• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Official 2022-23 Offseason Hot Stove Thread

mmc

7 hours ago, Docwaukee said:

the problem is that they'd have to have a really good reason to trade him.  I don't know why they'd sign Bell only to dump payroll.  And he'd be a pretty sought after piece for someone.  I could see them wanting Neto and Perry telling them to go pound sand.  

w/r to Neto.. it sounds like you're in desperate need to see an opthomologist. Perry can hold on his sand pounding activities, as well. The Guardians would not be asking for Neto.  That is, unless significant other players and/or prospects were added from the Cleveland side, which is highly unlikely.. 

Even then.. probably not..

This is a simple one for one type deal that moves Rosario w/ his salary and returns value.. The Guardians are looking for an LHP &/or a deep C prospect. In addition to a strong group of ML ready starters, the Guardians have four middle infielders, all on major league minimum contracts that can play the spot. 

Reasonable?

Here's to hoping the Angels sign Eovaldi and sign a good SS this week.

I'm growing some concern that they might be doing what I thought was going to happen with the impending sale of the team: A GAP YEAR. 

It's interesting that the Angels were willing to spend big on someone like Contreras. Have to imagine they have interest on Eovaldi who should command roughly the same AAV.

I wonder how Ohtani feels

Edited by angelsnationtalk

8 minutes ago, angelsnationtalk said:

Here's to hoping the Angels sign Eovaldi and sign a good SS this week.

I'm growing some concern that this might be doing what I thought was going to happen with the impending sale of the team: A GAP YEAR. 

It's interesting that the Angels were willing to spend big on someone like Contreras. Have to imagine they have interest on Eovaldi who should command roughly the same AAV.

I wonder how Ohtani feels

To be fair, I think if you polled the majority of Angels fans, most would have thought Arte would have gone cheap this offseason, not signed anyone of note, and then sold the team and handed it off to the next owner.

It appears he has just "stayed the course" with his usual way of operations - increased the payroll, but not extremely so.  This is probably more than what most would have expected.  It always seemed rather far-fetched that he would suddenly decide to spend huge amounts on his way out.  I'm pleased with what has transpired, and expect to see a few more moves to finish off the offseason.  It is not a "dream" offseason, but it is better than what I thought - enough for this team to probably be a fringe wild card contender.  Hopefully the new owner will spend significantly thereafter, and we can then elevate ourselves from fringe contender to legit WS contender in future offseasons.

I understand the concern about Ohtani, but in truth, perhaps our greatest shot at retaining Ohtani has come to fruition - an ownership sale.  Hopefully the new owner can have a direct meeting with him, explain their vision and their intent to heavily invest in the team, and that (along with an enormous contract) will be enough to get Ohtani to stay and not take his services up the I-5.

8 minutes ago, Warfarin said:

To be fair, I think if you polled the majority of Angels fans, most would have thought Arte would have gone cheap this offseason, not signed anyone of note, and then sold the team and handed it off to the next owner.

It appears he has just "stayed the course" with his usual way of operations - increased the payroll, but not extremely so.  This is probably more than what most would have expected.  It always seemed rather far-fetched that he would suddenly decide to spend huge amounts on his way out.  I'm pleased with what has transpired, and expect to see a few more moves to finish off the offseason.  It is not a "dream" offseason, but it is better than what I thought - enough for this team to probably be a fringe wild card contender.  Hopefully the new owner will spend significantly thereafter, and we can then elevate ourselves from fringe contender to legit WS contender in future offseasons.

Good point. I do agree the Angels are spending more and it's shocking, honestly. 
But in terms of talent, we're still a third place team in the division and as much as I love Perry's ability to swing good trades and start building a farm system, there's still a missing link to taking this team over the top. 

Maybe he's not done. Maybe we will be blown away by seeing Eovaldi, a bullpen arm and a trade for a solid SS to get us competitive. 

I don't want Minasian to be fired after this season, but i'd like to see a President of Baseball Ops to really handle bigger names should the Angels be interested in them.

The bar has been set so low around here. 

Arte has stayed the course. Slapped a few band-aids on a couple of positions and hope for some magical turn around. 

I also wouldn’t expect the new owners to come in and immediately start spending either. They’ll probably try to retain Ohtani (hopefully dealt at deadline) but I think the spending will start the year after. 

Since we’re going the band-aid route I do hope we end up with Segura. Clubhouse chemistry yada yada, the best thing for clubhouse chemistry is winning and at this point he’s the best remaining player to help achieve that

9 hours ago, GeronimoSon said:

Not a lot.. or it should not be. 

Disagree. He is a good player. He had a great season last year, is young, and doesn’t cost much. Assuming he stays healthy, he is a likely QO candidate. Realistically, I think he costs something like Bush and Paris to acquire. Or maybe Bush and one of the lower level, but more highly regarded MI guys in our system. 

1 hour ago, CanadianHalo said:

The bar has been set so low around here. 

Arte has stayed the course. Slapped a few band-aids on a couple of positions and hope for some magical turn around. 

I also wouldn’t expect the new owners to come in and immediately start spending either. They’ll probably try to retain Ohtani (hopefully dealt at deadline) but I think the spending will start the year after. 

Since we’re going the band-aid route I do hope we end up with Segura. Clubhouse chemistry yada yada, the best thing for clubhouse chemistry is winning and at this point he’s the best remaining player to help achieve that

Why?  The Guggenheim group and Cohen most certainly did.  I think whatever the new owner intends (spend a lot or be cheap) will likely be apparent from the beginning.  Why would the new ownership group start slowly, then ramp up?  

37 minutes ago, Angels 1961 said:

Competition for SS will be intense with so many teams involved. It's a seller's market. Halos may end going with what they have.

The acquisition cost is too high for SS, and we’re fine defensively.  Just a black hole offensively if it’s Fletcher/Velazquez/Soto.  Get a bat first 4th outfielder to make up for it, and if Rengifo continues to develop it should work well enough.

20 minutes ago, Revad said:

The acquisition cost is too high for SS, and we’re fine defensively.  Just a black hole offensively if it’s Fletcher/Velazquez/Soto.  Get a bat first 4th outfielder to make up for it, and if Rengifo continues to develop it should work well enough.

Entering the offseason, I felt the middle infield situation certainly could use an upgrade, but I was okay if they didn't as long as they upgraded other parts of the team.  I still think they need at least one depth piece, such that Velazquez is pushed further away from having to play in the majors.  If they opt not to upgrade the middle infield, then I do hope they get another SP, a reliever, and look for a decent 4th OF candidate.  If they, say, get one of Hill/Lugo, a reliever like Knebel, and some 4th OF that can at least be serviceable, I think that would be a decent outcome.

Acquiring someone like Hill would at least make Silseth/Canning/etc as depth to start the season, instead of having to rely on one of them to fill the 6th rotation spot right off the bat.

Another reliever would certainly be helpful and improve the depth of the pen.  I do think Joyce will probably be promoted fairly early-ish in the year, in that he was deemed someone who could basically be promoted almost immediately after being drafted.  I think our pen will be better than the projection systems currently indicate.

22 minutes ago, Revad said:

Return of a healthy and productive Rendon could be huge

3 minutes ago, Warfarin said:

Entering the offseason, I felt the middle infield situation certainly could use an upgrade, but I was okay if they didn't as long as they upgraded other parts of the team.  I still think they need at least one depth piece, such that Velazquez is pushed further away from having to play in the majors.  If they opt not to upgrade the middle infield, then I do hope they get another SP, a reliever, and look for a decent 4th OF candidate.  If they, say, get one of Hill/Lugo, a reliever like Knebel, and some 4th OF that can at least be serviceable, I think that would be a decent outcome.

Acquiring someone like Hill would at least make Silseth/Canning/etc as depth to start the season, instead of having to rely on one of them to fill the 6th rotation spot right off the bat.

Another reliever would certainly be helpful and improve the depth of the pen.  I do think Joyce will probably be promoted fairly early-ish in the year, in that he was deemed someone who could basically be promoted almost immediately after being drafted.  I think our pen will be better than the projection systems currently indicate.

Band-aid of Andrus I hope is not in the works. If trade comes, I hope it's for player that has chance to be here for few years.