• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Fangraphs - Jo Adell talks hitting

Is Jo Adell going to be the next Jim Edmonds and become a star on the team he is traded to or the next Kaleb Cowart a player the Angels did not trade and never develops to the star we thought he could be? Both Adell and Edmonds has/had attitude issues.

20 minutes ago, Stax said:

Is Jo Adell going to be the next Jim Edmonds and become a star on the team he is traded to or the next Kaleb Cowart a player the Angels did not trade and never develops to the star we thought he could be? Both Adell and Edmonds has/had attitude issues.

Edmonds was a star player on the Angels and batted .291/.359/.498/.856. He was traded because of a team meltdown and a club president that was an idiot. 

Adell drew 4 walks tonight for Salt Lake. He's obviously working on his plate discipline. It wasn't like the Las Vegas pitchers were wild tonight. Only one other Salt Lake hitter drew a walk. In 3 games there, he's also got 3 doubles, 2 home runs and has scored 6 runs. To me, the walks are more significant to his eventually being a star at the major league level. Everyone already knows he's got power. Obviously, you can't tell how he's playing the outfield from a box score though.

4 hours ago, gurn67 said:

Adell drew 4 walks tonight for Salt Lake. He's obviously working on his plate discipline. It wasn't like the Las Vegas pitchers were wild tonight. Only one other Salt Lake hitter drew a walk. In 3 games there, he's also got 3 doubles, 2 home runs and has scored 6 runs. To me, the walks are more significant to his eventually being a star at the major league level. Everyone already knows he's got power. Obviously, you can't tell how he's playing the outfield from a box score though.

The walks are more encouraging to me than the HRs, etc.  That's fantastic to see.  

He's only 23, and he's got too much talent to trade away at this point unless the Angels are absolutely overwhelmed by an offer. We all know Trout's injury history, and Ward's already been injured twice this year. Marsh wasn't exactly the Iron Man during his minor league days either.

Sorry in advance.

I mean you can't really think the portraying of the article is Sam Blum's fault. Like not with actually reading through it. The headline of the SL Trib article, written by somebody else, says, "Jo Adell surprised to be sent down." Then there's a quote that says

“It kind of came out of nowhere,” Adell said, noting there were no conversations prior to his demotion.
“When you don’t play every day you kind of wonder what is going on. But I didn’t see it happening. I did the best I could. I contributed and helped us win games.”

Any writer whose job it is to report would take that away from the article. That's the biggest takeaway I had after reading it on my own. That Adell doesn't really get it. Nobody was surprised he got sent down on merit, they were surprised that the Angels were willing to do it.

Adell's defense has been among the worst in the league (1st percentile in Jump, 2nd percentile in Outs Above Average), as has been his BB% (1 walk). His K% was bottom 3 percentile. His swing and miss is bottom 10 in the league also. He has 2 very, very specific things to work on: his OF defense and his plate discipline. His exit Velo was top 10 in the league. His barrel % is really high. But he is getting annihilated on 4-seamers and sinkers for some reason, and crushing sliders and changeups. That's weird, but he has struggled with the fastball since 2020. It means he's chasing out of the zone or not anticipating pitches well. He's sitting slider constantly, perhaps because he thinks that other pitchers think he can't hit them. And they are blowing FBs right by him. This is a flaw in his mental approach. And, Law is 100% correct. These defensive flaws never showed up in the minors. Nothing close to this. And it's been happening for 3 years now--simple mistakes, bad reads, bad jumps, and bad routes. Not a word was spoken of this early on. It showed up when he got to the majors. This is also a mental flaw. So he has mental things to work on that the Angels clearly feel can only be fixed through reps. So they want him to work on his mental approach to defense and his pitch anticipation/feel for the zone by playing every day. And I hope he figures it out.