• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

OC Register: Angels manager Joe Maddon plans to rotate outfielders Jo Adell and Jose Rojas

ANAHEIM — After Jo Adell had a tough game in the season opener, Angels manager Joe Maddon reinforced his confidence in the young outfielder.

Even though Adell was not in the lineup on Friday for the second game, Maddon said he’d already determined before Thursday’s game that Jose Rojas and Brandon Marsh would be the two corner outfielders against right-hander Jake Odorizzi.

“I’m going to get them all out there,” Maddon said. “For today, I’m going to get Cookie (Rojas) out there. He, among all the group, is probably having as good of at-bats as anybody there in camp.”

Maddon said before Thursday’s game that his initial plan after they let Justin Upton go was to have Taylor Ward start in right, and Adell and Marsh platoon in left. Ward then suffered a minor groin strain. Now, it seems he’s going to have Rojas and Adell split time until Ward comes back, perhaps as soon as next weekend.

It’s a limited role for Adell, who turned 23 on Friday. The former top prospect opened eyes with improvement at the plate and in the field during spring training.

On Thursday night, though, he struck out in all three of his plate appearances and had two ugly moments in left field. He got a bad jump on a ball that had an 80 percent catch probability, allowing it to go for a double. He also missed the plate by about 40 feet with a throw.

Later in the game, a home run dropped into the first row of the short fence in left, just beyond his reach.

“He’s fine,” Maddon said after Thursday’s game. “The guy had a great camp. He’s ready to roll. You’re not going to have your best night all the time, but I’ve got a lot of confidence in him.”

Maddon also said he likes Rojas, Adell and Marsh in both corner outfield spots.

“There’s really no strong reason behind it,” Maddon said of the initial outfield alignment with Adell in left and Marsh in right. “They’re both good. … We just chose to go that way. You could see it the other way too.”

PITCHING PLANS

Maddon said he is going to be reluctant to use his relievers on back-to-back days at the start of the season because of the shortened spring.

“That’s why we needed to have 10 (relievers), to really make sure we have enough to cover,” Maddon said. “That’s just the way it works right now. You might find a matchup you don’t like because of that. That’s the way it’s going to roll for a little bit.”

Maddon also said he plans to loosen the reins on the starters for their second starts. The first time through, the pitchers are limited to 75 to 80 pitches, and for their second start that will go to 90 to 95.

NOTES

Although Kurt Suzuki got the start at catcher in the second game of the season, Maddon said that he has planned a rotation for the catchers that would have Max Stassi catching four of the six games during the season-opening homestand. Maddon said he likes Suzuki as a backup, but ideally, he would play fewer than the 63 games he started behind the plate last season. …

A day after his first regular-season run-through with PitchCom, the electronic sign system, Stassi said there are some kinks to iron out. “I’m going to practice with it a little more,” he said. “We didn’t use it much this spring. There are different ways you can navigate the buttons.” …

The Angels claimed Kyle Tyler on waivers from the Padres, and then optioned him to Triple-A. Tyler was with the Angels until a few weeks ago. They designated him for assignment and he was claimed by the Boston Red Sox. The Red Sox then let him go and the Padres claimed him, and then the Padres let him go. Tyler, 25, allowed four earned runs in 12-1/3 innings with the Angels last season, walking six and striking out six. …

The Angels moved right-hander Cooper Criswell (shoulder) to the 60-day injured list to open a 40-man spot for Tyler.

UP NEXT

Angels (RHP Noah Syndergaard, 0-1, 9.00 in 2021) vs. Astros (RHP Justin Verlander, 1-0, 3.00 in 2020), Saturday, 6:08 p.m., Bally Sports West, 830 AM

View the full article

It's a disservice to the player. I get wanting Ward in there, that's fine. But, if Adell is going to be a weak side of a platoon with Marsh, only hitting against lefties, which is like once every five games, then he's better served in AAA. 

Also, not sure if anyone has noticed, but Marsh is having good at bats against lefties and is playing very well right now. He's ready to be a full time player. 

16 hours ago, Taylor said:

Seems pointless to have someone with so much upside in a platoon role. Either commit to him every day or send him to AAA.

The point is to win games, so you put out players who give you best chance to win. Last season halos out of race Adell did OK. Maybe he ends up back at SLC soon. He is very young still and may need more time. 

I always loved that Billy Beane quote, in paraphrase: "You use the first third of the season to see what you have, the second third to get what you need, and the last third to ride into the playoffs." Or something like that.

The point being, it is VERY early and the Angels are seeing what they have. No matter what Maddon says his plans are, they will change depending upon performance, injury, etc. This is a team with a a lot of talent, but a lot of question marks.

At this point, Adell has to earn it. If he wants an everyday job he has to play like an everyday player. Some competition isn't a bad thing. 

That said, choices will have to be made - first when Ward comes back, then when rosters shrink. The Angels really only need three of Adell, Marsh, Ward, and Rojas, but they do need three of them - and having on in AAA gives them nice depth. There is plenty of playing time for three of them - between the corner OF spots, backing Trout up, a few starts at 1B and 3B (for Rojas), a few at DH, and coming into the game late. 

It's also Maddon's responsibility to field the best team possible, but we don't know who that is yet. That's the point of the first month or two of the season in the Beane view, and makes perfect sense for a team like the Angels.

If Adell is still looking awful when Ward comes back and/or the rosters shrink, he can be sent down to AAA. But I think it really only benefits his defense - he needs regular play there. But with the bat, I don't think he has anything more to learn in the minors. He needs to adjust to major league pitching, so I think 90 games started in the majors is better for his hitting development than 140 in AAA.

57 minutes ago, Jason said:

I suspect he is never going to develop into a full time player. His bat has been mediocre and his defense is a liability 

I'm not sure you can make that judgment yet but I lean in that direction also....My point was that, if you are correct in your evaluation, we may have missed the chance to get a good young pitcher for him.....Adell may have a higher ceiling but I have always thought Marsh has a better chance of turning in to a good player....

41 minutes ago, Angelsjunky said:

I always loved that Billy Beane quote, in paraphrase: "You use the first third of the season to see what you have, the second third to get what you need, and the last third to ride into the playoffs." Or something like that.

The point being, it is VERY early and the Angels are seeing what they have. No matter what Maddon says his plans are, they will change depending upon performance, injury, etc. This is a team with a a lot of talent, but a lot of question marks.

At this point, Adell has to earn it. If he wants an everyday job he has to play like an everyday player. Some competition isn't a bad thing. 

That said, choices will have to be made - first when Ward comes back, then when rosters shrink. The Angels really only need three of Adell, Marsh, Ward, and Rojas, but they do need three of them - and having on in AAA gives them nice depth. There is plenty of playing time for three of them - between the corner OF spots, backing Trout up, a few starts at 1B and 3B (for Rojas), a few at DH, and coming into the game late. 

It's also Maddon's responsibility to field the best team possible, but we don't know who that is yet. That's the point of the first month or two of the season in the Beane view, and makes perfect sense for a team like the Angels.

If Adell is still looking awful when Ward comes back and/or the rosters shrink, he can be sent down to AAA. But I think it really only benefits his defense - he needs regular play there. But with the bat, I don't think he has anything more to learn in the minors. He needs to adjust to major league pitching, so I think 90 games started in the majors is better for his hitting development than 140 in AAA.

If Adell can't play every day he needs to be sent down. The dude clearly needs reps and exposure and he's not getting that sitting on the bench. Jose Rojas isn't carrying this team to the post season. If Adell struggles through ~280 PA's while on the team all year we are screwed.

31 minutes ago, DMVol said:

I'm not sure you can make that judgment yet but I lean in that direction also....My point was that, if you are correct in your evaluation, we may have missed the chance to get a good young pitcher for him.....Adell may have a higher ceiling but I have always thought Marsh has a better chance of turning in to a good player....

His trade value has plummeted. Yes he’s still young but the pace of his development is either really slow or completely stalled. We will see after this season 

6 minutes ago, Blarg said:

Opening day jitters. You guys over analyzed one game and think it's a career path.

Most likely but so far for his early career there are more question marks than positives. The Angels need players that will help them win now as opposed to developing. 

16 minutes ago, Jason said:

Most likely but so far for his early career there are more question marks than positives. The Angels need players that will help them win now as opposed to developing. 

He just turned 23. Tim Salmon was 24 in his rookie year. He needs MLB time over the bullshit PCL launching pads. Neither Rojas or Ward are going to play at Adell's ceiling. They will just be average at best place holders. 

1 minute ago, Blarg said:

He just turned 23. Tim Salmon was 24 in his rookie year. He needs MLB time over the bullshit PCL launching pads. 

Agreed but the roster doesn’t have the depth to absorb his bat and defense in the lineup daily. He may start playing well tonight and then none of this will matter 

1 minute ago, Jason said:

Agreed but the roster doesn’t have the depth to absorb his bat and defense in the lineup daily. He may start playing well tonight and then none of this will matter 

0-4, 3 K's. 2 errors.

Aw gets big mad.

56 minutes ago, AngelsLakersFan said:

If Adell can't play every day he needs to be sent down. The dude clearly needs reps and exposure and he's not getting that sitting on the bench. Jose Rojas isn't carrying this team to the post season. If Adell struggles through ~280 PA's while on the team all year we are screwed.

Exactly, all three (Marsh, Adell and Rojos) are still young.  Confidence is everything.  They need consistent at bats.  And if they have a bad game you put your arm around them and tell them the team has confidence in him.  You don't sit the player.

You either have confidence they are ready or you do not.

16 minutes ago, Jason said:

The Angels are not winning the World Series this year. They are, at best, a wildcard. This is the season to break in the rookies and quit playing scared of the results. You go with Ward and Rojas and Adell still won't be polished enough to lead next season. It's wasting next season as well for competitiveness. I'm tired of watching them wait until next season.