• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Angels were outbid by the Cardinals for C Willson Contreras

BTH

9 hours ago, Docwaukee said:

My first thought was that he got something wrong and we weren't involved.  

But if true is nice to see they're still willing to spend.  I'm a little puzzled at the choice of player but my guess is that he would have been a part time catcher.  

Perry really does love his catchers though.   

Goold is a very good reporter.

There’s no need to put in that info if it isn’t true. So the fact that he put it in must mean he got it on good authority.

It does, indeed, appear they are willing to spend--in the right situation.

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2022/12/angels-pursued-willson-contreras-prior-to-cardinals-deal.html

"Contreras ended up signing a five-year, $87.5MM deal, with comes to an average annual value of $17.5MM. We don’t know exactly how much the Angels were willing to spend on Contreras, but something in this vicinity would have gotten them close to luxury tax territory. Assuming the Angels still have that money to spend on other players, it’s a good sign for Angel fans. The club could look for another backstop but have also been connected to shortstops and bullpen help. Since Contreras was clearly on a different tier to the other available free agent backstops, it’s possible that the Angels were willing to make an exception for him and won’t necessarily circle down to the other options. However, if they are interested in pursuing help behind the plate, the free agent market has options like Christian Vázquez and Gary Sánchez. The trade market is highlighted by Oakland’s Sean Murphy and Toronto’s Danny Jansen, though the asking prices on from both the A’s and the Jays are reportedly quite high."

3 minutes ago, Stradling said:

I wonder if we would kick the tires on a trade for Salvador Perez and send back either Fletcher and his money or Stassi and his money.  Or both.

I am assuming it would take more than Fletcher and Stassi to get him...he is still a good player....

3 minutes ago, Stradling said:

Yes but $21 million a season. 

True...and he still has 3 years plus an option year.....pretty steep, even if he is a good player.....but the more money they take back (Fletcher, Stassi), the better a prospect we would probably need to include...