• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Angels sign Brett Phillips (1 year, $1.2 million), DFA Austin Warren

mmc

23 minutes ago, Docwaukee said:

I would have hoped for someone a bit better with the stick.  Maybe this is a paired move to keep the team below the threshold when they sign a P.  

Ditto.  I don't like the move but I don't hate it.  The single most amazing thing about Bret Phillips career is that despite owning a career .188/.273/.348 batting line he's never posted a negative fWAR.  He needs to get his walk rate back over 10% this season, but at least when he's in the field he can make plays.  But the best part of this is that it hopefully allows for them to keep Adell in AAA to work on things.

10 minutes ago, Jay said:

So what I'm hearing is, he's really good but we hope he doesn't play much.

Yup, lol.  But more specifically, he does provide good value in terms of being a late inning defensive replacement and pinch runner.  He is by far better defensively than anyone else that can play OF on this team.

Just now, Warfarin said:

Interesting to see Warren DFA'd.  The FO must prefer Marte over him.  And Stefanic, for that matter.  I thought Warren had some more potential, but it appears the FO disagrees.

Might be health concerns 

13 minutes ago, Inside Pitch said:

Ditto.  I don't like the move but I don't hate it.  The single most amazing thing about Bret Phillips career is that despite owning a career .188/.273/.348 batting line he's never posted a negative fWAR.  He needs to get his walk rate back over 10% this season, but at least when he's in the field he can make plays.  But the best part of this is that it hopefully allows for them to keep Adell in AAA to work on things.

And perhaps Moniak as well.  Both he and Adell need everyday at bats if they have any chance at at a future.  

Another tidbit on phillips - He was shifted on 106 of the 107 PA he put the ball in play.  And he was 0 fer last year in his 34 abs vs. lefties.  He's 8 for 110 his last two years vs. LHers.  

He's not gonna turn into a .280 hitter or anything, but there's some opportunity to improve him a bit.  

The year before vs. RHers, his slash was .244/.337/.533 with a wRC+ of 138.   I'll take that all day.  

Again, I'm ok with it as long as it allows for another move.  

18 minutes ago, Docwaukee said:

And perhaps Moniak as well.  Both he and Adell need everyday at bats if they have any chance at at a future.  

Another tidbit on phillips - He was shifted on 106 of the 107 PA he put the ball in play.  And he was 0 fer last year in his 34 abs vs. lefties.  He's 8 for 110 his last two years vs. LHers.  

He's not gonna turn into a .280 hitter or anything, but there's some opportunity to improve him a bit.  

The year before vs. RHers, his slash was .244/.337/.533 with a wRC+ of 138.   I'll take that all day.  

Again, I'm ok with it as long as it allows for another move.  

I think that's the case.

It appears we are likely aiming to stay below the LT limit.  There is not too much money left to spend, which means they had to find OF depth fairly cheaply.

Phillips, even in an absolutely dreadful offensive year, still registered a positive value per Fangraphs because of how great his defense is, as well as his speed.  He has a cannon for an arm and will be a fantastic defensive replacement late in games.

The rest of the money can now be spent on pitching.

2 hours ago, wopphil said:

I would have preferred an option with more upside, as I am guessing Moniak can perform as well as this guy. But he is costing barely more than league minimum, so no real risk here. 

Adell and Moniak are the upside options.

They probably wanted more of a "floor" option, since they have upside options already.

Moniak's performance in 2022 showed you that he can't perform as well as Phillips.

Phillips being left-handed and a good defender actually fits quite well with the current constructs of the Angels roster.

If one of Ward/Trout/Renfroe needs a day off...

vs. a RHP: they could start Philllips (he has been near league-average against RHP)

vs. a LHP: they could put an infielder in the OF and use Phillips as a defensive replacement.

Or they could even put an infielder in the OF and use Phillips as a defensive replacement vs. RHP as well, when one of Ward/Trout/Renfroe needs a day off.

2 hours ago, Don said:

This is one of those terrifying signings only because I can see our org talking themselves in to letting this guy start games consistently if we get bitten by the injury bug. This signing is fine if he's a late inning defensive replacement, or starts every week or two. Anything more than that and this dude is a burden.

With three starting outfielders and Adell/Moniak behind them and in need of everyday playing time, I don't think Phillips is gonna start games consistently.

I agree that the concern would be if he's overused, but I don't think they'll overuse him.

He is the kind of player Maddon would overuse, since he's good defensively and has good vibes. Hopefully Nevin, with the front office's input, will use him properly.

3 hours ago, Don said:

This is one of those terrifying signings only because I can see our org talking themselves in to letting this guy start games consistently if we get bitten by the injury bug. This signing is fine if he's a late inning defensive replacement, or starts every week or two. Anything more than that and this dude is a burden.

That's my fear. That he'll be the guy who keeps getting ABs into July despite hitting below the Mendoza line.