• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Official 2021-22 Hot Stove League Thread.

27 minutes ago, tdawg87 said:

At this point I don't want to trade anything.

I agree with you. Well, anything in the top 5 or 6 guys. But I gotta believe you can trade for Gray without having to part with Adell, Marsh, Detmers, Bachman or Paris. If the cost was, say, Jordyn Adams and Denzer Guzman (our 3 and 9 prospects according to MLB.com), that’s a trade you have to consider making. 

Just now, wopphil said:

I agree with you. Well, anything in the top 5 or 6 guys. But I gotta believe you can trade for Gray without having to part with Adell, Marsh, Detmers, Bachman or Paris. If the cost was, say, Jordyn Adams and Denzer Guzman (our 3 and 9 prospects according to MLB.com), that’s a trade you have to consider making. 

I don’t agree. The Reds want pitching. And there's no way we keep all those guys. None of them are worth Gray, but I guarantee we don't get him without parting with Detmers or Bachman.

Fuck that.

1 hour ago, tdawg87 said:

I don’t agree. The Reds want pitching. And there's no way we keep all those guys. None of them are worth Gray, but I guarantee we don't get him without parting with Detmers or Bachman.

Fuck that.

Maybe. But maybe not. They gave away Iglesias for nothing at all. And they gave away a starter earlier this year for nothing at all. It all depends on the market. Gray isn’t a top of the rotation guy and really doesn’t have the potential to be one. He shouldn’t cost too prospects. 

1 hour ago, eligrba said:

I still wonder what the hell happened with Robbie Ray.   Were the Angels not interested?

It would appear that Minasian pulled a Tony Reagins and was late to the party. Ray signed a day before he was scheduled to meet with the Angels.

Guess they weren't that serious.

2 minutes ago, tdawg87 said:

It would appear that Minasian pulled a Tony Reagins and was late to the party. Ray signed a day before he was scheduled to meet with the Angels.

Guess they weren't that serious.

If they were not serious they would not have scheduled a meeting with him.  Looks instead like Ray either wasn’t that serious about the Angels or he simply got what he wanted from someone else.  Which means he wasn’t very serious about the Angels.

One way to change that is to have the meeting, which they had set.

I just can’t begin to “guess the Angels weren’t that serious” because Ray signed prior to the meeting.

42 minutes ago, Dtwncbad said:

If they were not serious they would not have scheduled a meeting with him.  Looks instead like Ray either wasn’t that serious about the Angels or he simply got what he wanted from someone else.  Which means he wasn’t very serious about the Angels.

One way to change that is to have the meeting, which they had set.

I just can’t begin to “guess the Angels weren’t that serious” because Ray signed prior to the meeting.

It makes more sense to assume the Angels weren’t that serious than to think they were serious considering he signed a month after free agency started. If the Angels were that serious you’d have to think they would have set up a meeting well before that, you know, like they did with the other three free agent pitchers that had signed before Ray.   Also, just because they hadn’t set up a face to face meeting you’d have to think Perry had spoken to his agent about what the asking price would be. 

To take it a step further it would also make sense to think Ray’s agent reached out to the Angels and other interested teams telling them they had a deal in hand, to see if any team wanted to increase their offer. You know, do his job as an agent. 

Look at how the Syndergaard signing happened and then compare it to Ray. 

If they were serious they would have already met with him and gone the extra mile to show him how much they want his services. 

That doesn't mean he'd sign, but at least we'd know the effort was made. From all the information we have, and @Jeff Fletcher please correct my ignorance if I'm wrong, it seems they dropped the ball and never met with him. 

I guess I'll meet in the middle and say it's possible Ray's agent or Ray himself set the date and couldn't/wouldn't meet earlier.

3 hours ago, wopphil said:

Maybe. But maybe not. They gave away Iglesias for nothing at all. And they gave away a starter earlier this year for nothing at all. It all depends on the market. Gray isn’t a top of the rotation guy and really doesn’t have the potential to be one. He shouldn’t cost too prospects. 

You're right. He shouldn't. But considering what I was told they wanted for Castillo, the asking price for Gray would be steeper than you think. 

17 hours ago, Stradling said:

It makes more sense to assume the Angels weren’t that serious than to think they were serious considering he signed a month after free agency started. If the Angels were that serious you’d have to think they would have set up a meeting well before that, you know, like they did with the other three free agent pitchers that had signed before Ray.   Also, just because they hadn’t set up a face to face meeting you’d have to think Perry had spoken to his agent about what the asking price would be. 

It's all a very odd situation. Obviously Ray was less interested in the Angels than the Angels were reportedly interested in Ray. My gut tells me that this was a situation where the Angels had Syndergaard first on their board and tried to square things away with him before negotiating with Ray. Ray took the opportunity to hook up with someone else.

18 hours ago, tdawg87 said:

Look at how the Syndergaard signing happened and then compare it to Ray. 

If they were serious they would have already met with him and gone the extra mile to show him how much they want his services. 

That doesn't mean he'd sign, but at least we'd know the effort was made. From all the information we have, and @Jeff Fletcher please correct my ignorance if I'm wrong, it seems they dropped the ball and never met with him. 

I guess I'll meet in the middle and say it's possible Ray's agent or Ray himself set the date and couldn't/wouldn't meet earlier.

I assume if the Angels and Ray didn’t meet that was Ray’s choice.