• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

The Official 2022 MLB Season Thread

On this day in history, August 26, 1939, baseball broadcast on TV for first time

On this day in history, August 26, 1939, baseball broadcast on TV for first time

The Cincinnati Reds visited the Brooklyn Dodgers and split a double-header at Ebbets Field as Major League Baseball was broadcast on television for the first time on this day in history, August 26, 1939. 

"No monitor, only two cameras at Ebbets Field," said Dodgers radio announcer Red Barber, who called the game for TV, according to the National Baseball Hall of Fame. 

"I had to watch to see which one’s red light was on, then guess its direction."

1 hour ago, mmc said:

not a fan of this kind of contract for someone who hasn't even finished his first season. what's wrong with waiting another year or two and see if he'll consistently play this well? he's under team control so there shouldn't be a rush to sign him.

1 minute ago, Tank said:

not a fan of this kind of contract for someone who hasn't even finished his first season. what's wrong with waiting another year or two and see if he'll consistently play this well? he's under team control so there shouldn't be a rush to sign him.

I agree, first 2 years you can pay them peanuts.  2 years is a better sample size and waiting a season doesn't move the needle too much in terms of comp and years for an extension of this size and magnitude.  Also don't blame Rodriguez for taking the deal.

1 hour ago, Tank said:

Beats having to try to worry about affording them later on. I get your viewpoint. I watch him every night he plays. He LOOKS different. I'm sure you felt the same watching Mike Trout. I'm not saying he is Mike Trout or close to Mike Trout, but I don't see him being a pumpkin. 

He doesn't walk, but he's in the 90th percentiles of hard hit %, exit velocity, avg exit velocity, sprint speed, outs above average, and barrel %.

He's 21. He's also not a cocky moron like Tatis Jr. 

And we lost A-Rod (oh well) cause we didn't do this to him. And to an extent, Griffey too. Seattle has to do what it has to do to keep / attract stars ... and that means $$$$$.

I agree that they could definitely wait especially when he hasn't hit arbitration but the structure would be team friendly assuming he continues to produce while guaranteeing Rodriguez at least $210M.  If I'm reading it right the first 8 years are at $120M which means $15M per year covering his 5 years of remaining club control and what would be his first three years of FA.  After that there's the 5 year player option for $90M which he can exercise but if he's crushing it he can opt out or use that ability to negotiate his next big contract when he's in the prime of his career.  It also seems to be structured to reward him if he his producing so he can make quite a bit more.  Definitely a risk because most young players will have growing pains or perhaps you find out they're injury prone but it's one we've seen teams more willing to take in recent years.  Acuna signed an 8 year $100M contract in 2019 when he was 21 and the only blemish if you can call it that was his injury last year which could explain his decreased production this year.  Tatis signed a 14 year $340M contract shortly after turning 22 and between his motorcycle related injuries, PED usage and the teams overall displeasure with him I'm guessing right now they're regretting it.  Rodriguez is only 21 and so far at least he's seemed to be more like Trout persona wise than Tatis.    

1 hour ago, Ender said:

Beats having to try to worry about affording them later on. I get your viewpoint. I watch him every night he plays. He LOOKS different. I'm sure you felt the same watching Mike Trout. I'm not saying he is Mike Trout or close to Mike Trout, but I don't see him being a pumpkin. 

He doesn't walk, but he's in the 90th percentiles of hard hit %, exit velocity, avg exit velocity, sprint speed, outs above average, and barrel %.

He's 21. He's also not a cocky moron like Tatis Jr. 

And we lost A-Rod (oh well) cause we didn't do this to him. And to an extent, Griffey too. Seattle has to do what it has to do to keep / attract stars ... and that means $$$$$.

I heard he went out to buy a motorcycle. Fernando Tatis got him a good deal