• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

OC Register: Shohei Ohtani’s schedule shows no signs of letting up

One of the most remarkable aspects of Shohei Ohtani’s historic season is also among the most easily overlooked.

Ohtani has appeared in 118 of the team’s first 124 games, second only to infielder David Fletcher. Other than scheduled off-days, Ohtani hasn’t had a day off since July 23 in Minnesota, midway through a road trip.

This week the Angels began a marathon schedule of 10 games in five cities over 11 days. Ohtani still hasn’t rested since leaving home. Manager Joe Maddon said he expects Ohtani to play Saturday and Sunday against the Cleveland Indians too, meaning his next day off will be Monday’s scheduled off-day.

“The fact that he’s a DH helps a lot,” Maddon said. “He’s not running out to a position. That’s where the American League, with a guy like him, has an advantage over the National League.”

Since the last time he missed a game entirely, Ohtani is hitting .275 with a .396 on-base percentage. His last home run was his 40th, which leads the major leagues. He’s also 4-0 with a 1.67 earned-run average in four starts as a pitcher during that span.

“If he’s a National League player right now, I don’t think you’d see the glorious numbers on both sides of the ball that you’re seeing right now,” Maddon said. “There’d be more of a reason to give him a day off either before or after he pitched, or both like had been done before, to make sure you’re not taking him to a level … where you’d be jeopardizing his career.”

Thursday afternoon in Detroit, Ohtani went 2 for 3 with two walks. Less than 24 hours earlier, he pitched eight innings of one-run baseball and homered from the leadoff spot. Now his case for the American League Most Valuable Player award hinges only on his health.

“From a baseball perspective,” Maddon said, “I hope people understand how difficult that is.”

TROUT UPDATE

After taking a day to rest in his rehab from a strained right calf, Mike Trout did early work in the outfield at Progressive Field. There is still no timeline for him to begin a minor league rehab assignment, Maddon said.

Neither have the Angels decided what position Trout will play upon his return. Trout hasn’t played a defensive position other than center field since Sept. 2013.

“As we’re on the comeback trail we’ll discuss the different options, get his feeling and his opinion on how he believes he’ll be able to handle that moment,” Maddon said. “Right now we’re still getting him there. Once we arrive at that point where he gets some rehab games in, we’ll address it at that point.”

ALSO

The Angels’ won-loss record has landed on .500 25 times this season, one short of the team record set in 2017. … During his pregame media interviews Maddon wore a blue T-shirt with yellow letters that spelled “Unico.” It’s a replica of his Little League jersey, which plans to wear again Sunday when the Angels play in the Little League Classic in Williamsport, Pennsylvania. … The family of longtime KLAA radio producer James Allen, who passed away suddenly on Wednesday, is raising money to support their expenses through a GoFundMe page.

UP NEXT

Angels LHP Reid Detmers (1-2, 7.04 ERA) at Cleveland RHP Triston McKenzie (2-5, 5.12 ERA), 1:10 p.m. Saturday, Bally Sports West, 830 AM

View the full article

If Trout does come back soon, where would the AW crew want to see him play? CF, RF, LF, DH or 1B? With Ohtani as the DH on most days, Trout in RF or 1B could help his career longevity by preserving his legs. I know it’s been talked about in other threads but have we seen the last of Trout in CF or even the OF?

Trout is not gonna play first base.

He won't DH unless Ohtani gets hurt.

He's gonna play in the outfield. I don't care where. I just want to see him play again this year.  

It's getting dicey though. The negative nancy naysayers must be patting themselves on the back and getting ready to pop the champagne 🍾 

13 hours ago, HanfordGuy said:

If Trout does come back soon, where would the AW crew want to see him play? CF, RF, LF, DH or 1B? With Ohtani as the DH on most days, Trout in RF or 1B could help his career longevity by preserving his legs. I know it’s been talked about in other threads but have we seen the last of Trout in CF or even the OF?

LF

On 8/21/2021 at 8:44 AM, Angel Oracle said:

14 weeks for a 6-8 weeks injury, something is seriously wrong.

Well, he said it was torn "pretty bad" as opposed to the drivel we heard from the team for three months, that it was merely "strained".

Anecdotal, but my brother tore his calf two years ago playing basketball and tells me he's still in pain. The doctors told him they can do nothing about it, but recommended pain pills.

I wonder if Trout will ever be the same again. What do we have him for, nine more years? 

8 minutes ago, fan_since79 said:

Well, he said it was torn "pretty bad" as opposed to the drivel we heard from the team for three months, that it was merely "strained".

Anecdotal, but my brother tore his calf two years ago playing basketball and tells me he's still in pain. The doctors told him they can do nothing about it, but recommended pain pills.

I wonder if Trout will ever be the same again. What do we have him for, nine more years? 

And there we have it.

The crack medical staff

Edited by Angel Oracle