• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Matt Wise

With the unbelievable starts this season from Dylan Bundy and Andrew Heaney, I'm wondering if the fault lies with Matt Wise. Did he fail to make some sort of mechanical change in the pitching motion that could have straightened out their problems. Do we want to trust him helping youngsters like Sandoval, Suarez and Detmers?

5 minutes ago, drpiranha said:

With the unbelievable starts this season from Dylan Bundy and Andrew Heaney, I'm wondering if the fault lies with Matt Wise. Did he fail to make some sort of mechanical change in the pitching motion that could have straightened out their problems. Do we want to trust him helping youngsters like Sandoval, Suarez and Detmers?

That would require you to ignore how Sandoval, Suarez, Cobb and Ohtani did last year 

14 hours ago, James said:

Lets wait until the Heaney comes off of the DL......

Funny how we are ignoring the fact that Heaney had stretches very similar with the Halos but the mental midget will show up sonner than later. 

We definitely saw similar flashes of brilliance from the HeanDawg. 

Sandy took that big step under Wise

Suarez also took that step 

Heaney is Heaney, don't forget he look like am Ace I'm 3 straights starts and than followed by 3 bad starts

Bundy, he's a control pitcher and last year he wasn't doing all that bad until MLB put a band on the sticky stuff. After the Ban, things went bad. 

On 4/23/2022 at 8:45 PM, drpiranha said:

Tells me the humidors being used this season are helping them more than any pitching coach ever could.  Both guys tended to be HR prone, neither guy has given up a bomb.

On 4/24/2022 at 11:03 AM, Vlad27Trout27 said:

Sandy took that big step under Wise

Suarez also took that step 

Heaney is Heaney, don't forget he look like am Ace I'm 3 straights starts and than followed by 3 bad starts

Bundy, he's a control pitcher and last year he wasn't doing all that bad until MLB put a band on the sticky stuff. After the Ban, things went bad. 

Has Suarez followed through on that though?   Control/command are spotty so far.

55 minutes ago, rottiesworld said:

A lot of players leave the Angels and seem to do better with the other team, so it does make you wonder?

No, a lot of players don’t leave and do better and if they do it is better for part of a season, which by the way, they were good for parts of seasons with the Angels.  But if you have a list of players that were better once they left and had some success that lasted longer than a bounce back season I would love to look at the list.

Let me just summarize this...

Signing top of the rotation starters via free agency is hard, it's expensive and it's risky.

Drafting and developing top of the rotation starters is also hard, not easily predictable and somewhat risky as well.

Trading for the top of the rotation starters is also hard.  You have to have something valuable to offer for one.  It's also not a guaranteed solution and also involves some risk... but again - it all starts with having significant assets to trade.

The Angels pitching has been pretty bad for a while now.

There isn't a quick fix.  There are no guarantees.  There is no magic formula.

Matt wise isn't the problem.  He's also not the solution.

Let me just add... it's like @Dochalo said in a different thread. The Angels need to make better decisions.  That's easier said than done.  The angels are on their third GM since Reagins and each time the process starts over (to a certain extent).  Perhaps Minasain will figure it out.  We don't know.  We'll see.

Ok, what is/has been going down since  the 80's up to the early 2000's Lach & Black.. And All ACROSS MLB... The Halos & ALL the MLB pushed towards the analytics of the game and are pushing Spin Rate, Velo, Chase Rate etc..(some arms can't physically make these adjustments consistently). To do this they in turn change the mechanics, repertoire of the pitcher drafted as they are developing which takes time to adjust and build a certain muscle base (and confidence by the athlete to make this adjustment) to pitch consistently through the baseline of the Analytics they are attempting to achieve. 

MLB Prospects are graded out by each MLB team through a fine tooth comb of what each Team is looking to do and create! Thinking similar mechanics preach easier fixes into the future long-term. It's kind of a LAZY WAY to see it. But, it's true! Less Coaching involved = Read the sheet and do what it says based on %'s and the Analytics of the game today. Based on the Hitters and Situation you are brought in on. (Don't get me wrong) we did this as well back in the day! But, it was through used as mental historical value... In certain pitch counts/situations you knew that the hitter was looking for what you did last time in the same situation. And sometimes, we would switch it up and pitch backwards... Not much of that today!

(BACK to Original Statement) - The Halos didn't change much of what they had back in the day with arm slots, mechanics, repertoire etc. You got outs and stayed or you didn't and you lost your job or roster spot.

(TODAY) Mechanics have to fit a similar mold and the push for VELO up in the Zone and BREAKING  BALLS down in the Zone (mostly in the dirt or spinning away and out of the strike zone) has created a decrease in the knowledge of how to get hitters out on a consistent basis and with that. There is a decreased knowledge of the ability of getting ahead early on in the count, pounding down in the strike zone, which doesn't coincide with the TODAY PITCH COUNT NARRATIVE. (We use to work at) putting the hitter either at a Disadvantage in the COUNT or OFF BALANCE to then climb the ladder or push a little harder on a breaking ball.   ****SOMETHING I SAW LORENZEN**** Was spinning off his heal in Houston as he got tired! everything was up or down never an adjustment just kept doing the same-thing expecting different results... 

TODAY we see deeper counts and it almost looks on tv as there is ZERO ADJUSTMENT BEING MADE ON THE MOUND or PITCH TO PITCH.  

That's why when guys show up here from other teams they have some success or a lot and then start tinkering with stuff.. Or, the guys are pitching their normal game and suddenly the adjustments of the OVER SHIFT eats them alive. 

Some of the ISSUES I have when young guys that go to these GURU CLINICS usually come out with future Elbow issues (TJ) or labrum tears. (as the body structure and natural arm slot and motion is removed to fit a basic formed mechanical narrative). I was laughing at some videos by a GURU last week who was preaching weakness in your ankles as an issue for lack of VELO... Dude, you know how that is fixed? High TOP CLEATS...