• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Taylor Blake Ward Q&A 4-5pm PST

Chuck

6 hours ago, Stradling said:

Do you see the Angels going after anything specific this year in the draft?  Obviously last year they went pitching, prior to that they would always say “Best Player Available”.  

Everything I've heard is pitching with two or three college position players mentioned more as alternatives if they drop in the draft or they aren't overly comfortable with the college arms.

Have you heard any buzz on who they are looking at with their top pick? 

I have but buzz a month before the draft is purely speculative based on who is where (GM, Scouting Director at game and/or player working out near stadiums). I believe Gabriel Hughes and Connor Hjerpe are the most likely targets at this moment with over a month before the draft.

6 hours ago, Taylor said:

Will the team's performance this season have any bearing on who they target in the draft?

I doubt it. Perry Minasian, Tom McIlvaine, and Matt Swanson have been around too long to not live by the "you don't draft for need." That said, I could see a power relief type being taken in the third round that the club hopes could jump into a low-leverage role in September (i.e. Ben Joyce). If you do draft for need it's more of a tie-breaker of "we have less catching" or "we have less pitching" or what not, so if they do go "for need" it would be more based on organization depth.

Is this draft heavy on any specific position?  Most of what I see on twitter looks like it is pitcher heavy, but that could simply be my feed.  

Bats, mostly prep bats. Angels might actually be the first team to take an arm (though that seems to be changing day-to-day) and they pick 13

Would Ben Joyce be a reach with the 13th pick?  Also is he a guy that could be in a mlb bullpen this year?  I am not advocating this pick, but 103 mph is just ridiculous.  

It'd be a massive reach. Most scouts are talking about him in the third-to-fourth round range but it wouldn't stun me if a contending team nabbed him in the second for a late playoff push. You're right though. That kind of velocity is beyond rare and a commodity that any team would hope to have.