• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Who are the number 5 and 6 starters in the rotation

Ohtani,Sandoval,Anderson,Demers are the first four but after that we have Suarez,Davidson,Silseth and Canning. With Davidson out of options and pitching well in ST he gets one spot and I would pick Silseth for final spot at least until Canning gets a little more work in Salt Lake. Suarez just hasn't earned a spot in the rotation maybe he goes to the BP or Salt Lake just not sure about him.

• angels1963 changed the title to Who are the number 5 and 6 starters in the rotation

We may not know until week 3.  We have 3 off days so we won't absolutely need our 6th guy until then.  Since we have to keep them stretched out they ALL very well could be starting the season in the minors.  Since Davidson is out of options, we just might see Suarez, Silseth and Canning sent down.  This also opens up a spot for Joyce if we want to see what he can do early on.

15 minutes ago, Taylor said:

I think Saurez gets the 5 spot and Canning gets the 6 spot.

Probably have to trade Davidson if Canning wins the 6th spot......I could see Canning being sent to SLC to get some innings under his belt....he needs some work, been on the shelf a long time....

3 hours ago, Revad said:

Ohtani, Sandoval, Detmers, Anderson, Suarez and Davidson.  Davidson may pitch some out of the pen as well.  First up is Canning.

This. Silseth is still raw, and is best sent to the minors for half a season or so. Davidson has pitched really well this spring, well enough to make him worth keeping, so they'll want him on the roster.

I think they want to get Canning a bit more innings before putting him in the rotation.

Regardless, I like the rotation depth. Suarez, Davidson, Canning, and Silseth are a solid group to have for the #5-8 slots.

Not sure what to expect from Anderson, definitely reassured by this opinion from Ben Clemens:  “The high-level view is simply this: he was good last year in a way that doesn’t look particularly unsustainable to me. I don’t think he has another 4-WAR season in him, but I’m also higher than our projection systems. I think he’s a perfectly acceptable choice to follow Ohtani in the Angels’ rotation, and if they make a playoff push, I expect Anderson to be right in the middle of it.”

I think Clemens is saying he’s a #2?

https://blogs.fangraphs.com/four-player-crushes-of-mine/

10 hours ago, Angel Oracle said:

Sorry, but Sandoval and Detmers will be better than Anderson.

That said, he’s the best #4 starter the Halos will have in years.

Agree with this. I’d say Sandoval & Detmers have a good shot at posting 4+ WAR seasons, while hoping Anderson can settle in around 3.0. Suarez has to be the favorite for SP5, but I wouldn’t rule out a Davidson leapfrog, simply because Suarez has already shown to be so effective out of the pen. Give him 15 starts and 20 relief appearances? Contingent upon Davidson sustaining his stellar spring of course.

My predicted GS and fWAR totals for Angels starters:

Ohtani: 28 gs, 5.9 WAR (last year: 28, 5.6)

Sandoval: 28 gs, 4.3 WAR (last year: 27, 3.8)

Detmers: 27 gs, 3.7 WAR (last year: 25, 2.3)

Anderson: 28 gs, 2.6 WAR (last year: 28, 4.0)

Suarez: 23 gs, 2.3 WAR (last year: 20 gs, 1.6)

Davidson: 11 gs, 0.6 WAR(last year: 8 gs, -0.4)

Silseth: 9 gs, 0.7 WAR (last year: 7 gs, -0.2)

Canning: 8 gs, 0.8 WAR (last year: NA)

Chances are that at least one of the top four gets hurt, so add starts to the bottom three. But assuming health, that's about how I see it unfolding. It is weird writing the above, though, because I fully expect Silseth and Canning to get 10+ starts, maybe 15-18. But that pretty much has to come from injury.

And of course probably about a dozen starts end up going to guys not on that list - be it C-Rod's triumphant return, Daniel finally getting a shot, Bush, etc.

Edited by Angelsjunky

9 hours ago, Pancake Bear said:

Suarez is indisputably #5. Last spot is still up for grabs, but it's probably between Davidson and Canning, with an outside shot for Silseth or Barria. Most likely at this point is Davidson, I think, unless they really want a RHP.

Davidson has had a nice ST but those stats in spring are meaningless. ERA of over 6.5 last year.

2 hours ago, Angels 1961 said:

Davidson has had a nice ST but those stats in spring are meaningless. ERA of over 6.5 last year.

You're right. Davidson's ST are meaningless, because we can see who he was last year. Just like Phillips' ST are meaningless because we can see who he was last year, which is why there is no chance of him being cut or sent down. 

Hey, I don't make the rules. I'm just following yours. 😂

Suarez is the 5th.  That's not even a question.  

Davidson is the 6th for a few reasons.  He likely would have been anyway due to his lack of options, but he's earned it.  Plus, Canning has been out for a long time.  Need to keep him in a controlled environment for awhile as he builds up his stamina.  I also feel better about Davidson making the occasional relief appearance right now than Canning.  Can't have Griff up/down/up/down.  Routine is key for him right now.  

I'm more curious about who's gonna grab that last roster spot.  Kinda digging Matt Thaiss right now.  

4 hours ago, Pancake Bear said:

You're right. Davidson's ST are meaningless, because we can see who he was last year. Just like Phillips' ST are meaningless because we can see who he was last year, which is why there is no chance of him being cut or sent down. 

Hey, I don't make the rules. I'm just following yours. 😂

In all fairness, Phillips’ dismal 2022 resulted in the Rays cutting him. Baltimore only saw fit to get him into 8 games after signing him to a minor league deal. 

6 hours ago, Angels 1961 said:

Gotta understand there’s a difference between evaluating a player’s performance in Spring vs leaning on Spring stats to make roster decisions. Davidson has added a new pitch which has dynamically increased his effectiveness. 

Again in spring games. Maybe he ends up in rotation, but people keep saying spring stats are meaningless. Example Philips striking out over 60% of the time. I'm including game Angels played against USA team when he was 0 for 3 with 2Ks. Davidson is out of options so I'm curious to see what they do with him.