• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

2021-22 CBA Negotiation/Lockout Thread (DEAL IS AGREED TO)

mmc

8 minutes ago, eligrba said:

There are some tax advantages for businesses who experience temporary business losses.  Employees, not so much.  This looks more like beginnings of a Vicksburg than an actual contract battle.

Employees can easily benefit greatly, and they do.

Scenario 1:

Your business shows a $2 million dollar net taxable income and the owner pays huge taxes on that $2m.

Scenario 2:

The owner prefers to grow the business and not pay huge taxes on $2m, so he increases the salaries of a couple key people he really doesn’t ever want to lose, doubles the size of his research and development team and hires five new salespeople.  Now he has no net taxable income and there are more jobs and more income to employees, but he is building a bigger profit machine for the future.

Employees directly benefit.

6 minutes ago, Revad said:

I logged in to MLBTV and turned off automatic renewal so I can make a decision later on whether to subscribe for this year.

I haven’t looked. I’m assuming a price increase regardless of the season length.

41 minutes ago, mmc said:

Hope this ends anyone fooling themselves into believing Arte will go over the tax lmao

the funny part is that we all know that he was never going to and voting against it makes sense because if you're not going to spend that much then why not to restrict others from doing do?  plus, I think we all know what the max budget is going to be for the next five years.   

remember when people proposed adding carlos correa after the deadline?  that was awesome.  

there has, is, and always will be a pretty clear line in the sand.  

Just further confirms Arte doesn’t actually care about winning. He signs these big names to put butts in the seats. Nothing more. 

Makes sense as to why he doesn’t pay for pitching. That only guarantees butts in seats every 5th day. 

Like I’ve been saying, until he’s gone the Angels aren’t winning anything 

What I find hilarious is the players insistence on the fact that they're trying for a more competitive landscape. Then in the same breath they want this huge increase in the tax threshold. That only allows the richest teams to spend more money with less consequence. That's the very opposite of competitive balance. It's what makes me think they're so full of shit.

20 minutes ago, Make Angels Great Again said:

What I find hilarious is the players insistence on the fact that they're trying for a more competitive landscape. Then in the same breath they want this huge increase in the tax threshold. That only allows the richest teams to spend more money with less consequence. That's the very opposite of competitive balance. It's what makes me think they're so full of shit.

Throwing more money at players does not make your team more competitive. Many small market teams are just run better. Stupid decision my owners like Moreno make them losing teams year after year.

14 hours ago, Dtwncbad said:

Employees can easily benefit greatly, and they do.

Scenario 1:

Your business shows a $2 million dollar net taxable income and the owner pays huge taxes on that $2m.

Scenario 2:

The owner prefers to grow the business and not pay huge taxes on $2m, so he increases the salaries of a couple key people he really doesn’t ever want to lose, doubles the size of his research and development team and hires five new salespeople.  Now he has no net taxable income and there are more jobs and more income to employees, but he is building a bigger profit machine for the future.

Employees directly benefit.

I don't think you understand what I referenced regarding tax benifits for business owners who experience losses. 

11 minutes ago, eligrba said:

I don't think you understand what I referenced regarding tax benifits for business owners who experience losses. 

Maybe you don’t understand that the tax code is written to encourage business owners to invest back into their business (resulting in the “losses” you mention) rather than manage it purely for immediate taxable profit?

And that investment back into the business directly benefits employees.  That was the point.  You said the tax benefits don’t benefit employees and that was incorrect.

And don’t forget the big tax “benefit” of having a loss (or no net taxable income) is that they save the tax that would have been owed.

But that means they don’t get the income either.

$2m profit they pay $800k and keep $1.2m

Invest the $2m back into the business and they “save” the $800k but they also don’t have the remains net income as retained earnings.

So if you want to cite the big $800k tax savings benefit, you might consider that they also don’t end up with the post-tax net income of $1.2m.

Edited by Dtwncbad

42 minutes ago, Make Angels Great Again said:

The big PR campaign is that this labor dispute for the players is all about helping the younger players.

Yes, there are elements of what they want that helps younger players, but there is plenty of straight up strategy to negotiate terms that would allow a guy to make $50m a year instead of $30m.

The owners are full of shit with their public posturing, but so are the players.

Even their “poor us because we have away so much in the last deal” is strategic contrived messaging.