• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Are you concerned about anti-white discrimination in America?

Anti-White Discrimination  

10 members have voted

1. 1. Are you concerned about anti-white discrimination in America?

• Yes
    • No
  2. 2. If yes, does that mean systemic racism exists?

• Yes
    • No
    • I voted "no" to the first question.

1 hour ago, Taylor said:

I like how people assume "diversity hiring" means choosing someone less qualified for the position. It's actually kind of racist to assume that just because candidate Y is Black, they got hired because of their skin color and not their qualifications.

I mean, diversity hires are just that. They're intentionally working within a limited scope and seek to only hire someone that belongs to a certain group. Black, female, whatever.

The point is that when you do that, you're intentionally limiting your choices and potentially losing out on someone who could provide greater value. I don't see how that could be disputed. Not everyone is always equally qualified for everything, some people are more capable/competent than others at their jobs.

1 hour ago, Taylor said:

I understand the qualms with affirmative action, but when you consider how many people get into colleges due to their "legacy" status (i.e., their parents or grandparents are alumni), and the vast majority of those legacy applicants are white, there has to be a system in place to provide avenues for qualified candidates who would otherwise be overlooked. 

In a previous organization where I worked, a Black female employee really lobbied for her white hiring manager to look beyond the typical slew of candidates who were applying for a position. The hiring manager ended up hiring a Black guy who was absolutely the right person for the job, and he's now a senior leader in the organization. If that guy weren't qualified, he wouldn't have been hired. But if the hiring manager hadn't taken the extra step of recruiting someone who wasn't initially drawn to the position, the organization would have lost out. 

I’m going to go out on a limb and predict your pediatrician isn’t a Grambling graduate. 

59 minutes ago, cals said:

Watching you guys try to argue with KC and lose is awesome.

These people preach be proud of who you are. Of course that’s only if you’re a woman, minority , or homosexual. Hell, I’m not ashamed or remorseful for being born a white man. 

Edited by Kotchman

37 minutes ago, Make Angels Great Again said:

I mean, diversity hires are just that. They're intentionally working within a limited scope and seek to only hire someone that belongs to a certain group. Black, female, whatever.

The point is that when you do that, you're intentionally limiting your choices and potentially losing out on someone who could provide greater value. I don't see how that could be disputed. Not everyone is always equally qualified for everything, some people are more capable/competent than others at their jobs.

It doesn't have to happen that way. Of course, saying, "I will only hire a non-white person for this role, regardless of their qualifications" will limit your scope. But whether you like to admit it or not, since the beginning of our country white males have automatically benefitted from the way society is constructed. We no longer have written codes that limit the rights of women and people of color, but the patterns of history are powerful, and by default, we tend to be drawn to people who are like ourselves. The majority of hiring managers in the U.S. are white males, so unless an intentional emphasis is put on seeking diverse candidates, there will be no change to the status quo.

I don't think the majority of white male hiring managers are racist. Most of these things are unconscious. And we can all do a little better by acknowledging our biases and going an extra step to provide opportunities for people who are different than we are.

47 minutes ago, Taylor said:

It doesn't have to happen that way. Of course, saying, "I will only hire a non-white person for this role, regardless of their qualifications" will limit your scope. But whether you like to admit it or not, since the beginning of our country white males have automatically benefitted from the way society is constructed. We no longer have written codes that limit the rights of women and people of color, but the patterns of history are powerful, and by default, we tend to be drawn to people who are like ourselves. The majority of hiring managers in the U.S. are white males, so unless an intentional emphasis is put on seeking diverse candidates, there will be no change to the status quo.

I don't think the majority of white male hiring managers are racist. Most of these things are unconscious. And we can all do a little better by acknowledging our biases and going an extra step to provide opportunities for people who are different than we are.

Acknowledge your bias and then implement a conscious bias against an entire group of people based on one variable. #progress

4 minutes ago, Adam said:

Acknowledge your bias and then implement a conscious bias against an entire group of people based on one variable. #progress

No, it's saying, "Huh, I do tend to gravitate toward people who are just like me. What if I took a second look at some candidates who are different than me?"

1 hour ago, Taylor said:

No, it's saying, "Huh, I do tend to gravitate toward people who are just like me. What if I took a second look at some candidates who are different than me?"

No it’s legitimate discrimination against people based on one variable

1 hour ago, Adam said:

And I will qualify that by saying that I think every individual an organization should have the right to discriminate in any way that they’d like

Absolutely. I do t go to hooters in hopes of seeing a bulge in skimpy shorts or a Japanese restaurant  with all Mexican cooks 

6 hours ago, Taylor said:

I understand the qualms with affirmative action, but when you consider how many people get into colleges due to their "legacy" status (i.e., their parents or grandparents are alumni), and the vast majority of those legacy applicants are white, there has to be a system in place to provide avenues for qualified candidates who would otherwise be overlooked. 

Two wrongs don't make a right. The problem with your scenario is that the 'legacy' applicants are still getting in. This is why the democrats have lost the white's without a college degree vote - they are the ones that will get passed over, not the trust fund kid.

1 hour ago, AngelsLakersFan said:

Two wrongs don't make a right. The problem with your scenario is that the 'legacy' applicants are still getting in. This is why the democrats have lost the white's without a college degree vote - they are the ones that will get passed over, not the trust fund kid.

I'm 100% in favor of ending legacy admissions. 

I'm also in favor of poor whites and poor people of color recognizing they have way more in common than the elites want them to think, and then banding together to fight for better opportunities for their children.