• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Official 2022-23 Offseason Hot Stove Thread

mmc

Heard the Angels are talking to Corey Knebel and Seth Lugo. Also in talks with the Rays about some of their relievers. 

I wonder if we could expand a deal with the Rays for Curtis Mead who could play 2B and let Rengifo/Fletcher get time at SS until Neto is ready. 

Mead has a really good bat and profiles better at 2B than 3B. 

4 hours ago, wopphil said:

I am surprised with how quiet Perry has been the last two weeks. He can’t be finished - this team is improved, but not enough. 

Part of this is probably due to the market at the position he is looking to upgrade.  Given we were likely never players for the top 4 SSs, that means our route of improvement would be the trade market, but the trade market was likely waiting for the 4 SSs to sign first.  For example, Crawford was likely not a trade option, but now that they have signed Correa, he probably is.

Perry has already aggressively addressed multiple spots (SP, OF, key corner IF depth, BP).  I would be very surprised if he is done.  Sometimes, you just have to wait a bit for the market to materialize and move.

1 minute ago, Chuckster70 said:

Heard the Angels are talking to Corey Knebel and Seth Lugo. Also in talks with the Rays about some of their relievers. 

I wonder if we could expand a deal with the Rays for Curtis Mead who could play 2B and let Rengifo/Fletcher get time at SS until Neto is ready. 

I hope you are not referencing the Lion dude, as that is what he said 😉 

21 minutes ago, Angel Oracle said:

What is your order of importance in upgrading?

6th starter, 4th OF, set up man, SS

SS and 4th OF are my biggest priorities.  6th SP is a distant 3rd.  I think the BP can be cobbled together rather easily from the variety of the names that are out there.

9 minutes ago, Chuckster70 said:

Mead would cost a bunch

2 minutes ago, angelsnationtalk said:

Mead would cost a bunch

Honestly none of us know how much a prospect/player is worth in terms of what you'd need to give up in a deal. 

Mead is either a fringe 2B or 1B based on his arm and he's not going to hit for a ton of power, but he could reach 20-25 HR's in a season with a good BA/OBP. 

"Chris Bassitt, the Jays now project to cross the luxury-tax threshold for the first time; Roster Resource pegs them at just over $234MM — a bit more than $1MM north of the $233MM cutoff point. Certainly there are ways for Toronto to duck back beneath the barrier if required — a trade of catcher Danny Jansen, for instance, would clear his projected $3.7MM salary and bring back help in other areas of need — but there’s no indication that ownership has placed given the front office any such mandates."

Maybe Perry trades for him since they were after a catcher and got outbid. Of course, if the Blue Jays ownership doesn't care about the tax then Jansen isn't being traded.

6 minutes ago, beatlesrule said:

"Chris Bassitt, the Jays now project to cross the luxury-tax threshold for the first time; Roster Resource pegs them at just over $234MM — a bit more than $1MM north of the $233MM cutoff point. Certainly there are ways for Toronto to duck back beneath the barrier if required — a trade of catcher Danny Jansen, for instance, would clear his projected $3.7MM salary and bring back help in other areas of need — but there’s no indication that ownership has placed given the front office any such mandates."

Maybe Perry trades for him since they were after a catcher and got outbid. Of course, if the Blue Jays ownership doesn't care about the tax then Jansen isn't being traded.

A $200k tax must look pretty scary to the second richest MLB owner worth over $11.5B.

1 hour ago, Chuckster70 said:

I’d be cool with Knebel or Lugo.

The Rays have already cleared out a chunk of their relievers, so I’m not sure how many more they’d be willing to deal.

I don’t think the Rays have interest in dealing Mead.

But the Rays do have a couple true shortstop options that could be interesting in Vidal Brújan and Taylor Walls.

Both were top 100 prospects who’ve had no MLB success, which has dropped their value. It’d be a buy low opportunity, although it makes you wonder if the Rays (who like to sell high) would sell low.

13 minutes ago, beatlesrule said:

That would be a significant upgrade for us.  No clue if he’s actually available, but that would be a significant positional upgrade