drury, Thaiss, Ward and Urshela to back it up now that Walsh really does look broken.  

Another way to go would be to give Thaiss more time there and back fill with a rental at C.  

You could also add at 2b and kick rengifo to the curb with the Drury/Thaiss combo at 1b.  

It is such a luxury to have so many options this year.   Perry addressed that issue very impact fully.

5 minutes ago, Docwaukee said:

With a solid first baseman, you would have to use Drury, Rengifo, Urshela at 2nd, 3rd, and occasionally SS. With Neto getting maybe one day off a week at SS. And Rendon is getting the bulk at 3rd. Drury is also under contract next year. And while you can use Rengifo in the OF, he is redundant with Adell and Moniak here next season. 

So maybe you do the trade I mentioned and then send Rengifo to the Royals with a Prospect to get Chapman.

If St. Louis is willing to trade him and if he’s willing to waive his NTC, then you have to kick the tires with the Cards GM and see how interested he is in dealing. 

Goldy in this lineup would be an awful lot of fun to watch everyday.