• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Gameday Thread: Rangers @ Angels (9/6/21 6pm start): Barria on the mound

jsnpritchett

4 minutes ago, DCAngelsFan said:

He doesn't look like he's having nearly as much fun as before - I think the intense scrutiny and high expectations, however well-intentioned, puts an unreasonable amount of pressure on him, and I wouldn't be surprised if it's all stressing him out.    

Some physical and mental rest might do him some good

I'm not sure if it's physical, but it could be mental. I mean when the team isn't winning, there's no fun in losing. 

3 minutes ago, Chuckster70 said:

His pitching has been better in the second half, by quite a bit. 

First half: 3.49 ERA, 1.21 WHIP with 35 walks

Second half: 2.20 ERA, 0.87 WHIP with 6 walks. 

You can't have it all @Jason. Be thankful for the historical season we're witnessing by Ohtani. 

Every player has ups and downs at the plate and on the mound. He's way more in a groove from the mound than he is at the plate right now... I would argue not having a Trout and Rendon hitting behind him (Gosselin, really?) has something to do with him getting pitches right down the middle to hit... Which has been identified by all of the called strike pitches out of the zone that he's been getting called out on.

Agreed. I was referring to his bat. He's actually pitched like a top of the rotation guy in the second half. I still think he's the MVP and what he's done has been nothing less than incredible. With that said, he's still human and sustaining play at that high of a level on both sides was nearly impossible so his bat cooling off his no surprise. 

Which is why the two NL games and off day come at a perfect time.

He still takes his regular pitching turn on Friday, while getting three likely much needed days away from hitting.

He’s already had close to 550 PAs, plus all of the ASB stuff.   Did he ever have that many PAs, even in Japan?

Meanwhile, he’s made 60% of the starts that a 5 man rotation starter does for a full season.

Edited by Angel Oracle

5 minutes ago, Chuckster70 said:

I'm not sure if it's physical, but it could be mental. I mean when the team isn't winning, there's no fun in losing. 

I don't think it has anything to do with not having fun. The man may just be tired. Most ball players are wore out come September and they are either a position player or pitcher, not both. 

2 minutes ago, Jason said:

I don't think it has anything to do with not having fun. The man may just be tired. Most ball players are wore out come September and they are either a position player or pitcher, not both. 

He's young. Vlad Guerrero in 2004 played nearly every game in the field (RF) and got 4-5 at bats a game and because of his Sept tear that helped launch the Angels past the A's and into the postseason. 

When you're surrounded by other stars in the lineup (Ohtani has basically just Walsh hitting behind him) and you're in the playoff hunt, it gives you an extra edge. 

Just now, Chuckster70 said:

He's young. Vlad Guerrero in 2004 played nearly every game in the field (RF) and got 4-5 at bats a game and because of his Sept tear that helped launch the Angels past the A's and into the postseason. 

When you're surrounded by other stars in the lineup (Ohtani has basically just Walsh hitting behind him) and you're in the playoff hunt, it gives you an extra edge. 

It does make you wonder what his numbers would look like if he had protection in the line up. Pitching is hard work too so you factor that in and he's put in some serious work this season. It will be interesting to see how long he can play like this 

2 hours ago, Chuckster70 said:

Baseball is hard, @Blarg. Even the best of them have at bats, games and bad stretches. 

Let's focus on the positive here. Ohtani is doing stuff that no other player has ever done at this level. 

Also, I would add. That when you're getting pitches called well out of the strike zone it causes you to expand your zone as a hitter rather than that mental box you have in your head of where you need to attack a pitch. 

This is just absurd. 

Here's more...

Baseball is hard and he is worn out. He's been worse than Albert Pujols the last month at the plate, nothing to crow about.

I don't blame Ohtani for the fall off ( .202/.327/.426/.753 the last 28 games) I blame our manager that won't regulate his playing time so he is playing at his optimal best.

Having him hit in a hot day game after he threw 120+ pitches the night before, (just so he could bat in the 8th and struck out) it was was simply irresponsible by Maddon but that is just one example of riding this horse too hard. 

42 minutes ago, Blarg said:

Baseball is hard and he is worn out. He's been worse than Albert Pujols the last month at the plate, nothing to crow about.

I don't blame Ohtani for the fall off ( .202/.327/.426/.753 the last 28 games) I blame our manager that won't regulate his playing time so he is playing at his optimal best.

Having him hit in a hot day game after he threw 120+ pitches the night before, (just so he could bat in the 8th and struck out) it was was simply irresponsible by Maddon but that is just one example of riding this horse too hard. 

I think that's a fair take on this.