• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

100 games left

Do they have a 60-40 run in them? That puts them at 92 wins, possibly enough to sneak in by WC.

I love what this team has the potential to do. But they really need to clean up the mental mistakes to pull off this type of run.

To avoid becoming sellers at the deadline I believe the Angels need to play at the very least 10 games over .500 from now until then to stay in it. Do they have it in them?

Texas only needs to go 55-47 for 95 wins. Yikes. They will surely regress, but they've put themselves in an amazing position.

Rays got in last year with 86. The Mariners got in with 90 and the Blue Jays with 92.

Doubt they have to get 92 to sneak in as the third WC...they'd be in for sure with 92.

The year before (2021) there were only two wild cards, but they were both 92 wins, 91 was next and would be the third, and the 90-72 Mariners missed the playoffs on the last day.

9 minutes ago, Halo in Chicago said:

How many more times do we have to play Houston vs how many more times do we get to play Oakland? 60-40 is a big ask. 

Six more vs both teams, equal home and road series

Remaining AL road games vs current .500 and over teams: Houston (3), Texas (7), Minnesota (3), Toronto (3), and TB (3)

Remaining NL road games vs current .500 and over teams:  Doyyers (2) and Atlanta (3)

Edited by Angel Oracle

16 hours ago, Hubs said:

Rays got in last year with 86. The Mariners got in with 90 and the Blue Jays with 92.

Doubt they have to get 92 to sneak in as the third WC...they'd be in for sure with 92.

This isn't last year - look at the standings. There are more really good teams. Some of those might come back down to earth, but I think it is going to take 90-94 wins to get a wildcard. 90 if we're lucky.

I still think this team has the potential to at least have a stronger month or two than they've played, and I maintain that as long as the Angels are within a WC spot, Arte and Perry will go for it. I've seen often that they're both among the leaders in most comeback wins this year, and have more often than not had the lead a majority of their games. There are more indicators than not that this team has underperformed. 

Neither Ohtani or Trout have really had an Ohtani or Trout like hot streak. Shohei seems to be getting there last couple of weeks. If either one of them, or both, starts firing on all cylinders this team transforms. The pen seems to be stabilizing. Drury has started to come around, Rengifo has hit well of late, Ward/Moniak are starting to work in-tandem...just need a couple of the SPs to not totally blow.

Will they ever find their groove? That's the big question. I do not think it's unrealistic that this team has a couple 25-10 or better stretches in them.

And I still think they are likelier to be early buyers than anything - they can always sell late. If they were to bring in a RP or two, maybe a Jack Flaherty or Lucas Giolito, they could still get in this.

4 minutes ago, Second Base said:

I'm so sick of hearing about the Angels "potential." Potential is supposed to be reserved for rookies and prospects, reality is big leaguers. 

Every year, the Angels have potential and every year they fall flat on their stupid faces. 

F that word. I want to win.

Maggie Smith Winner GIF by Downton Abbey

1 hour ago, Angelsjunky said:

This isn't last year - look at the standings. There are more really good teams. Some of those might come back down to earth, but I think it is going to take 90-94 wins to get a wildcard. 90 if we're lucky.

Right now, at 33-30, they are 3.5 games behind the 3rd Wild Card. If they sweep this series today, and then have a good showing against the Mariners, they'll go into the Texas series something like 36-31, or 37-30, which should get them closer to the wild cards.

Toronto (35-28) is 1.5 games back.

Division Winners = Tampa (45-19), Texas (40-21), Minnesota (31-31).

WC = Baltimore (37-24), Houston (36-26), New York (36-26).

This isn't last year - look at the standings. There are more really good teams. 

I don't think enough people realize this. The Angels are not only third in the AL West, they behind FOUR teams in the AL East: Tampa, New York, Baltimore, and Toronto. 

The Angels are better than they have been in years, but so are Texas and Baltimore, and that is making the path to the postseason more difficult than I expected it to be before the season began. 

2 minutes ago, Justin said:

I don't think enough people realize this. The Angels are not only third in the AL West, they behind FOUR teams in the AL East: Tampa, New York, Baltimore, and Toronto. 

The Angels are better than they have been in years, but so are Texas and Baltimore, and that is making the path to the postseason more difficult than I expected it to be before the season began. 

A lot can change over the course of the rest of the season.

16 minutes ago, Justin said:

This isn't last year - look at the standings. There are more really good teams. 

They all have to play each other being in the same division, so some of those teams are going to fall. 

1 minute ago, Blarg said:

They all have to play each other being in the same division, so some of those teams are going to fall. 

Yes, true, but the Angels also have to play Texas, Houston, and Seattle a lot more - and there's no guarantee that they'll do all that well.

The Angels can theoretically beat out the Red Sox and Mariners - I don't think they'll have to win 92+ games to do so. But it gets dicey once you get to Toronto and Baltimore - and they have to beat both out (or one of Tampa Bay, New York, Texas, or Houston has to collapse).

But sure, maybe the third wildcard sneaks in with 90 wins. But I think that's the bare minimum, and it might be more like 92-94.

6 minutes ago, Blarg said:

This is true, and also kinda isn't true. Since the schedule is no longer so weighted for in-division, the AL East won't have as many games to beat themselves back into ~.500 records. 
At the same time, something like 26 of the 30 teams are less than 10 GB from a WC spot. That won't realistically last...eventually some of these teams are gonna start falling out of it, and a couple more will pull further away. 

We just don't know how it'll shake out. I think Texas is legit, but there is still a ton of fragility in their rotation, and a relatively unproven bullpen and lineup. Houston's offense has been pretty bad, and their rotation has been overperforming - perhaps it maintains because they're the Astros, but I don't think they're insurmountable, and their farm has taken a hit in recent years. 

The Angels are in a good place I think. And while I don't personally think it's the right approach, Arte and Perry will have some level of urgency/desperation, and they do have some farm pieces to sell if they want. They're a little more motivated than most teams to buy big this deadline to try and sway Ohtani. If it comes to that.