• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Angels Breakout Player of 2022

Swordsman78

Who is your 2022 Los Angeles Angels Breakout Player of the Year?  

29 members have voted

1. 1. Who is your 2022 Los Angeles Angels Breakout Player of the Year?

• Luis Rengifo: .273/.303/.443 15 HR, 47 RBI, 1.8 WAR, 109 +wRC (116 games)
    • Taylor Ward: .274/.357/.460 21 HR, 60 RBI, 3.2 WAR, 133 +wRC (124 games)
    • Patrick Sandoval: 3.01 ERA, 1.35 WHIP, 9.24 K/9, .247 BAA (25 starts)
    • Reid Detmers: 3.71 ERA, 1.20 WHIP, 8.39 K/9, .225 BAA (23 games)
    • Jimmy Herget: 2.37 ERA, 0.93 WHIP, 8.49 K/9, 6 Holds, 6 Saves, .197 BAA (45 games)

59 minutes ago, Blarg said:

Platooning Adell and pulling him after every 3rd at bat, even doing something as stupid as pinch running for him, that's what makes me want to kick Nevin in the nuts. There is no good reason to put in a "defensive replacement" in the 6th inning. 

Ford is a complete roster space waste. Yes, put Ward at first. He reminds a bit of Steve Garvey, that all of his movement looks a little robotic and yet it can still work at a position that doesn't require a lot of range. 

This is a good observation.  Nevin's tendency is to let guys "work through things"   such as hitters slumping or not pulling pitchers mid inning.   However with Defense he seems to pull the trigger much more quickly. 

I do like how Nevin has the Angels competing to win every game. Some will like that mindset and prefer it to using September as tryouts for 2023.

All in all, Nevin judgement calls have been correct more often than not, and he's pretty much eeked out as many wins as possible given what he's had to work with.

It's difficult to say. 

Sandoval's WHIP suggests there's been some fortune on his side. He's probably more of a "three and a half" ERA type of starter. 

Detmers' numbers are hampered by a rough stretch he had before remaking his slider and curve, and his WHIP suggests he might actually be better than his overall numbers. He too mighty be more of a three and a half ERA starter.

Rengifo's minor league breakout happened four years ago. He's supposed to be a high OBP, low power, solid speed and glove player. Instead, his K/BB rate has flipped and the muscle he's put on has helped mold him into a low OBP, solid power hitter. It's hard to know what to do with that.. But he's only 25, so maybe I'm a couple years the OBP will improve. In the end, he's probably a .280/.320 20 HR hitter, which is definitely worthy of being a starter.

Ward was supposed to be a low end regular. And he's developed into an above average regular, but some of those numbers are bouyed by his ridiculously hot start. In reality, he's probably more of a .250/.330 20 HR hitter. 

On 9/24/2022 at 1:39 PM, Blarg said:

Nevin is 9-11 in September. I'm not sure what you're definition of winning is but 9-11 is more of a tragedy reminder than anything else. 

As mentioned in the previous post the Angels are 14-12 in the last 26 games which is a larger sample size.  But you know that and just chose to be a negative nancy.  I get that.   But by all means, Go right ahead and ride your agenda no matter how shallow it is. 

Maybe a majority on another board might buy it, but prolly not this one.

20 hours ago, jsnpritchett said:

I think the Marlins would probably want a lot more than Ward for Chisholm.  They're both controllable through 2026, but Chisholm is the more exciting, younger player who's exactly the type of guy the Marlins should probably be building around, rather than trading away.

Yes the Marlins would want more, which is why I said if Ward was in that trade. From the outside it looks like the team and the player are at odds. It could just be him and Mattingly. 

15 minutes ago, Stradling said:

Yes the Marlins would want more, which is why I said if Ward was in that trade. From the outside it looks like the team and the player are at odds. It could just be him and Mattingly. 

Well, Mattingly just announced he's not coming back next year--so problem solved? Ha.

17 hours ago, Fish Oil said:

To me, the definition of "breakout player" would include something about unexpected. If a young player had a good 2021 it's not unexpected for them to have a better 2022.
I'll go with Rengifo and Detmers.

This is one of those times were different perspectives see things differently. 

Rengifo to me was a breakout candidate BECAUSE his minor league success argued he was better than he had shown.   I always view guys with good peripherals and bad results as breakout candidates.

18 hours ago, Swordsman78 said:

As mentioned in the previous post the Angels are 14-12 in the last 26 games which is a larger sample side.  But you know that and just chose to be a negative nancy.  I get that.   But by all means, Go right ahead and ride your agenda no matter how shallow it is. 

Maybe a majority on another board might buy it, but prolly not this one.

Agenda? 

June 10-18

July 6-18

August 14-15

September 9-12

That is a losing record every damn month he has managed. There is no cherry picking a small sample size that is relevant like you seem to think. He is 39-57 for his season. That is historically bad for the franchise. 

Hey, but at least he gets 50% of his replay challenges correct. 

52 minutes ago, Stradling said:

Bingo -- Mattingly was always telling the kid to keep his head down and act like he's done it before..  One of the funniest back and forth moments between them came when he did something, Mattingly kind of gave him the look ... after the game the kid said something like, I know I got rowdy but I had never done that before in a game and I was feeling it..   

Mattingly did not comment.   

38 minutes ago, jsnpritchett said:

Well, Mattingly just announced he's not coming back next year--so problem solved? Ha.

LOL..  I was coming here to say the same thing -- the Marlins chose the player today!

33 minutes ago, Blarg said:

Agenda? 

June 10-18

July 6-18

August 14-15

September 9-12

That is a losing record every damn month he has managed. There is no cherry picking a small sample size that is relevant like you seem to think. He is 39-57 for his season. That is historically bad for the franchise. 

Hey, but at least he gets 50% of his replay challenges correct. 

I respect that you are holding the Angels accountable for their win loss record.  We all should and do.

Very few people on this site are defending Joe Maddon and the culture he brought with him.  Such as bases loaded intentional walks. 

Nevin is trying to change that culture and it’s not as easy as switching a light on.

The important metrics when making a sudden change aren’t 16-36 in June/July, (which had mitigating factors) but do we like the things related to changing the Culture such as:

Letting pitchers figure things out and work through thei jams more often than not.

Competing every day with maximum effort and intent to win even though. It doesn’t matter regarding a playoff spot.

Being positive and encouraging in public assessment but holding players accountable in private.

Not backing down or allowing a team to try and intimidate your guys.

Protecting your players.

It takes time to transform a culture of losing and and not caring.

I’m picking Ward.

At the beginning of spring training in 2021, I posted that he wouldn’t be on the team a year later. He didn’t seem to have a position, and he wasn’t doing much of anything with the bat. 

Fast forward 18 months and this guy has done a solid job of making himself a useful everyday player. I’m glad to have been wrong about him.

• Chuck featured this topic