• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Who are the number 5 and 6 starters in the rotation

1 hour ago, ShotimeDynasty said:

In all fairness, Phillips’ dismal 2022 resulted in the Rays cutting him. Baltimore only saw fit to get him into 8 games after signing him to a minor league deal. 

Which is actually my point. I don't think the Angels signed him with the expectation that he was going to suddenly become a great or even competent hitter. I think they signed him because of clubhouse presence (people underrate it, but it does matter), defense, and speed. All other options are mostly superfluous or inferior in whatever they bring to the table. We don't need Velazquez's defense when Fletcher basically matched him (by rate) defensively at shortstop in 2022. We don't need Adell or Moniak when it would be a) detrimental to their development to sit on the bench, and b) not an improvement over just throwing one of the two infielders who would otherwise be sitting out into the outfield for a game when one of the OF needs a day off. There's no reason to carry three catchers (Sam Blum's bizarre suggestion).

As a role player, Phillips brings multiple things to the table and his weak hitting isn't as much a negative on this time when we don't really have any other everyday bench players with no bat. Two regular, everyday infielders/outfielders will be on the bench every day. So, if we need a pinch hitter for the catcher, or want to pinch hit a righty for Walsh (or vice versa), we already have those guys available. We don't need him to be a bat. If his new approach eventually shows up, great, but that would be an extra benefit, not something we need or are counting on. 

The SP truly has improved, it wasn’t that long ago…. https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2023/03/matt-harvey-hoping-to-sign-with-mlb-club.html
Harvey’s strikeout stuff has been on the decline for pretty much his whole career. He punched out 28.6% of hitters in his debut season and that swooned to the mid-teens in recent years. Though his fastball now sits in the 89-91 mph range, he believes he’s figured out how to work with that kind of stuff.”

7 hours ago, Angels 1961 said:

Again in spring games. Maybe he ends up in rotation, but people keep saying spring stats are meaningless. Example Philips striking out over 60% of the time. I'm including game Angels played against USA team when he was 0 for 3 with 2Ks. Davidson is out of options so I'm curious to see what they do with him. 

Spring stats this year are especially questionable if not meaningless.  So many good players in WBC

Tucker Davidson has 14 strikeouts this spring:

Sam Haggerty:  .672 career OPS, .738 in 2022, 100 strikeouts in 316 career AB

AJ Pollock: .801 career OPS, .681 in 2022

Cooper Hummel:  .580 career OPS, 64 strikeouts in 176 career AB

Nick Pratto:   .657 career OPS, 66 strikeouts in 158 career AB

Johan Camargo: .723 career OPS, .613 in 2022

Kyle Isbel:  .642 career OPS, .603 in 2022, 98 strikeouts in 332 career AB

Matt Carpenter: .825 career OPS, lol at 2022, solid hitter

Tim Lopes:  .660 career OPS, .282 in... 2021, 65 strikeouts in 261 career AB

Jose Azocar:  .629 career OPS, 44 strikeouts in 202 career AB

Brandon Dixon:  .676 career OPS, .500 in 2022 (only 27 AB since 2019), 188 strikeouts in 536 career AB

Ty France: .788 career OPS, .777 in 2022, good hitter

Cal Raleigh: .708 career OPS, .774 in 2022, 

Tommy La Stella:  .736 career OPS, .632 in 2022

Cal Raleigh:  174 strikeouts in 509 career AB

I'm not buying it.  Stranger things have happened.  Strange things have happened (see Tyler Anderson).  I just dont think 10 innings this spring has earned him anything.

Edited by ScottT

On 3/16/2023 at 4:55 PM, Pancake Bear said:

Which is actually my point. I don't think the Angels signed him with the expectation that he was going to suddenly become a great or even competent hitter. I think they signed him because of clubhouse presence (people underrate it, but it does matter), defense, and speed. All other options are mostly superfluous or inferior in whatever they bring to the table. We don't need Velazquez's defense when Fletcher basically matched him (by rate) defensively at shortstop in 2022. We don't need Adell or Moniak when it would be a) detrimental to their development to sit on the bench, and b) not an improvement over just throwing one of the two infielders who would otherwise be sitting out into the outfield for a game when one of the OF needs a day off. There's no reason to carry three catchers (Sam Blum's bizarre suggestion).

As a role player, Phillips brings multiple things to the table and his weak hitting isn't as much a negative on this time when we don't really have any other everyday bench players with no bat. Two regular, everyday infielders/outfielders will be on the bench every day. So, if we need a pinch hitter for the catcher, or want to pinch hit a righty for Walsh (or vice versa), we already have those guys available. We don't need him to be a bat. If his new approach eventually shows up, great, but that would be an extra benefit, not something we need or are counting on. 

I pretty much agree with all of this. It’s feasible he could be a role payer that sees less than 20 meaningful PAs all season and still provides value with his baserunning and defense.