• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Ken Rosenthal thinks Minasian will be aggressive at the deadline

mmc

I would expect Minasian to be resourceful and aggressive but also smart and restrained.  I am sure he recognizes the farm system is starting to percolate but is not incredibly deep just yet.

Teams usually need 4 reliable SPs for the playoffs, with 2 dominant ones at the front.  With Ohtani and Syndergaard, arguably we already have that, and Sandoval adds a strong third piece.  

I think what this team could use (like most others) is another solid reliever or two, along with likely a useful bench piece OR a middle infielder, depending on how our current options pan out.

6 minutes ago, Warfarin said:

I would expect Minasian to be resourceful and aggressive but also smart and restrained.  I am sure he recognizes the farm system is starting to percolate but is not incredibly deep just yet.

Teams usually need 4 reliable SPs for the playoffs, with 2 dominant ones at the front.  With Ohtani and Syndergaard, arguably we already have that, and Sandoval adds a strong third piece.  

I think what this team could use (like most others) is another solid reliever or two, along with likely a useful bench piece OR a middle infielder, depending on how our current options pan out.

I would agree. It wouldn’t need to be anything splashy, just a few pieces to supplement what is already working. I like where the team is overall. As always, health will be most important.

1 hour ago, mmc said:

"Perhaps the Angels will not need any of their starters to pitch 165 innings. But they could use a veteran stabilizer, not to mention other pieces. General manager Perry Minasian, aggressive by nature, will be busy come July, if not sooner. No time to wait."

From the article:

"In spring training, after I wrote that I sort of liked the Angels, a rival executive texted me with a question.  “Besides (Shohei) Ohtani,” the executive said, “who is the one Angels SP that you are certain of (throwing) 165 IP in 2022?”

How long after contacting Rosenthal do you think it took Dipoto to call Lookout Landing?

As always, a lot depends on how things shake out over the next month or two. Especially, in rough order of importance and relevance to the deadline (and ignoring possible injuries):

1. How will the starters perform, including whether or not Lorenzen or Detmers can emerge as a good 4th best starter, and who will emerge as the 6th starter?

2. How will SS/2B pan out? Specifically, can Velazquez continue to hit and bring his BA over the Mendoza Line, and will anyone emerge as a capable 2B?

3. Will Brandon Marsh become more consistent, rather than looking great for two or three games and then horrible for a week?

And bonus concern:

4. Will the bullpen settle down and stop giving up so many HR? (Right now they're 5th worst in the majors, with a 1.19 HR/9 IP rate).

So depending upon how those questions are answered will determine what Minasian does in mid-to-late July. Again, assuming generally good health.

Just curious how you guys would prioritize deadline buying?  For me it's probably in this order.

1. Elite bat

2. Bullpen

3. Dependable veteran depth starter

4. Another MIF

5. An upgrade at backup catcher

45 minutes ago, mmc said:

Just curious how you guys would prioritize deadline buying?  For me it's probably in this order.

1. Elite bat

2. Bullpen

3. Dependable veteran depth starter

4. Another MIF

5. An upgrade at backup catcher

I'd say an elite SP, but I don't think I'd want to pay the cost of what that would be.

I think this team is strong enough to reach the playoffs.  IMO, you ride your depth TO the playoffs, but then you ride your star power IN the playoffs.  I.e. - our 6th SP, middle relievers, etc will all play key roles in helping us win enough games to get in.  But once we're in the playoffs, as we've seen from other teams, you ride your several top pitchers and star position players in an attempt to win it all.

Ohtani is certainly a stud SP, and Syndergaard could be if he reverts to form.  It'll be interesting to see if Sandoval can become a stud 3rd SP and be a legit weapon in the playoffs.

I'd very much like another shutdown reliever, and in turn, have Loup and Tepera become more like the 6th/7th inning options, with the other stud reliever as our 8th inning option (and of course, Iglesias at 9th).

So I guess I'd say:  elite SP, bullpen, another MIF, another SP, catching backup.  Don't think we need (or can fit?) another elite bat.

The Reds are basically sellers right now. 

Like I said, I believe Mahle is a good buy-low candidate. He's under contract through next year. I'd definitely go after him.

Castillo is great but that's going to be a tougher trade to make. I don't think it's wise to trade Adell, regardless of the current status of the team.

2 hours ago, Warfarin said:

If we did acquire another starter, Lorenzen and Suarez could both be useful playoff pieces in the pen. Not sure yet if that would be the best use of resources or not, tbh. I'm agnostic until we get closer to the deadline and have a clearer picture.

100% agree, though, that we need a good balance on aggressive, yet smart. We can't afford to go all in unless Minasian is dumb enough to think this year is our only window of contention. At the same time, Trout and Rendon are in their thirties and Ohtani is only under contract this year and next. 

16 minutes ago, HeavenlyHalos said:

Winning the division likely means we get one of the two byes which would be huge. Notable additions would probably be required in order to do so with the way the Astros are pitching this year.

Yes, I agree it would be huge.  That said, I am personally reluctant to trade significant prospects at this point.  

Boegarts was mentioned in another thread, and I feel he may  be a decent option to trade for, for a couple reasons:

1.  He will be viewed as an expiring contract, which means that his cost will be cheaper

2. Most contenders are absolutely stacked at SS and don't need one, which means less trading competition.  The Yankees are one of the few who could use an upgrade, but I highly doubt the Red Sox will trade with the Yankees lol.

Any SP that is viewed as a top end SP will likely cost more than we can afford to part with.