• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Fangraphs - Jo Adell talks hitting

1 minute ago, Stradling said:

Another nerdy hobby of mine is to travel around the country maintaining a fleet of these:

3B9F37CA-DA60-43D9-8AEA-4389403183FD.jpeg

It’s always good to be passionate about your work—I think that’s awesome.

Are those only available in states with INO locations? I’d imagine so. I hope the East Coast (and Wisconsin) never get an INO.

4 minutes ago, failos said:

It’s always good to be passionate about your work—I think that’s awesome.

Are those only available in states with INO locations? I’d imagine so. I hope the East Coast (and Wisconsin) never get an INO.

Across the country was an exaggeration.  We are in So Cal, Colorado Springs, Dallas and soon Vegas. 

Geez, some of you are as full of it as Adell. First, it isn't even Blum's article. Second, he accurately summarizes what Adell said.

And despite Adell saying it's a normal assignment and essentially acting as if he has nothing to work on, he's delusional, and the article says as much. His defense is a disaster in left. He said his demotion was out of nowhere, but he literally just missed a catch with a 90% catch probability the day before. He's bleeding runs in left. While his wRC+ isn't terrible, his BB and K rates are horrific. He doesn't seem to think any of that is an issue or needs to be worked on. That's what's most disturbing to me. 

1 minute ago, Pancake Bear said:

Geez, some of you are as full of it as Adell. First, it isn't even Blum's article. Second, he accurately summarizes what Adell said.

And despite Adell saying it's a normal assignment and essentially acting as if he has nothing to work on, he's delusional, and the article says as much. His defense is a disaster in left. He said his demotion was out of nowhere, but he literally just missed a catch with a 90% catch probability the day before. He's bleeding runs in left. While his wRC+ isn't terrible, his BB and K rates are horrific. He doesn't seem to think any of that is an issue or needs to be worked on. That's what's most disturbing to me. 

Nobody said it was Blum’s article.

I bet you take the manager’s comments seriously, too.

4 hours ago, Pancake Bear said:

This is my issue with Adell. It's like it doesn't register with him that he's one of the worst left fielders in baseball and his K rate and lack of consistency in hitting isn't forcing us to keep him up and play him despite that. These things are obvious to literally everyone who watches him. But Adell? "Adell said his demotion came out of nowhere" and he "was shocked". 🤦🏻‍♂️

Adell should be pissed being sent down. If he was happy, something would be wrong. 

jo adell has come across pretty poorly to me on the topic of what he has to learn to develop. he kind of acts like he's an all star mlb'er. i'm kind of off his band wagon now. the atrocious, and i mean atrocious, defense is a deal breaker for me.

Adell is only 23.  Sometimes, people mature at different rates.  Two years ago, he was considered a consensus top 5 prospect in the sport.  He has since struggled and things have not quite yet panned out.  I would read this as him being frustrated, but fortunately for him, he does have a lot of time to turn things around.

That said, plate discipline and a strong batting eye are not as easy to improve significantly, and that is an area he needs a LOT of work.  Again though, he does have time, and given the strength of our OF currently, we are in position to give him all that time.

On 5/5/2022 at 11:05 PM, Angelsjunky said:

https://blogs.fangraphs.com/an-angel-with-a-high-ceiling-jo-adell-is-a-lower-half-hitter/

On one hand, he sounds like a smart kid. On the other, he sounds a bit stubborn - too much of "I'm just doing my thing, have been playing baseball all my life", etc. Still, interesting to hear him talk about the mechanics of it.

lt must tuff watching Ward eat your breakfast

2 hours ago, Warfarin said:

Adell is only 23.  Sometimes, people mature at different rates.  Two years ago, he was considered a consensus top 5 prospect in the sport.  He has since struggled and things have not quite yet panned out.  I would read this as him being frustrated, but fortunately for him, he does have a lot of time to turn things around.

That said, plate discipline and a strong batting eye are not as easy to improve significantly, and that is an area he needs a LOT of work.  Again though, he does have time, and given the strength of our OF currently, we are in position to give him all that time.

I think he has loads of potential, but he definitely has things he needs to work on. Unfortunately, we can't really keep him in the minors too long and we don't really have room for him in the majors. I don't really want to trade him because we'd be selling dirt cheap. If we could get a good return on him, I'd be okay moving him, but I don't see anyone sending anything substantial back. 

Just now, Pancake Bear said:

I think he has loads of potential, but he definitely has things he needs to work on. Unfortunately, we can't really keep him in the minors too long and we don't really have room for him in the majors. I don't really want to trade him because we'd be selling dirt cheap. If we could get a good return on him, I'd be okay moving him, but I don't see anyone sending anything substantial back. 

I agree.  I would not want to trade him at this point.  I think he does need a LOT of work.  Still, you don't give up on players with this level of talent at this age.  Keep him in AAA and have him continue to work on his defense and plate discipline.  Players click at all sorts of different ages.  Look at Ward - a replacement level player for multiple years, and now suddenly, a top player in the game at age 28.

It's possible that Adell flames out and amounts to nothing, but it is way too soon to give up on him.  I do hope that they keep him in the minors for awhile and only recall him when they truly feel he is ready.  I don't think going back and forth between AAA and the MLB would be ideal for him at this point.

Let us say he figures out plate discipline and pitch recognition and becomes a MLB hitter. Those are things he can work on and improved on. He has above average power. But he still cant shag a flyball. He has been playing baseball his whole life and he cant catch anything but a routine flyball. I would hope they have checked his eyes and he has worked on depth perception drills. He needs to be shagging flyballs every day during BP but I don't think he gets it. Maybe he thinks he is too good to be out there shagging during BP. Or we buy him a first baseman's glove. Not saying 1st base is easy or we need one but I don't see him playing outfield in the ML any time soon. 

I also never thought Ward was going to make it. I was wrong. But Ward is different. He is humble and super hard working. He has changed his swing twice and appears he has found one that works. Adell comes off a little deserving like he has already arrived. I hope I am wrong and he is busting his ass and doing everything he can to better himself so he can get back to playing MLB. That being said, I think there is a better chance of him being a bust. Attitude matters and this is not the right one, Adell said his demotion "came out of nowhere" and he doesn't know what it will take to get called back up/what is left to show.    

EVERYONE who has ever watched him play the outfield knows why he's not here. Everyone except him, I guess. If he was even a 3 on a scale of 1-10 defensive outfielder, he'd be with the big club right now. There's 90 starting outfielders in MLB. I don't know if he's the worst defensively. I'll leave that up to advance scouts who evaluate that for a living, but it wouldn't surprise me at all if he is. With Ohtani here, he can't DH unless there's an injury. There's no way he's going to start ahead of Ward, or Marsh unless they start hitting like Velazquez & Fletcher. So, where does it benefit him, or the team, to have him sitting on the bench. Improve your defense & pitch selection, and force the Angels' hand. If they don't have a spot, someone else will make them an offer they can't turn down.