• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

The Official 2022 Spring Training Hot Stove Thread

mmc

9 minutes ago, totdprods said:

Montas is arguably the top arm on the trade market right now with several teams interested. No reason to doubt Oakland is starting talks with at least one of Adell, Detmers, Marsh, or Bachman and that's reason to pause alone. 

Doesn't mean it shouldn't be discussed, but, hard to go too high on a deal in-division. I imagine they've made some sorts of offer but likely getting topped by other teams currently. 

I'm buying into the notion that Perry said yesterday there's no limitation, room to improve everywhere, and that "we'll see" means they're making offers, but not desperate.

If the Angels are not willing to give up any of the players you list for a guy like Montas, then they are fools.

The standard knee-jerk (not suggesting YOU are doing this) of “We can’t gut the farm” is tired.

Paying a fair price for Montas will not gut the farm.  He will cost probably Marsh and if the As play hardball another body that likely will ultimately be insignificant long term.

The other complaint is always, “not for only that amount of control.”

How about make the trade and extend the guy like the Braves did with Matt Olson or the Jays did with Berrios?

Edited by Dtwncbad

19 minutes ago, Angelsfan1984 said:

I get a weird feeling they end up with either Correa or story. 

2 minutes ago, totdprods said:

see if you can snag a decent vet 1/$8m or perhaps get someone like Story on a one-year pillow deal.

I wonder how much Story is looking for.  Signing him feels risky but would change the middle infield into a strength.

3 minutes ago, Revad said:

I wonder how much Story is looking for.  Signing him feels risky but would change the middle infield into a strength.

If Story's market craters to the point where he'd take a 1/$20m or something to try and shake the Coors stigma, he'd certainly be worth the gamble. Just not sure his market will stoop that low. But he'd be an obvious fit to try, even with his question marks, if he got to that point. 

I like Jonathan Villar too, but after adding Duffy and subtracting no one from the IF depth at all so far, I can't imagine he'd tilt the needle enough to add to that mix, unless they moved Rengifo in a deal for an arm.

7 minutes ago, Dtwncbad said:

If the Angels are not willing to give up any of the players you list for a guy like Montas, then they are fools.

The standard knee-jerk (not suggesting YOU are doing this) of “We can’t gut the farm” is tired.

Paying a fair price for Montas will not gut the farm.  He will cost probably Marsh and if the As play hardball another body that likely will ultimately be insignificant long term.

The other complaint is always, “not for only that amount of control.”

How about make the trade and extend the guy like the Braves did with Matt Olson or the Jays did with Berrios?

I am not one to shy away from moving top prospects at all, and I don't think Perry would either...just think that, in the case of Montas, given that he IS in division, the Angels won't get into a bidding war, which appears to be the case right now with the Yankees, Royals, Twins all conceivably involved. 

That's why I said a competitive offer. The Angels might very well be comfortable offering one of those four for Montas, but maybe just one, and the Athletics are getting enough buzz to justifiably ask for two, which does start to get a little riskier in division. If you were to replace Montas and Oakland with Cincy and Castillo (or another equivalent) then it becomes a little more reasonable to consider two prospects. 

All that can change in a moment though. Maybe the Yankees decide to just get Manaea for Voit and a couple B+ prospects. Maybe the Twins don't match. Maybe the Royals swoop in and get Mahle or Castillo or pause pursuing altogether. Oakland's best deal for Montas might then be one Angels' top prospect.

It's a bit of a poker game at this point.

9 minutes ago, totdprods said:

I am not one to shy away from moving top prospects at all, and I don't think Perry would either...just think that, in the case of Montas, given that he IS in division, the Angels won't get into a bidding war, which appears to be the case right now with the Yankees, Royals, Twins all conceivably involved. 

That's why I said a competitive offer. The Angels might very well be comfortable offering one of those four for Montas, but maybe just one, and the Athletics are getting enough buzz to justifiably ask for two, which does start to get a little riskier in division. If you were to replace Montas and Oakland with Cincy and Castillo (or another equivalent) then it becomes a little more reasonable to consider two prospects. 

All that can change in a moment though. Maybe the Yankees decide to just get Manaea for Voit and a couple B+ prospects. Maybe the Twins don't match. Maybe the Royals swoop in and get Mahle or Castillo or pause pursuing altogether. Oakland's best deal for Montas might then be one Angels' top prospect.

It's a bit of a poker game at this point.

The should get into a bidding war, with the intention of winning the bidding war.  The reality is Montas is rationally worth to the Angels based on the Angels specific needs, so they should be willing to pay a higher price than other teams.

I would also be very happy to make a deal with Oakland where the Angels pay the price to get Montas with offensive prospects and hold on to Detmers and Bachman.

I am not going to be bothered by watching Montas in an Angel uniform facing Marsh in an A’s uniform.

Arte doesn't like cheaters so no Montas.  This may not be true, but it might be.  I don't think we've got the scratch for Montas without severely damaging the major league roster.  It's probably not one of but multiple of Adell/Marsh, Suarez/Sandoval, Detmers/Bachman and others.  I think he ultimately gets more in return than Olson.  So it'll put a pretty substantial dent in any farm/roster.  

10 minutes ago, Dochalo said:

Arte doesn't like cheaters so no Montas.  This may not be true, but it might be.  I don't think we've got the scratch for Montas without severely damaging the major league roster.  It's probably not one of but multiple of Adell/Marsh, Suarez/Sandoval, Detmers/Bachman and others.  I think he ultimately gets more in return than Olson.  So it'll put a pretty substantial dent in any farm/roster.  

I am not sure you are correct on what it will take to get a Montas.  I know the trade simulator isn’t real but it often is fairly close.  A deal anchored by Marsh (maybe with like Adams or Barria?) could be enough?

9D20284E-7B6A-423E-8F3A-9A6675153E62.jpeg

34 minutes ago, Dtwncbad said:

The should get into a bidding war, with the intention of winning the bidding war.  The reality is Montas is rationally worth to the Angels based on the Angels specific needs, so they should be willing to pay a higher price than other teams.

I would also be very happy to make a deal with Oakland where the Angels pay the price to get Montas with offensive prospects and hold on to Detmers and Bachman.

I am not going to be bothered by watching Montas in an Angel uniform facing Marsh in an A’s uniform.

Montas is very good, I 100% agree

2 minutes ago, Turd Ferguson said:

Can't see us going after Story or Correa. I think the MI approach is to throw 💩 against the wall and see what sticks. Periphery pieces, at best, from here on out.

I think that's the SP and BP approach, as well.

35 minutes ago, Dtwncbad said:

I am not sure you are correct on what it will take to get a Montas.  I know the trade simulator isn’t real but it often is fairly close.  A deal anchored by Marsh (maybe with like Adams or Barria?) could be enough?

9D20284E-7B6A-423E-8F3A-9A6675153E62.jpeg

I might not be, but I get the sense that they're looking to cut a fat hog and probably have multiple suitors which changes the game for this type of trade.  I actually like that sight more than others and think it's typically pretty spot on for most things.  In this case though, I think they're going to get someone to overpay and I'd rather it not be us.  Especially if it damages the major league roster.