• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

The Official 2022 Los Angeles Angels Minor League Stats, Reports & Scouting Thread

6 hours ago, tdawg87 said:

So it doesn't matter? I'm confused. 

If he was hitting .400 right now he wouldn't be on the team. He's not going to be a 4th outfielder. And no, Ward isn't losing his spot anytime soon. 

The only chance Adell has is if someone gets hurt, and even then the team throws Lageres out there over him.

I once spoke with a high ranking member of the Angels front office, and he and I were talking about CJ Cron at the time. And I'll never forget what he told me. "If a prospect plays well enough in AAA, he's never blocked. We'll create an avenue for that playing time, or better yet his bat will."

If Adell's bat was that legit, he'd be in the lineup, everyday. 

2 minutes ago, Second Base said:

I once spoke with a high ranking member of the Angels front office, and he and I were talking about CJ Cron at the time. And I'll never forget what he told me. "If a prospect plays well enough in AAA, he's never blocked. We'll create an avenue for that playing time, or better yet his bat will."

If Adell's bat was that legit, he'd be in the lineup, everyday. 

How?

Just now, tdawg87 said:

How?

No idea. That's why I'm not in the business as they say. But if Adell was being .400 and launching dingers left and right, playing good D and running, they'd figure it out, because the bar would be too valuable. 

Maybe it means Ward picks up his 1B mitt against LHP, or Ward reaquaints himself at 3B, or Adell learns how to play 1B, or Marsh, since he's practiced there before. 

What I'm saying is that he'd be in the lineup IF he was playing that well and it was sustainable.

I mean, it isn't like Marsh's performance is a high bar to surpass. To echo Scotty, if Adell was playing well enough, they'd go back to a platoon, and find ways to get him into more games. And consider how many games Trout and Ward have missed - that's a lot of time that Adell could have gotten.

So let's say we have the "problem" we thought we'd have this year: Adell and Marsh are both ready, Ward is still really good, plus Trout. Now let's incorporate DH and 1B, so add Ohtani and Walsh to the mix. That's six players, five positions.

5 positions x 162 starts = 810 starts. Divide that by 6 and you get an average of 135 starts. Now consider injuries - some guys will play less than that. And then consider pinch-hitting, pinch-running, late game replacements for defense or on account of blow-outs, etc - at least every third game - and you're talking 850-900 games played for those six players, or an average somewhere in the 140-150 range.

Even if somehow, miraculously, everyone is healthy all year, you can still manage it so that Trout and Ohtani get into 150+ games, Walsh and Ward into 145+, and Marsh and Adell into 130+.  But again, injuries will happen, and all six could play in 90-95% of the games they're healthy for.

Or to put it another way, having six good players for five positions means you've always got a good player on the bench.

Now personally, I think the Angels should be doing that now. I'd rather see Adell work out in the big leagues than Wade or Lagares starts in the OF. I mean, so far, in terms of OF starts, we've had:

Trout 54, Marsh 53, Ward 39, Adell 21, Lagares 15, Wade 7, Rojas 6, Mayfield 6, Whitefield 2, Thomas 1. That's 37 starts that went to bench players and scrubs.

That also implies that the Angels must really feel like Adell needs to be in AAA. It is too bad, because he looked a bit better last time up, hitting .368/.429/.474 in 6 games.

Edited by Angelsjunky

Can’t really compare Marsh and Adell. Marsh is playing premium D right now. Ward is getting on base and making contact at an elite level. Marsh is up and down and a lot, but you can see him learning through it. And he’s playing great D in left. Adell was playing bad D, and providing less or close to the same amount of offense as Marsh. But take a look at Adell’s last time up—hit well, but the D was still spotty (jogging to the ball in the corner, allowing a lazy pop to drop by not calling 2B and CF off) and he made perhaps the worst base running error I’ve ever seen. At this point for me, I don’t believe he is actively working on these issues because they are not getting better AND they are things that get better with reps and focus. It could be because he’s upset, doesn’t think he needs to, or isn’t working hard enough. I’ve always followed him and rooted for him, but at this point one has to question whether or not he is focusing in and working as hard as possible to improve these very clear deficiencies. 

9 hours ago, ThisismineScios said:

Can’t really compare Marsh and Adell. Marsh is playing premium D right now. Ward is getting on base and making contact at an elite level. Marsh is up and down and a lot, but you can see him learning through it. And he’s playing great D in left. Adell was playing bad D, and providing less or close to the same amount of offense as Marsh. But take a look at Adell’s last time up—hit well, but the D was still spotty (jogging to the ball in the corner, allowing a lazy pop to drop by not calling 2B and CF off) and he made perhaps the worst base running error I’ve ever seen. At this point for me, I don’t believe he is actively working on these issues because they are not getting better AND they are things that get better with reps and focus. It could be because he’s upset, doesn’t think he needs to, or isn’t working hard enough. I’ve always followed him and rooted for him, but at this point one has to question whether or not he is focusing in and working as hard as possible to improve these very clear deficiencies. 

I think it's just the human impact on the game. Sure, he's hard working and intelligent. So was I at age 23, and I still did all kinds of idiot things. So I understand if Adell is angry and resentful and has even lost faith in the organization or focus in general. His best friend is up and he's not. The GM that drafted him is gone too. So is the coach he thought he'd be playing for. Upton put in time mentoring him and he's gone too. 

Baseball is a business and for Adell, I think it's easy to resent the Angels right now. Even when guys are hurt and they're losing, they still won't give him an everyday look. 

It has to be frustrating. Baseball is not only a game that requires talent, it also requires the right timing. Right place, right time. I've known plenty of guys that should've been drafted but were never seen. I've seen some pretty good players in the minor leagues not get promoted and find a non baseball career path. I mean just look at Jeff Trout. He hit .321 in AA then got sick of the minor league life, moved back home and started a family, thankfully. Similarly, situationally the timing just hasn't aligned for Adell.

I'm with AJ. Adell needs to be up and needs to be inserted into the lineup continually both for his sake, the Angels sake and the guys that he's providing rest for. And at three same time, I recognize Jo Adell could've done a lot more in AAA to convince them. But look at his first couple weeks in AAA, it was comical how good he was. 

Edited by Second Base

Have Adell come up and start against all lefties and Marsh replace him late in those games?

At least that would be what, 30-40% of the games he would start?

Add DHing Trout a few games to rest Ohtani, and insert Adell into the lineup in those games too?

Can’t continue to run Wade and Lagares out there with their .500s OPS’.

4 hours ago, Second Base said:

I think it's just the human impact on the game. Sure, he's hard working and intelligent. So was I at age 23, and I still did all kinds of idiot things. So I understand if Adell is angry and resentful and has even lost faith in the organization or focus in general. His best friend is up and he's not. The GM that drafted him is gone too. So is the coach he thought he'd be playing for. Upton put in time mentoring him and he's gone too. 

Baseball is a business and for Adell, I think it's easy to resent the Angels right now. Even when guys are hurt and they're losing, they still won't give him an everyday look. 

It has to be frustrating. Baseball is not only a game that requires talent, it also requires the right timing. Right place, right time. I've known plenty of guys that should've been drafted but were never seen. I've seen some pretty good players in the minor leagues not get promoted and find a non baseball career path. I mean just look at Jeff Trout. He hit .321 in AA then got sick of the minor league life, moved back home and started a family, thankfully. Similarly, situationally the timing just hasn't aligned for Adell.

I'm with AJ. Adell needs to be up and needs to be inserted into the lineup continually both for his sake, the Angels sake and the guys that he's providing rest for. And at three same time, I recognize Jo Adell could've done a lot more in AAA to convince them. But look at his first couple weeks in AAA, it was comical how good he was. 

I agree with you Scotty, and empathize with Adell...but....part of growing up is saying, "Fuck it - shit isn't just going to be handed to me. I've got to make things happen for myself." 

I'm not saying it is just this simple, but to some extent it comes down to how much Adell wants it - and whether he can bypass his own resentment and, basically, ego.

So while you and I--and Jo--think he should be up right now, and certainly getting playing time over Wade and Lagares, Jo can either be pissed off or he can double-down and work even harder. I think once he does the latter is when he becomes a good ball-player.

8 minutes ago, Angelsjunky said:

My soul died just a little bit.

I hope it doesn't happen, but he's not Trout, he doesn't have those roots and he's already shown he's capable of leaving a lot behind to further his career.

I remember a quote earlier this season where he said this was the most fun he had ever had playing baseball, winning/being a part of a winner is clearly something he wants/craves.  Even more than his comments last year -- those comments this season make me believe he will put winning above all else.

The other thing, at no time during Trout's tenure in Anaheim have the Angels had a legit valuable player they could trade in order to cash in on. Also, nobody may want to admit this but Ohtani as a DH only is a hit to the team's flexibility.  He brings more to the table than he costs them being locked into a DH only role but it does lock the team into one guy at a position where most teams can use it as a revolving door/rest spot.

They best get to winning.

1 hour ago, Inside Pitch said:

I hope it doesn't happen, but he's not Trout, he doesn't have those roots and he's already shown he's capable of leaving a lot behind to further his career.

I remember a quote earlier this season where he said this was the most fun he had ever had playing baseball, winning/being a part of a winner is clearly something he wants/craves.  Even more than his comments last year -- those comments this season make me believe he will put winning above all else.

The other thing, at no time during Trout's tenure in Anaheim have the Angels had a legit valuable player they could trade in order to cash in on. Also, nobody may want to admit this but Ohtani as a DH only is a hit to the team's flexibility.  He brings more to the table than he costs them being locked into a DH only role but it does lock the team into one guy at a position where most teams can use it as a revolving door/rest spot.

They best get to winning.

Yeah, I hear you - and my view is basically the same.

One could argue that if they don't turn it around this year and at least get back to 85 wins--with the idea being to add 5+ next year--that they should trade him this offseason, to maximize his value.

I don't think they'll do that, though. The only way that trade him, in my opinion, is if they suck this year and next, and then maybe they trade him in July of 2023.

One factor we all know is huge in any Angels decision is the economic bottom line. Shohei is a huge commondity and draw, and Arte won't let that go unless it becomes absolutely clear that he won't stay beyond 2023 and/or he's just going to be too expensive for what he's willing to spend. For instance, if the Angels give a big contract to Turner or Bogaerts and somehow still manage to suck in 2023, then Arte might relinquish and let Minasian trade Ohtani.

1 hour ago, True Grich said:

I think some people are making big assumptions about Adell's mind set when they really have no frickin' idea about what he's actually thinking and feeling.

I think that goes without saying. But swap "assumptions" for "speculations" and it is just a conversation among fans.

DSL numbers don't mean a whole lot, but nice to see some good starts from the big signings:

Randy DeJesus: 10 games, .333/.429/.556

Nelson Rada: 8 games, .357/.486/.536

If they keep it up, maybe we'll see them States-side this year.

I haven't heard of him before, but Ramon Ramirez (17) is hitting .375/.516/.750 in 9 games.

In the ACL, Denzer Guzman is playing well, hitting .355/.375/.617 in 8 games.

People have mentioned Jorge Marcheco (14 Ks and 0 walks in 9 IP), but Gabriel Tapia--a former sleeper prospect for some on this board--is pitching well, with 2 walks and 8 Ks in 6.1 IP (1.42 ERA).

On 6/20/2022 at 10:41 AM, True Grich said:

I think some people are making big assumptions about Adell's mind set when they really have no frickin' idea about what he's actually thinking and feeling.

ADELL UPDATE

Outfielder Jo Adell had a brief stint in his second trip to the big leagues during the Angels’ last homestand. Minasian said he’s been impressed that Adell continues to make progress.

“I think (he’s improved at) base running, defense, offense,” Minasian said. “He’s a really young player. I think for him just to continue to get everyday at-bats was really important. He’s going down there and he’s had the right attitude. That’s what really impressive. We’ve all seen certain players in the past who go up and go down and can take a certain type of attitude to Triple-A. They might not necessarily perform or work the way they should and he’s been the exact opposite. He’s been awesome. It’s a testament to him and his makeup.”

Edited by True Grich