• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Syndergaard - 2 years?

Torridd

It makes a lot of sense for Syndergaard himself to have not even taken multi-year offers. If he's good and healthy this year, he'll make a lot more in 2023, 2024, and beyond than he would have had he signed a deal for those years this season. Also a good sign for us that he's betting on himself like that.

Hopefully the new CBA gives the Angels some sort of compensation if he has a monster year and signs elsewhere next winter, given than he could not be offered another QO under this current expiring CBA.

Edited by totdprods

6 minutes ago, totdprods said:

Hopefully the new CBA gives the Angels some sort of compensation if he has a monster year

Hopefully the new CBA gives the Angels some sort of compensation if guys have a shit year.

Joking aside, I think owners would be willing to spend a lot more if there was some sort of insurance off of bad contracts.

The union would never go for it, obviously. But if say teams could opt out of bad contracts, they might be willing to spend a lot more initially.

Just now, Underdog Lefty said:

Just as important as needing pitchers, the Angels need a new pitching coach.  Has anyone heard any rumors on that yet?

I'm not sure why people keep saying this.  Is there any empirical (or even anecdotal) evidence that Matt Wise isn't a good pitching coach?

10 minutes ago, jsnpritchett said:

I'm not sure why people keep saying this.  Is there any empirical (or even anecdotal) evidence that Matt Wise isn't a good pitching coach?

We arguably had our best pitching in years last year...sure some guys were garbage, but there was more positive developments from the guys that mattered than not.

4 minutes ago, totdprods said:

We arguably had our best pitching in years last year...sure some guys were garbage, but there was more positive developments from the guys that mattered than not.

agreed.  Angels pitching finished 13th in WAR last season.  I don't know if anyone has mentioned this, but maybe their performance was negatively impacted by poor defense  

47 minutes ago, Dochalo said:

agreed.  Angels pitching finished 13th in WAR last season.  I don't know if anyone has mentioned this, but maybe their performance was negatively impacted by poor defense  

First I've heard of it.

2 hours ago, Torridd said:

Does anyone know if any team offered him 2 years or more?

It may not be a matter of what team would have liked to offer.  It doesn’t always work like that.  If the player makes it clear that they are 100% committed to doing a one year deal to re-establish their value, then teams are not going to make formal offers that don’t fit what the player is looking for.

I think a lot of people missed that they removed the interim tag from Wise in May when they fired Callaway. 

He's the guy. Doesn't mean he won't be replaced after 2022 or 2023, but give the guy an offseason and a chance to see what he can do.

2 hours ago, jsnpritchett said:

Since Wise took over Sandoval and Suarez have both developed into competent MLB starters that are pretty much locks for the back-end of the rotation for 2022, and Ohtani's development through the year was tremendous. Sure, you'd expect a degree of that from Ohtani post TJ, but his overall performances just seemed to be on a permanent upward curve without ever really hitting a plateau. Barria seemed to work a couple of things out too. How much of that is down to Wise I don't know, but it's a bloody nice coincidence whatever the reason(s).  

A pitching coach needs successive seasons to really make an impact. He has to deal with over a dozen pitchers starting in spring training, learn their individual traits, strengths, weaknesses. Many of which are very subtle. Technical, biological, psychological factors about each pitcher. It's not an instant fix. 

And veterans have to be dealt with differently than young inexperienced pitchers. 

Of course there are obvious things that show up, but time is needed to really understand the mindset and limitations of each player. That includes lots of close observation as well as tape study and recognition of past patterns and habits. As well as conveying information about how to pitch against each team. 

Fans always look for quick cures and instant improvement. But it's a process. Some may just require a little tweak or bit of advice. Others maybe a more detailed revamping of technique.

Last year Wise did get a handle on the staff to some degree, but it's still a work in progress.