• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Ward may not be able to field for a bit, what do we do at DH?

mmc

• mmc changed the title to Ward may not be able to field for a bit, what do we do at DH?
1 minute ago, Halo in Chicago said:

Keep throwing weak hitting infielders out there and making sure we rest at least one of our better healthy players daily and bat Duffy cleanup as much as possible?

This is why I sometimes call Maddon the Maddoning scientist.

Weak hitting INF (Wade) playing the OF.  At least Velazquez’ bat has surfaced the past 47 PAs (.808 OPS).

If this were fantasy baseball, I'd bench Ohtani and play Ward, as Ward > Ohtani, at least this year. But given that it isn't fantasy baseball, I don't expect that to happen. 

That said, I see no reason why they can't give Ohtani a night or two off - he's only missed one game. On nights that he doesn't start, can pinch-hit, just to get some swings in, and because it will be really nice to have him come in during a late/close situation rather than Duffy/Rengifo/Velazquez/Wade.

I am worried that he's going to completely lose his rhythm. This will be the first real test to see how legit his breakthough is. Obviously he won't continue at this pace, but the concern is that he's been riding a wave and that wave just broke. He could get in a long funk and have a hard to re-finding the mental space he's been in. Baseball is funny that way.

2 minutes ago, TroutField said:

See what KC will take for Benintendi. Ideal guy to fill in as the 3rd/4th outfielder and start when Ward can’t go. (Dude seems to be made out of glass) 

That's actually not a bad idea, especially considering that Benintendi is a free agent and could probably be had for relatively cheap. Baseball Trade Simulator gives him a value of 4.2. Similar Angels include:

Arol Vera 4.7

Jordyn Adams 4.5

Austin Warren 4.2

Ky Bush 3.9

Adrian Placencia 3.7

I think they'd take any of the above except Warren and possibly Placencia. Adams makes a certain amount of sense - he becomes their project, and we get a more reliable outfield option. They could throw in a fringy pitching prospect to sweeten the deal.

Here's what I think they should do:

- Add a 4th OF to the roster (Lagares, Sierra, or Thomas)

- Keep Ward on the roster and use him as a pinch hitter.

- Give Ward a start at DH and let Ohtani rest vs. a LHP. Toronto is gonna have two LHP's (Ryu and Kikuchi) starting in the upcoming series against the Angels.

Lots of creativity in these posts. 

-You can try Ward at 1B since his throws will be minimal, yet more frequent and Walsh can play RF. 

I think the most likely course of action here is that he gets a cortisone shot to decrease inflammation and hits the IL to let it rest and recover. Follow that up with a rigorous stretching program similar to Marsh and voila, Ward is back in two weeks, and healthy. 

1 hour ago, Angel Oracle said:

Wade should have had the 3rd out in the 9th.   Ball in the glove and comes out

Lagares has to be close to ready?

Should never have Wade in RF in the 9th.

Lagares would be an excellent defensive replacement for a short period.  I don't think it was so bad that Wade didn't make that play, that ball was scorched, and Wade made a great effort using his speed.  It was ruled a hit.  I blame it on another poor outing by Loop.  Loop kind of worries me at the moment.

7 hours ago, Angels 1961 said:

Solution Ohtani to RF

Two years ago, nobody thought Ohtani doing what he is was realistic.    It's not gonna happen, especially with Adell around, but who thinks Ohtani couldn't pull it off?

Edited by ScottT

7 hours ago, tomsred said:

Lagares would be an excellent defensive replacement for a short period.  I don't think it was so bad that Wade didn't make that play, that ball was scorched, and Wade made a great effort using his speed.  It was ruled a hit.  I blame it on another poor outing by Loop.  Loop kind of worries me at the moment.

Loup could end up out of the loop in late inn.

On 5/24/2022 at 10:19 PM, Trendon said:

Here's what I think they should do:

- Add a 4th OF to the roster (Lagares, Sierra, or Thomas)

- Keep Ward on the roster and use him as a pinch hitter.

- Give Ward a start at DH and let Ohtani rest vs. a LHP. Toronto is gonna have two LHP's (Ryu and Kikuchi) starting in the upcoming series against the Angels.

That’s cool how you added someone to the roster without taking anyone off. 

Ryu is a tough lefty.

Give Ohtani the night off from DHing and focus on pitching tonight.

Ward DHs tonight!

If the offense looks good, give Ohtani another game off from DHing when Kikuchi pitches and give Ward another DH start.

Hope Ward is back in RF after the Jays series?

Edited by Angel Oracle

51 minutes ago, Angel Oracle said:

Ryu is a tough lefty.

Give Ohtani the night off from DHing and focus on pitching tonight.

Ward DHs tonight!

If the offense looks good, give Ohtani another game off from DHing when Kikuchi pitches and give Ward another DH start.

Hope Ward is back in RF after the Jays series?

Far too reasonable of an approach for the Angels, that’s what they should do.  Now turn it around and predict what they will do.  Like nothing.