• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

How long a leash does Velasquez have?

floplag

20 hours ago, Stradling said:

On a team that lacks defense he should start virtually everyday.  We have the bats to support his awful bat, but we don’t have the defense to support his replacement defensively.  

Doesn't that assume his replacement is deficient though?  By all accounts Wade is not a poor defensive SS. Nor is Fletcher potentially.  No, neither has the same glove AV has, but they arent stone hands either.  It isnt binary, its a matter of degrees.  Were not talking about putting Stefanic there for example which i would agree. 

1 minute ago, floplag said:

Doesn't that assume his replacement is deficient though?  By all accounts Wade is not a poor defensive SS. Nor is Fletcher potentially.  No, neither has the same glove AV has, but they arent stone hands either.  It isnt binary, its a matter of degrees.  Were not talking about putting Stefanic there for example which i would agree. 

I think we're doing just fine with Velazquez in the lineup. 

Yeah, he needs to improve. You can't have a .125 hitter in the lineup, regardless of his defense. But if he hits just .200 I think it's absolutely worth it for him to be the everyday shortstop.

Run prevention is so much more important than people think. Defense is a part of pitching, and this team needs all the defense it can get. 

1 hour ago, floplag said:

I was simply responding to the question asked.  I’ll answer it this way to clear up how I feel about him.  His glove is so good right now, that on this team, he should play every day.  We have enough bats, but we don’t have enough above average defenders.  I think we have 4 above average (Velazquez, Fletcher, Rendon and Marsh) and then 4 average, Trout, Walsh, Stassi and Ward.

2 hours ago, tdawg87 said:

I think we're doing just fine with Velazquez in the lineup. 

Yeah, he needs to improve. You can't have a .125 hitter in the lineup, regardless of his defense. But if he hits just .200 I think it's absolutely worth it for him to be the everyday shortstop.

Run prevention is so much more important than people think. Defense is a part of pitching, and this team needs all the defense it can get. 

I would agree with this, but right now he is hitting 128, thus the question. 

36 minutes ago, Stradling said:

I was simply responding to the question asked.  I’ll answer it this way to clear up how I feel about him.  His glove is so good right now, that on this team, he should play every day.  We have enough bats, but we don’t have enough above average defenders.  I think we have 4 above average (Velazquez, Fletcher, Rendon and Marsh) and then 4 average, Trout, Walsh, Stassi and Ward.

At some point though you create a handicap match and give away too many outs.
If he can hit the Mendoza line, im with hit, but 128 is hard to absorb. 

I don’t mind at all having a defense first shortstop.

But I am never really going to be satisfied with a defense only shortstop.

Yes if the team is consistently winning then I can acknowledge the team may not “need” anything more than a defense only shortstop.  But that reality as little to do with my personal viewpoint that this team should probably be trying to upgrade a defense only situation.

5 minutes ago, Dtwncbad said:

I don’t mind at all having a defense first shortstop.

But I am never really going to be satisfied with a defense only shortstop.

Yes if the team is consistently winning then I can acknowledge the team may not “need” anything more than a defense only shortstop.  But that reality as little to do with my personal viewpoint that this team should probably be trying to upgrade a defense only situation.

What if they wait till the very last minute of the trade deadline to upgrade the position? 😋

1 hour ago, True Grich said:

What if they wait till the very last minute of the trade deadline to upgrade the position? 😋

Ok.  Seriously.  I want to win.  If the team can be competitive with the defense only guy and then upgrade at the trade deadline I would be pretty happy.

I know you can’t have an All Star at every position but I am always going to have some baseline dissatisfaction with what is essentially half a player (defense only).

9 minutes ago, Dtwncbad said:

Ok.  Seriously.  I want to win.  If the team can be competitive with the defense only guy and then upgrade at the trade deadline I would be pretty happy.

I know you can’t have an All Star at every position but I am always going to have some baseline dissatisfaction with what is essentially half a player (defense only).

We just won another game with Velazquez at short.