• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Are you ready for Ohtani to be baseball's first Half a Billion Dollar Man?

Angelsjunky

6 hours ago, AngelsLakersFan said:

I hate to be the Debbie Downer but you know that Manfred and the league absolutely hate guys like Seidler. Same reason they wouldn't let Mark Cuban buy a team. And who was the guy that put up a stink about Cohen buying the Mets? Arte Moreno. Arte is the guy with the hard line attitude against the MLBPA and who doesn't think his staff should be paid if they aren't producing...

So who is the guy who selects the next owner of the Angels? Arte... let's hope that his greed wins out.

my very first sentence was that seidler let the cat out of the bag for mlb. does that sound like something manfred would like?

12 hours ago, AngelsLakersFan said:

I hate to be the Debbie Downer but you know that Manfred and the league absolutely hate guys like Seidler. Same reason they wouldn't let Mark Cuban buy a team. And who was the guy that put up a stink about Cohen buying the Mets? Arte Moreno. Arte is the guy with the hard line attitude against the MLBPA and who doesn't think his staff should be paid if they aren't producing...

So who is the guy who selects the next owner of the Angels? Arte... let's hope that his greed wins out.

I'm pretty confident that it will.  I don't really see him as a guy who will want to pick an owner who is most similar to him "for the future of the game."  He will likely pick whomever makes the highest offer and can follow through with that offer.

I'm fairly optimistic though that whoever it is will spend a lot of money on the team.  No one is buying a 3 billion dollar franchise, in a great location, and suddenly start "going cheap."

I think Arte spent pretty well, compared to his peers, in the beginning years, at least from what I can recall.  He has not kept up, though, especially on all the important aspects of an MLB franchise (i.e. investing in the player development infrastructure), and he now pails in comparison to many.

So again - the hope is whomever takes over will toss a lot of money around to help ensure the team's organizational health.  It would seem likely - again, someone spending 3 billion will likely not operate cheaply.  We likely aren't going to get a Steve Cohen situation, where we see the payroll shoot up to like 400 million, but I think we should likely see a pretty good bump to .. 250?  Maybe 300 if we are super lucky?  But more than that, I would think the new owner would appreciate the "small" investment it will ultimately take to build up our player development infrastructure, and that is probably where the biggest difference will be made.

The Mets are fun to watch now in terms of talent assimilation, but let's remember that the Rays, Guardians, and other teams still remain highly competitive, despite an otherwise very modest payroll.