• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Ken Rosenthal thinks Minasian will be aggressive at the deadline

mmc

1 hour ago, mmc said:

Just curious how you guys would prioritize deadline buying?  For me it's probably in this order.

1. Elite bat

2. Bullpen

3. Dependable veteran depth starter

4. Another MIF

5. An upgrade at backup catcher

I will correct your little spelling errors in my response.

Minansian probably wants “Another MILF” while Arte wants an “Elite boat.”

8 minutes ago, Erstad Grit said:

Yes but Dodgers, Giants, and Padres are all-in. It's a terrible time for AZ to hang onto an ace with no playoff hopes. 

Arizona can't just think about this year. He's an ace that is under club control until 2026.

1 hour ago, Warfarin said:

I'd say an elite SP, but I don't think I'd want to pay the cost of what that would be.

I think this team is strong enough to reach the playoffs.  IMO, you ride your depth TO the playoffs, but then you ride your star power IN the playoffs.  I.e. - our 6th SP, middle relievers, etc will all play key roles in helping us win enough games to get in.  But once we're in the playoffs, as we've seen from other teams, you ride your several top pitchers and star position players in an attempt to win it all.

Ohtani is certainly a stud SP, and Syndergaard could be if he reverts to form.  It'll be interesting to see if Sandoval can become a stud 3rd SP and be a legit weapon in the playoffs.

I'd very much like another shutdown reliever, and in turn, have Loup and Tepera become more like the 6th/7th inning options, with the other stud reliever as our 8th inning option (and of course, Iglesias at 9th).

So I guess I'd say:  elite SP, bullpen, another MIF, another SP, catching backup.  Don't think we need (or can fit?) another elite bat.

Unless we can somehow get Xander Boegarts.

2 hours ago, mmc said:

Just curious how you guys would prioritize deadline buying?

It's probably too early to have a wish list, things can change so much between now and the deadline.

If they want an elite bat where do they play him?  The OF is set, 1B is set and cost controlled.  3B is "cost controlled".  DH is occupied.   So it's really only possible at SS or 2B other than maybe C where a Contreras would be an elite "catcher's" bat.

SP?  If the intent is to up your chances then I guess a veteran guy could help, particularly if the last two guys are still unsettled, but otherwise you're looking to add someone better than the current top three which may not be that easy and would likely be costly.

Im sure the Angels biggest areas of need will change multiple times between now and June when it will become easier to speculate who will be available and what the teams biggest weaknesses are.

For me.... It's always about run prevention.

Gallen would cost Marsh and Detmers at this point.  At least that's what I'd ask for if I were AZ.  They're half game out of the WC.  And their offense has been atrocious.  

bad teams who are out at this point are only going to trade good players if they're not under control for an extended period.  The extra playoff spots have changed the landscape.  

On a go forward, you better get your team together during the off season because if you rely on the deadline to make deals, you're gonna get raked over the coals due to increased demand and less supply.  

Improved MIF and pen depth would be my priorities as of right now. 

The one nice thing about a 6 man rotation is that you can make it a 5 man rotation any time you want.  If each of our best SP have to pitch an extra game in sept to secure a WC or even the division, then so be it.  They should be well rested enough.  Can't imagine one of our SP is going to have more than 150-160 innings.  That's how you solve SP in August and sept.  Instead of wrecking your already weak farm for 8 starts.  

Ohtani, Syndergaard, Lorenzen, Sandoval and Detmers can each give you one more a month.  That's about 12 innings added to their total for Aug/Sept.  A couple of really good pen arms to supplement is fine enough for me.   Even one.  

And one more thing.  Give Rengifo or Stefanic as many PA as possible right now so you know what you've got by July 31st.   Wade is probably playing a bit over his head with a .688 ops.  He's got 3 steals in 6 attempts and plays solid defense.  Has a .354 BABIP and bunts half the time.  He's the exact guy you want coming off your bench in the later innings as a speed option to pinch run and as a defensive replacement.  

I am impressed alot now with Josh Bell 1B / OF 29 yo currently with Nationals and should be available.  Former Power Bat 37 HR 116 RBI Season in 2019 who has adjusted his Game to be more of a contact hitter currently batting .342.  Keep a lookout replaces Justin Upton Switch hitter better as LH.

18 hours ago, mmc said:

Just curious how you guys would prioritize deadline buying?  For me it's probably in this order.

1. Elite bat

2. Bullpen

3. Dependable veteran depth starter

4. Another MIF

5. An upgrade at backup catcher

Agreed on the order - at least in a vacuum, one more elite bat (looking high OBP over power, though both is obviously nice) could make an already productive lineup even more dangerous.  Of course, questions about where do they play, what do we lose, who gives up ab's, and how to obtain are important questions - thus "in a vacuum."

The real elite bat we need is Rendon's.  

I think by the ASB, perhaps another reliever - this seems like something we can solve internally, tbh.

But I think Bard and Jansen will be available,  if we want to go all in on someone more experienced (and both Jansen and Iglesias at the end of games is a pretty appealing thing.)

As for a veteran SP, imo, the time to get that was in the offseason, when Cobb, Rodon, and Ray were available 😕