• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Who the Angels can trade for value

High Value

Ohtani- it would be a gutsy trade, one that would bring back a large return. Ohtani is the most interesting player in baseball, but one year away from free agency and I think it would be fair to describe him as at least a minimal injury risk, trading him is a possibility. 

Sandoval-being inexpensive I doubt Angels consider trading him but Sandoval has a ton of value, great trade by Eppler. 

Medium Value

Trout-Despite being the GOAT, his salary limits what teams would trade for him. Considering the fan backlash and the reality of what the Marlins got for Stanton, trading Trout seems unlikely. 

Noah-Hopefully he continues to pitch well and remains healthy. Angels should net a decent return for Noah as he seems the most obvious trade candidate. 

Low value 

Lorenzen, Loup, Tepera, Duffy, Stassi, Iglesias, Quijada could all theoretically net some kind of a return varying on how the next month goes, but each player has health, performance, or contract concerns. 

In other words for me, not only do we suck, but are pretty limited on trading players to get better. 

Edited by Erstad Grit

Lol at trading Ohtani, only the Mets and Dodgers can realistically extend him. No team is gonna offer a huge haul for a rental. Betts, Lindor, Scherzer/Turner fetched 1-2 decent players but no future Soto’s or Tatis’s.

Perry is fighting for his job. If he’s not fired this off-season he’s going to need to make the playoffs next year or he’s a lame duck/goner. He’s going to be adding talent to win now not trading it away for average replacement level “depth”.

Teams aren’t really trading away 5WAR+ potential prospects anymore for superstars, they’re just giving bodies or surplus depth away.

10 minutes ago, IheartLA said:

Lol at trading Ohtani, only the Mets and Dodgers can realistically extend him. No team is gonna offer a huge haul for a rental. Betts, Lindor, Scherzer/Turner fetched 1-2 decent players but no future Soto’s or Tatis’s.

Perry is fighting for his job. If he’s not fired this off-season he’s going to need to make the playoffs next year or he’s a lame duck/goner. He’s going to be adding talent to win now not trading it away for average replacement level “depth”.

Teams aren’t really trading away 5WAR+ potential prospects anymore for superstars, they’re just giving bodies or surplus depth away.

Win what now? Catch Texas for 3rd place in the West?

Trading Trout would be insane. I can't believe fans mention it so often. He's still the best player in baseball and has been the face of the franchise and MLB for the past decade. We still have him locked up for almost another decade and that's a lot of time for this team to potentially have a window of opportunity or two to contend. Wishful thinking? Okay fine. I still don't want to trade the best player in baseball because I love watching him play and he means so much to this team.

Sandoval? Untouchable, at least to this team. Starting pitching is STILL a weak point for us and he's inexpensive top of the rotation material for us for a couple more years.

Ohtani you can make a great argument for trading, but again we're talking about a new MLB icon here and trading him would tilt A LOT of fans. You'd better make sure the return is AMAZING and not just a few Jo Adell's.

Syngergaard yeah send it.

They should focus on fixing their attitude and losing culture more than trading any of these players.

The culture is what's really lacking. The black hole bottoms have no fire in their step. Even Trout looks deflated playing along side these ham m eggers. Ohtani the only one showing any fire, and he's as nice as they come. Need a few Odor types on this team to ruffle feathers in the trenches. Look at his reaction off that base hit with 2 outs, thats what the halos need. Team looks like a bunch of dads at a beer league wanting to get it over with to go hit up Shakey's.

35 minutes ago, Anthony Tendon said:

The culture is what's really lacking. The black hole bottoms have no fire in their step. Even Trout looks deflated playing along side these ham m eggers. Ohtani the only one showing any fire, and he's as nice as they come. Need a few Odor types on this team to ruffle feathers in the trenches. Look at his reaction off that base hit with 2 outs, thats what the halos need. Team looks like a bunch of dads at a beer league wanting to get it over with to go hit up Shakey's.

Solid Bobby Heenan reference.  I would have also accepted an insult to Big Bossman's mom.

5 hours ago, IheartLA said:

Ohtani has quite a bit of trade value if you trade him at this deadline you’d get a pretty great return. They aren’t trading him but he’s got a lot of value. Also most big market, even mid market teams can add $40 million in payroll especially when you add what he brings to the team from a marketing stand point. 

7 hours ago, Erstad Grit said:

High Value

Ohtani- it would be a gutsy trade, one that would bring back a large return. Ohtani is the most interesting player in baseball, but one year away from free agency and I think it would be fair to describe him as at least a minimal injury risk, trading him is a possibility. 

Sandoval-being inexpensive I doubt Angels consider trading him but Sandival has a ton of value, great trade by Eppler. 

Medium Value

Trout-Despite being the GOAT, his salary limits what teams would trade for him. Considering the fan backlash and the reality of what the Marlins got for Stanton, trading Trout seems unlikely. 

Noah-Hopefully he continues to pitch well and remains healthy. Angels should net a decent return for Noah as he seems the most obvious trade candidate. 

Low value 

Lorenzen, Loup, Tepera, Duffy, Stassi, Iglesias, Quijada could all theoretically net some kind of a return varying on how the next month goes, but each player has health, performance, or contract concerns. 

In other words for me, not only do we suck, but are pretty limited on trading players to get better. 

Left out Barria

5 hours ago, IheartLA said:

I think SF and maybe SD and watch out for young rising team in Seattle. I think all these teams could sign him.

Have to remember that it’s year 2 after returning from TJS, where generally the velocity gets to its’ high point.

Syndergaard is sitting in the mid 90s with a solid GB rate.

Imagining him adding another 1-2mph, and it’s very tempting to not only get Ohtani a new contract, but also Syndergaard as well.

Maybe 3 years/$60 million, team option 4th season?    
Only age 30 next season 

They will free up payroll from Upton, Lorenzen, and Bradley.  That’s some $32 million AAV, putting it down to $175 million AAV, some $60 million AAV under tax threshold.

Syndergaard’s AAV would stay similar to this season.

Ohtani, let’s’ say will make $40 million AAV.   That’s what, $34 million AAV over current AAV.

That leaves $26 million AAV.

Three arb cases this off-season should add no more than $10-12 million?

Leaving some $15 million AAV to work with?

Just please, no more big contracts to outside FAs, and no more yearly salaries of over $4-$5 million for late innings relievers.   Just develop their own relievers.

Edited by Angel Oracle

I am frustrated for sure but I might think about trading Iglesias if you could move most of his contract. Or get a good prospect if you eat some of his money. I know, who then is your closer…but it’s not early anymore (thought he would straighten himself out like last year) and he is pretty bad…Probably an over reaction to last night.

28 minutes ago, tdawg87 said:

We'll trade Syndergaard and do nothing else. We're never fully sellers and I assume Arte has something to do with that.

I wouldn't bet on Syndergaard going anywhere....it has the same feel as last year with Iglesias....that may be too broad a brush though....

37 minutes ago, tdawg87 said:

We'll trade Syndergaard and do nothing else. We're never fully sellers and I assume Arte has something to do with that.

What are halos going to sell? Even Syndergaard will back little with money left for this year. Unless halos go full rebuild trad Ward, Walsh or Sandoval they have nothing of value. Nobody is taking on Iggys monery. Same wioth Loup or Tepera. Angels wait till off season and need a rebuild plan. Only way to fix this mess after 7 straight losing seasons. There is no easy fix. Teams like Baltimore and Detroit are better than halos. Seattle has put together a decent team that will be playing meaningful games after all star break.

8 minutes ago, Angels 1961 said:

What are halos going to sell? Even Syndergaard will back little with money left for this year. Unless halos go full rebuild trad Ward, Walsh or Sandoval they have nothing of value. Nobody is taking on Iggys monery. Same wioth Loup or Tepera. Angels wait till off season and need a rebuild plan. Only way to fix this mess after 7 straight losing seasons. There is no easy fix. Teams like Baltimore and Detroit are better than halos. Seattle has put together a decent team that will be playing meaningful games after all star break.

You're being very Canadian with the whole rebuild thing.

From MLBTR top 50 trade candidates

21. Noah Syndergaard, RHP, Angels:

Although the 29-year-old Syndergaard hasn’t at all resembled the flamethrowing strikeout machine was early in his career — this year’s average fastball velocity of 94.6 mph is down a whopping five miles from its 99.6 mph peak in 2017 — he’s still been a solid member of the Anaheim rotation. Through 13 starts, “Thor” has logged 70 1/3 innings of 3.84 ERA ball with a career-low 18.8% strikeout rate but a 5.5% walk rate that is in line with his outstanding career levels. The salary is rather steep for this version of Syndergaard, but if the Angels can’t turn things around, he could still help a contender’s rotation — and the Angels could enhance their return by covering some of the bill.

Contractual status: $21MM salary, free agent at season’s end

A long read but:  https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2022/07/top-50-trade-mlb-trade-candidates.html

Bethancourt and his .2 bWAR got traded so Andrew Vela with his .6 bWAR could be traded too. Like history has shown us though, the Angels won't be doing any major trading away of their players. Most of us are aware of how delusional Moreno is and he will either add to the team or stand pat.

I think any team with quality a quality scouting department, a successful player development department and an organizational infrastructure to support both will look at the Angels like a garage sale.  Lots of good player opportunities at low prices because the seller has no idea what they have or how to use them.