• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Powerful Run vs. Selling

Torridd

I'm betting the hybrid approach. 

I know the odds are very long, but they're 5 games out still, should get help as the year goes on as injured players return...there's a chance, albeit a tiny one. 

Detmers, Barria, or Rodriguez can replace Heaney, and they can get at least one or two interesting prospects for him. He's gone, and it won't kill their chances.
Someone will overpay for Iglesias, so he's gone too. You'd think selling him means they're waving the white flag, but...

Perry needs to rebuild the pen this year or next year, so he might as well start now. I think they add two or three MLB-ready arms, either in the deals above, or buying by way of lesser names like Caleb Thielbar, Richard Bleier, Tanner Scott, Dylan Floro, Jace Fry, Kyle Zimmer...guys that won't command huge hauls but will be better, and controlled, over Watson, Cishek, Guerra. They drafted so may arms I think that they can safely deal away a couple from the R5 eligible contingent of Pina, Criswell, Tyler, Ortega, Yan, Hernandez, Higgins, even Warren or Wantz. I also think Bachman comes up, especially if they're in the race.

They'll keep the rest of the guys (maybe DFA a couple they can't dump), maybe even add one vet infielder like Asdrubal Cabrera or, if Walsh is out awhile, Carlos Santana and improve the margins without buying hard and see what happens. 

Edited by totdprods

21 minutes ago, Torridd said:

If you knew the team would make a power run in August and September but just miss the playoffs by one or two games, would you still want the team to be sellers? I'd like to see a run even if we don't make the playoffs.

It would be nice to see what this team is like with the offense healthy and an improved bullpen.  Maybe as was suggested elsewhere, we move some Rule 5 eligible players for relievers.

44 minutes ago, Torridd said:

If you knew the team would make a power run in August and September but just miss the playoffs by one or two games, would you still want the team to be sellers? I'd like to see a run even if we don't make the playoffs.

Hell yes! Sell!  We have assets that could help us acquire players that fill a need.

We can reacquire the players we trade in the off season if we make the right offer.

And in your scenario we still don't make the playoffs.

It will be a disaster if we dont trade Iglesias and Cobb don't make the playoffs and still lose them to FA.

1 hour ago, Torridd said:

I'd rather they make a run and fall short after selling if you want to talk about scenarios where the Angels fail but look good doing it.

The boys have done well enough in the face of injuries to their best players (outside Ohtani) and horrendous middle relief.  They deserve to see how close they can get to the playoffs.  Even if they were to go all out and trade R Iglesias, the return will not be so great as to make a significant impact on next season, at least not in any way that an effective GM can't match with judicious acquisitions.  I like the idea of sell small and utilize mid-level prospect pieces with the sole intent of shoring up the bullpen with arms that have at least another year of control.  

Sure, we're all armchair GMs on AW but I'll be watching and attending games until the end,so I'd far rather watch the next 61 games with them having some chance of the playoffs.  The alternative, the minor gains from a big sell-off, doesn't seem worth the trade off from this fans perspective.