• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

The race to a top 5 draft pick(Gameday thread) Angels @ Braves Detmers pitching 10:35 A.M start

6 hours ago, beatlesrule said:

Aside from the fact that a lot of players either don't know how to bunt or aren't good at it, I've heard players say they would rather go 2-4 with a double or potential HR than go 4-4 with all bunt singles.

I guarantee that if you bunt against the shift 4 times in a row they won't shift the fifth AB.

1 minute ago, Ace-Of-Diamonds said:

I guarantee that if you bunt against the shift 4 times in a row they won't shift the fifth AB.

I’m not so sure that’s true. If they shift four straight times it implies no one on base and if so no one on second base for sure. If they did it four times and you bunted all four times they seem perfectly fine giving you the single and pitching to the next guy. Batting averages are very low, strike outs are very high, and action plays are non existent. Which means it takes three hits to score a guy.  Teams and pitching will force you to get those three hits. 

4 minutes ago, Stradling said:

I’m not so sure that’s true. If they shift four straight times it implies no one on base and if so no one on second base for sure. If they did it four times and you bunted all four times they seem perfectly fine giving you the single and pitching to the next guy. Batting averages are very low, strike outs are very high, and action plays are non existent. Which means it takes three hits to score a guy.  Teams and pitching will force you to get those three hits. 

My bad I meant the same player bunts 3 or more times in a row they will eventually not shift on him. That would work for the rest of this season but next year hopefully the shift is history...

Let’s hope the shift is history after this season.   

While it is true that hitting the ball to all fields is the solution, not every player is that kind of hitter.

These shifts have seemingly gotten so extreme with how deep one of the infielders plays, basically a 4th OF like a rover in softball leagues.

2 minutes ago, arch stanton said:

The 50-50 assumes contact nd a fair ball so it’s probably a 35ish % chance of actually working and pretty much 0 chance it’s more than  one base

So would you like to edit your 50/50 post to reflect your new position of 35/65?

35/65 is a .700 OPS, which is what Jared Walsh's current OPS is.

19 minutes ago, AngelsLakersFan said:

So would you like to edit your 50/50 post to reflect your new position of 35/65?

35/65 is a .700 OPS, which is what Jared Walsh's current OPS is.

Let's just keep this going and we'll get to the bottom of why they don't do it. The 35-65 is with the one fielder on the left side and he's in the SS spot. If he moves towards third it makes the bunt almost worthless and still doesn't alter the right side of the shift. And 700 OPS is the best possible outcome. Is that worth it?

12 minutes ago, arch stanton said:

Let's just keep this going and we'll get to the bottom of why they don't do it. The 35-65 is with the one fielder on the left side and he's in the SS spot. If he moves towards third it makes the bunt almost worthless and still doesn't alter the right side of the shift. And 700 OPS is the best possible outcome. Is that worth it?

Well it depends on the hitter. That said, getting the third basemen to abandon the SS position and play a shallow 3B is a pretty big win.